bc_seattle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
handle bars & mirror question

Ok so while I was enjoying the Sertao recently I:

- bent the right side handle bar down
- removed, with prejudice, my right mirror

Questions:

#1: assume you should replace, not attempt to repair / re-bend the handle bar?
#2: anything better than replacing it with the stock BMW bar? Don't want complicated mod but if there was a better replacement bar that works with all the "stuff" (throttle, break, clutch etc, hand warmers, all wiring etc) I'd be interested to hear about it.
#3: anything better than the stock BMW mirrors?

Thanks!

bc

bc_seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:56 AM   #992
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Getting cold out and bike has been in the shop for the last four weeks. Eight weeks total this summer and counting. They finally reproduced the issue and are waiting on BMW to tell them what to do. The decompression lever nor the valve adjustment helped at all. Last I heard, there was too much compression during a warm start. Extremely frustrated to say the least.
slider162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #993
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
bikeless

Slide, could BMW give you a loner while yours is in the shop? Can help relieve the tension of not being on a bike for so long. I have my Sertao in my garage while I await for my seat which has been with Renazco racing to get it reupholstered. Been 2 weeks, luckly I have my Triumph Bonneville to keep me entertained. Again sorry about your bike, (knock on wood) mine has been troubless since day one. Have a few rides coming up here in the northeast. Color of the Catskills and the Hammer Run, pic's will go up once I'm back from my adventures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider162 View Post
Getting cold out and bike has been in the shop for the last four weeks. Eight weeks total this summer and counting. They finally reproduced the issue and are waiting on BMW to tell them what to do. The decompression lever nor the valve adjustment helped at all. Last I heard, there was too much compression during a warm start. Extremely frustrated to say the least.
alskee750 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #994
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
Slide, could BMW give you a loner while yours is in the shop? Can help relieve the tension of not being on a bike for so long. I have my Sertao in my garage while I await for my seat which has been with Renazco racing to get it reupholstered. Been 2 weeks, luckly I have my Triumph Bonneville to keep me entertained. Again sorry about your bike, (knock on wood) mine has been troubless since day one. Have a few rides coming up here in the northeast. Color of the Catskills and the Hammer Run, pic's will go up once I'm back from my adventures.

I'm about to find out how well WI lemon law works. Saturday will be 30 consecutive days that it has been in the shop, which isn't required. The issue was originally reported in March. I beleive this is the fourth time I have had it in the shop for the same issue. I believe I have my bases covered.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #995
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer

Looks like I will be leaving this forum and heading over to Beasts. Dealer bought back my bike tonight. I picked out a shiny new Triumph Tiger 800 XC. I'll have a few things for sale if someone is interested once I can remove them from the Sertao (it is still at the dealer). Here is a list of what I plan on bringing home.

Adjustable Windshield Bracket, BMW G650GS / Sertao 2011-on

Fairing Crashbars, Stainless Steel, BMW F650GS (single) / G650GS / Sertao, 2001-on

Engine Crashbars, Stainless Steel, BMW F650GS / G650GS, 2001-on

300-0134 Large Sidestand Foot - F650GS (single) up to 2007

TOURATECH Centerstand F650GS-Dakar, G650GS Sertao

SW-MOTECH Steel Toprack (BMW F650GS, '04-'07, G650GS

Possibly the Low Front Fender, G650GS / Sertao, F650GS / Dakar if I can get away with it.

Left and Right side Vario cases with Bracket

I don't know what I want for everything yet. I just got home from the dealer and this is what I could think of off of the top of my head. PM me if you are interested. I don't want to mess up this thread with a bunch of stuff for sale.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:52 PM   #996
EMFC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Took mine on its first taste of dirt. Gravel, dirt, sand, huge tire eating ruts, rocks, drops, and tight turns. The bike shinned in this element. It was limited by two things:

1) Me
2) stock tires

Back on the highway, the wind always seems beat the crap out of me and seemed to have its way with the bike.
EMFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #997
Avner
Not noob anymore

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Looks like I will be leaving this forum and heading over to Beasts. Dealer bought back my bike tonight. I picked out a shiny new Triumph Tiger 800 XC. I'll have a few things for sale if someone is interested once I can remove them from the Sertao (it is still at the dealer). Here is a list of what I plan on bringing home.

Adjustable Windshield Bracket, BMW G650GS / Sertao 2011-on

Fairing Crashbars, Stainless Steel, BMW F650GS (single) / G650GS / Sertao, 2001-on

Engine Crashbars, Stainless Steel, BMW F650GS / G650GS, 2001-on

300-0134 Large Sidestand Foot - F650GS (single) up to 2007

TOURATECH Centerstand F650GS-Dakar, G650GS Sertao

SW-MOTECH Steel Toprack (BMW F650GS, '04-'07, G650GS

Possibly the Low Front Fender, G650GS / Sertao, F650GS / Dakar if I can get away with it.

Left and Right side Vario cases with Bracket

I don't know what I want for everything yet. I just got home from the dealer and this is what I could think of off of the top of my head. PM me if you are interested. I don't want to mess up this thread with a bunch of stuff for sale.
I hate to see you leave us Slider, but I'm glad the dealer finally made the right call.
How much for the Adjustable-Windshield-Bracket?
Avner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #998
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,085
Quote:
Looks like I will be leaving this forum and heading over to Beasts. Dealer bought back my bike tonight. I picked out a shiny new Triumph Tiger 800 XC.
Good you ended up with a satisfactory settlement. The Tiger should be a lot of fun, especially if you spend most of your time on pavement.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:57 AM   #999
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc_seattle View Post
Ok so while I was enjoying the Sertao recently I:

- bent the right side handle bar down
- removed, with prejudice, my right mirror

Questions:

#1: assume you should replace, not attempt to repair / re-bend the handle bar?
#2: anything better than replacing it with the stock BMW bar? Don't want complicated mod but if there was a better replacement bar that works with all the "stuff" (throttle, break, clutch etc, hand warmers, all wiring etc) I'd be interested to hear about it.
#3: anything better than the stock BMW mirrors?

Thanks!

bc
Since no one else has answered;

1. Yes and no, they are steel so probably could be bent back. I wouldn't.

2. Yes, any alloy dirt bike style bars, fat bars are usually best and you can easily get an adapto from the standard to fatbars. The bars should be $80 to 90 for a good brand and adapters maybe $30. You'll have to do a little modding but it's not that difficult, there's a bit of info over on f650.com

3. Better? Probably, there are some 'indestructible' mirrors out there but I just go for the cheapest thing I can find ($8 for a pair!) because I know they won't last long with the type of riding I do.

Cheers
michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #1000
DesertDav
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Curious??

Greetings G650GS owner/riders.
I posted awhile ago and am still researching (that's me, research things to death before I buy!) . Could some of you please let me know what the "yearly" service costs. I'm not looking for what BMW says it costs, I'd love to know from you what did your last straight annual service cost you? Preferably from US customers and California residents would be better, that's where I am. If in southern ca and you want to chime in on your experiences at your local dealership, that would really take it a step further.
Yes, I'm STILL on the fence between a couple dual sports! Unfortunately the monkey wrench in this whole process of mine is recently coming upon some bad reviews of the dealerships around my house and more than a couple of people have personally told me of problems with their new BMW's.
Honestly, I've come to the conclusion that the G650GS is the bike I'd prefer, and I'm willing to chance it with the wheel of fortune on whether I get a lemon or not. I really like the ABS aspect!
Anyways, any other thoughts would be welcome, as well...so thank you in advance!
D
DesertDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #1001
copter105
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDav View Post
I posted awhile ago and am still researching (that's me, research things to death before I buy!) . Could some of you please let me know what the "yearly" service costs. I'm not looking for what BMW says it costs, I'd love to know from you what did your last straight annual service cost you? Preferably from US customers and California residents would be better, that's where I am. If in southern ca and you want to chime in on your experiences at your local dealership, that would really take it a step further.
Yes, I'm STILL on the fence between a couple dual sports! Unfortunately the monkey wrench in this whole process of mine is recently coming upon some bad reviews of the dealerships around my house and more than a couple of people have personally told me of problems with their new BMW's.
Honestly, I've come to the conclusion that the G650GS is the bike I'd prefer, and I'm willing to chance it with the wheel of fortune on whether I get a lemon or not. I really like the ABS aspect!
Anyways, any other thoughts would be welcome, as well...so thank you in advance!
D
I guess it would depend on how much you ride, how hard you are on your bike, and how often you feel it is nessesary to change oil, tires etc... No matter what you think you are going to pay, in the end you will be forever on the search for new farkles, upgrades, different tires whatever. If you buy new, you will get a warranty.
copter105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:09 PM   #1002
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
It would probably help to know what part of town you are in if you are looking for dealer info. I bought my standard G650 from San Diego BMW and was happy with sales and service has been good too when I went in for the 600 mile service and for an electrical problem that was covered under warranty. Have heard the guys in Escondido are good and have also got good service from them when I was shopping around and when I went in for parts a couple times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDav View Post
D
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #1003
bc_seattle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1968 View Post
Since no one else has answered;

1. Yes and no, they are steel so probably could be bent back. I wouldn't.

2. Yes, any alloy dirt bike style bars, fat bars are usually best and you can easily get an adapto from the standard to fatbars. The bars should be $80 to 90 for a good brand and adapters maybe $30. You'll have to do a little modding but it's not that difficult, there's a bit of info over on f650.com

3. Better? Probably, there are some 'indestructible' mirrors out there but I just go for the cheapest thing I can find ($8 for a pair!) because I know they won't last long with the type of riding I do.

Cheers

Thanks Michael. Good advice, appreciate it.
bc_seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #1004
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Stuff...

I did go with a 2013 F800GS Kalamatta to replace my Sertao. Let me tell you, the Sertao certainly has character and does many things as well as (if not better than) than the (slightly?) heavier F800. The Sertao is a very solid bike along the lines of the classic Dakar and performs admirably. With the dual sports, life is a compromise and unless you're slabbing hundreds of miles (like I was), the Sertao is certainly a winner!

However, I still have a few spare parts that I'm willing to let another Sertao owner have - you just have to pick them up. It's a stock tool kit, spare brake/clutch lever (Dennis Kirks IIRC), shift lever (stock) and new "Mini Blinkers F650GS, Set of four" (Touratech). The bits are in San Jose CA, so if you want - just drop me a line and they're yours (be local or pick them up!)

Edit: "But wait, there's more!" Yeah, found a few other items too, a pair of stock rear turn signals (changed it for LED ones) and two busted ones (haha), one screw for the lens (go figure, cost me a buck or so) and a BMW clutch lever (adjustable, includes perch and what not)

PatrickM screwed with this post 09-23-2012 at 11:11 PM Reason: Adding more...
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:33 AM   #1005
Avner
Not noob anymore

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickM View Post
I did go with a 2013 F800GS Kalamatta to replace my Sertao. Let me tell you, the Sertao certainly has character and does many things as well as (if not better than) than the (slightly?) heavier F800. The Sertao is a very solid bike along the lines of the classic Dakar and performs admirably. With the dual sports, life is a compromise and unless you're slabbing hundreds of miles (like I was), the Sertao is certainly a winner!
How is the 800 on the highway compared to the Sertao?
Avner is offline   Reply With Quote