Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 01:36 AM   #1126
Ozi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Nice forest roads in autumn ! I tried to mount the GoPro to the bike like you have it - but got too much gello in the video from the 650 Sertao thumper vibration - so I found the GoPro was much smoother on my helmet. Good to see you not cutting the corners in that photo especially the rider at the back on a left - I like stand when the road is uncertain - but its hard on the Sertao to stand over 100kph as the footpegs are little too far forward and you cant get the right amount of lean angle. I wonder if anybody found a big difference with the kit to move em back?
Ozi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:37 AM   #1127
Avner
Not noob anymore

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozi View Post
Nice forest roads in autumn ! I tried to mount the GoPro to the bike like you have it - but got too much gello in the video from the 650 Sertao thumper vibration - so I found the GoPro was much smoother on my helmet. Good to see you not cutting the corners in that photo especially the rider at the back on a left - I like stand when the road is uncertain - but its hard on the Sertao to stand over 100kph as the footpegs are little too far forward and you cant get the right amount of lean angle. I wonder if anybody found a big difference with the kit to move em back?
I was about to ask you the same thing about standing up. I guess you do that because of the speeds you are going (you mentioned that your throttle has only two positions), but coming down from a 1200 where I was always standing on the pegs I now find myself sitting down a lot where the trail is somewhat predictable, and even on some technical passes.
I have the PivotPagz that make standing for hours an easier task, but I suspect you are much taller than me (5/11") and you'll certainly benefit from lowered pegs.
Avner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:55 AM   #1128
Missouribill
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by petepuma View Post
My local dealer just got one of these today, regardless if you think its just a dakar or not, it is quite a nice
Lookin bike. Price is $9500.00' ...... Thats kinda steep if you ask me, not sure if its 3 grand better than
Than a KLR?
The Sertao is fuel injected and comes with ABS standard (can be switched on/off). There's your 3 grand right there in my opinion.
Missouribill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:03 AM   #1129
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by missouribill View Post
the sertao is fuel injected and comes with abs standard (can be switched on/off). There's your 3 grand right there in my opinion.
yep
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:34 AM   #1130
Avner
Not noob anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribill View Post
The Sertao is fuel injected and comes with ABS standard (can be switched on/off). There's your 3 grand right there in my opinion.
+1 and add the heated grips, handling on the highway, MPG and lower COG. The Sertao is a clear winner!
I must share this photo I took yesterday after the storm - too much fun!
Old 10-31-2012, 10:50 AM   #1131
VitSports6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by avner View Post
+1 and add the heated grips, handling on the highway, mpg and lower cog. The sertao is a clear winner!
I must share this photo i took yesterday after the storm - too much fun!
nice!
Old 10-31-2012, 10:55 AM   #1132
Avner
Not noob anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitSports6 View Post
nice!
VitSports6 - notice that I'm missing all of the guards and the center-stand - I wonder why...
I dropped it off at the UPS store yesterday, but UPS did not pickup. It will start it journey to you and the other inmate today - thanks!
Old 10-31-2012, 11:52 AM   #1133
VitSports6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avner View Post
VitSports6 - notice that I'm missing all of the guards and the center-stand - I wonder why...
I dropped it off at the UPS store yesterday, but UPS did not pickup. It will start it journey to you and the other inmate today - thanks!
Very NICE!
Many thanks, I will try to put it to good use.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:38 PM   #1134
dr.cornelius
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avner View Post
+1 and add the heated grips, handling on the highway, MPG and lower COG. The Sertao is a clear winner!
I must share this photo I took yesterday after the storm - too much fun!
+2 also add a dozen more horses!
dr.cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #1135
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribill View Post
Yup, most people spend $3K on modifications to their KLR and its still not as good as a stock GS, no matter how much you blow on farkles, its still a KLR.

After owning both, I would gladly pay $3K more for a GS, the only thing I dont like is the laborious oil change procedure.
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:44 AM   #1136
Navythomas8
Go Pro, Go Snow

Oddometer: 16
2012 Sertao starting Issue's

It's at the dealer Getting the Decompression Lever Replaced.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ff74__JMbU
Navythomas8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:55 AM   #1137
Avner
Not noob anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navythomas8 View Post
Sorry about this, but I couldn't not laugh at 1:30 when you say: "And Barbie wants to be a bitch"...

I hope you get it fixed soon!
Old 11-02-2012, 08:44 AM   #1138
Murf2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 810
So, it beats a KLR. How does it compare with the 650 Terra? IYO

Murf
Murf2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #1139
dr.cornelius
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Having never owned a 650 terra I can only speculate as to how it rides. I did throw a leg over one last week. If your coming from a lighter duel sport bike it will feel like a tank, if your coming from a big adv bike, it will feel light. It feels alot like the Sertao weight wise. That being said, a stock Sertao off the showroom floor is an 80%street/20% dirt bike. A few mods and she can easily go to 50/50. It appears to me that the new husky is 50/50 outta' the box. Check out the 650 terra thread, they seem happy with the bike overall. For me personally? I like being able to, on a moments notice, pack my bike up and hit Interstate 70 and ride 300 miles@80mph, turn left and ride in the desert terrain of southern Utah or the mountain passes of the San Juan mountains, and be able to do that 3+ seasons. For me the Sertao works perfectly. The Terra looks to be worthy of the long slab, with some mods, i.e. windscreen , heated grips, maybe a seat. And there is the price point. I think you can get a new Terra for @7K OTD. A Sertao >9K. You do the math
dr.cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:23 AM   #1140
gus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navythomas8 View Post
Be sure and get a copy of the repair order invoice. I had to ask for one, and tell us what they did. I picked my bike up yesterday from the shop. The guy at the service counter is almost illiterate but that is another story. I read the original claim he filled out before I signed the OK and it was so bad it made no sense. He said he would correct it. He re wrote it this way:

Let me quote his writing: "in hot and cold conditions it hard to start and customer tinks it mite be the compression release vale mite not be working. He was looking on the forms and the battery keep geting week."

Recomendations: Make sure to keep an eye on the battery, it is not a maintenance free battery and needs to be filled with water. No SHIT! I told them I had to regularly fill the battery and clean the connections because of the load on the battery, wiring, and starter when the compression release does not work when the piston stopped before TDC on the compression stroke. I told them that the battery was serviced a month prior to bringing it in and the bike sat for 2 weeks to prove one no start condition. (weak battery).

Resolution: Battery had no water in it. Filled with water and fully charged. performed the BMW measure in bulletin
11 003 12 (015) regarding hard to start bikes. Charging the battery cures the no start problem after the bike sits for 2 weeks. The battery should not discharge this fast unless there is a drain or the battery is bad.

I was told there is no new lever yet. They shimmed the valve that the lever opens tighter to allow it to open more. This was a temporary fix they have been doing. I waited to file a claim until I heard the new lever had been available for 2 months. The service Guy even admitted they had changed one for a customer out after first denying they had even heard of the problem until I told them I found that hard to believe after reading numerous reports on different forums with owners having the same problems.
gus is offline   Reply With Quote