Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2012, 02:29 AM   #841
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsten View Post
Is anybody using some kind of fork protection for his Sertao ? I'm a bit concerned when riding offroad that the polished surface of the upper pipes will be more and more scratched. I heard that this can cause some kind of "pitting" or spot corrosion.

Anybody tried something like that ???

Th.
Do a search on putting fork gators on an F650, it's been covered.

Some people think they might make the bike overheat others don't.
michael1968 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:35 AM   #842
thorsten
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1968 View Post
Do a search on putting fork gators on an F650, it's been covered.

Some people think they might make the bike overheat others don't.
Thank you, I went through and found same controversial discussion in German GS forums. Hard to believe that the fork gators reduce the airflow so much that the engine starts overheating. However, some riders prefer fork boots made of neoprene. Pro: They are easy to clean and do not disturb airstream. Contra: Moisture and dust between neoprene and fork could cause some corrosion

Th.
thorsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:42 AM   #843
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,132
I've been using the Touratech fork protectors on my Dakar for a couple years. Fork uppers still look fine...

2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:00 AM   #844
vansonbones
T.O.G. The Other Guy

Oddometer: 3
Question for Africa Twin RE: front beak

You said that BMW sent you a new fender after they strengthened it. Can I get more information? The dealership or BMW rep that you were dealing with would be great. I have the same issue and have found more on the web, but my lame dealer keeps telling me it is not covered. However, I don't think they even checked.

Thanks
Forum Newbie in DFW Texas
vansonbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #845
thorsten
Adventurer

fork gators

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I've been using the Touratech fork protectors on my Dakar for a couple years. Fork uppers still look fine...
Ok that's good news. I've seen them in the TT catalogue but thought they are brand new on the aftermarket and there is no experience with them. So I've just ordered them from Touratech as well.

Th.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #846
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,132
Quote:
Ok that's good news. I've seen them in the TT catalogue but thought they are brand new on the aftermarket and there is no experience with them. So I've just ordered them from Touratech as well.

Th.
You'll find that most of the aftermarket parts for the Sertao have been used on the F650GS/D for years.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:01 PM   #847
africa twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansonbones View Post
You said that BMW sent you a new fender after they strengthened it. Can I get more information? The dealership or BMW rep that you were dealing with would be great. I have the same issue and have found more on the web, but my lame dealer keeps telling me it is not covered. However, I don't think they even checked.

Thanks
Forum Newbie in DFW Texas
Yes when mine broke I went in and ordered one from my dealer. I didn't even ask about warranty figuring it was reasonably cheap ($50 Canadian) and probably not covered anyway. The dealer said it was back ordered and that it would take 2 weeks to come from Germany, he'd call when it came in. A month later he called and said the bad news is its going to be another month but the good news is its going to be covered under warranty. He said the reason for the delay was that BMW told him the the part was recognized as being weak and they were waiting for the new and improved part to be produced. Apparently the dealer then asked well shouldn't it be covered under warranty then and BM apparently told him yes he could cover it. In the end it took 9 weeks but I did just get it.
africa twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #848
vansonbones
T.O.G. The Other Guy

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by africa twin View Post
Yes when mine broke I went in and ordered one from my dealer. I didn't even ask about warranty figuring it was reasonably cheap ($50 Canadian) and probably not covered anyway. The dealer said it was back ordered and that it would take 2 weeks to come from Germany, he'd call when it came in. A month later he called and said the bad news is its going to be another month but the good news is its going to be covered under warranty. He said the reason for the delay was that BMW told him the the part was recognized as being weak and they were waiting for the new and improved part to be produced. Apparently the dealer then asked well shouldn't it be covered under warranty then and BM apparently told him yes he could cover it. In the end it took 9 weeks but I did just get it.
Can I get the name of the dealer?
vansonbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #849
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,440
Quote:

Th.

I've had them on my G650GS (09) for a while now as well. No issues to speak off. If yours look like mine, take some time to deburr the edges before you install it. I did and the plastic just slides through the SS guides without causing any wear on the plastic. Here is a quick install report: http://www.hmwrites.blogspot.com/201...rotectors.html

Oh, since then, I got rid off the small plastic fender altogether.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:48 AM   #850
thorsten
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrymartin View Post
I've had them on my G650GS (09) for a while now as well. No issues to speak off. If yours look like mine, take some time to deburr the edges before you install it. I did and the plastic just slides through the SS guides without causing any wear on the plastic. Here is a quick install report: http://www.hmwrites.blogspot.com/201...rotectors.html

Oh, since then, I got rid off the small plastic fender altogether.
Hi,

thank you. I'll have a look for sharp edges or burr prior to mounting. And report when finished of course

Th.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:54 AM   #851
africa twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansonbones View Post
Can I get the name of the dealer?
Serpa bmw in newmarket ontario canada
africa twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #852
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcridgerunner View Post
What a coincidence ! Two days ago, I was showing my friend how everything was so flexible on the Sertao : turn signal flashers..etc. I pushed the front beak down with little force and it snapped in front of the 4 connecting bolts ! I was so surprised. Will get a new part next Monday (52CAN$). There is a faulty design there, I am sure. Luckily, I have the Touratech low fender and can still ride.
I think its much too fragile, I had the same issue. Bike on center stand, had a friend press down gently to balance weight to front and SNAP! Much too weak in my opinion, I had to purchase a new one too.
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #853
Moebius
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
First time in the forum

Hi guys
I've been folowing this thread since it started and helped a lot to make my decision for the Sertão
I really love this bike.
It's my every day vehicle and I'm doing some dirt roads (when the wheather lets...) with my friends.
The fun is guaranteed with this bike, I love the way it make the turns specially on mountain roads.
Have done 2000km yet on my "Marlene" and last week when I went to the dealer to see some protection bars he told me that they were changing the front fenders due to a problem with the material. The fender is just the same, absolutely no difference between them the guy told me that they only changed the material it's made of.
They did the service right away and didn't charged anything.
Greetings from Brazil!

Moebius screwed with this post 08-11-2012 at 10:35 AM Reason: bad english...
Moebius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #854
bc_seattle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
dump question: re: checking engine coolant

I have a Sertao with the side stand but no center stand.

I get the oil checking procedure.

But on the coolant check... the manual says "park motorcycle" and then to check it through the recess in the GS emblem.

Does this mean on the side stand?

Thanks!

bc_seattle
bc_seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #855
Everett49
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorstwin View Post
Looking for some advice on Panniers and Tires:

1. Tires: I am a 50/50 rider (maybe 60 off road and 40 street) so I am looking for something that is good off-road but I don't have to change out every 2000 miles. I am considering Mefo Super Explorers or the K60 scouts. Any thoughts?

2. Panniers: I just did 1500 miles through Nevada and Utah and I had all of my gear on the back of my bike. That was OK, but too top heavy and I need some side bags. I have been looking at happy-trail, Pelican, SW-Motech and Touratech boxes. I have also considered Wolfman dry bags.

I am wondering thoughts on the pros and cons of each. I probably won't go with the more expensive Touratech option (although they look pretty amazing.) The Happy-Trail and Pelican are around the $800 range and that seems like a good middle ground.

I am worried that soft bags won't hold all of my camping gear, tools, etc. as well as a set of boxes would.

Thanks!!

http://flic.kr/p/cHHnHh
Have you thought about Giant Loop or Nomad bags? They keep the weight lower (I put the tools at each end at the lowest point). I had a top heavy rig too, but now it feels much better. The yellow drybag has light gear such as a tent and a thermarest. The bag is easy to keep off the hot pipes too.

Everett49 is offline   Reply With Quote