Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #1156
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenflo76 View Post
This question is for the owners who have experienced "hot start issues"
Do you use the kill switch or the key when you shut down the engine?
I seem to remember reading about this issue with the f650 singles. What is the procedure, if any stated in the manual?

I do not own one, but am looking to. Any input appreciated...
It doesn't matter. Key, switch, stall at a stop light. It became a safety issue for me. Stall it out taking off from a stop light and not being able to start it again wasn't something I was going to live with.
slider162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:31 AM   #1157
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider162 View Post
It doesn't matter. Key, switch, stall at a stop light. It became a safety issue for me. Stall it out taking off from a stop light and not being able to start it again wasn't something I was going to live with.
Slide, curious about your situation? Has it been resolved yet?
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:41 AM   #1158
Avner
Not noob anymore

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider162 View Post
I agree! There's no excuse for this, and it shouldn't matter whichever way the engine stopped - key, kill-switch, side-stand or stalled. It should ALWAYS start, and BMW needs to make it right for the people who are still having this issue - I would be furious.

Personally - I got my Sertao in June and used it for 5,000 miles of 50/50 dirt and pavement using MOSTLY the kill-switch or the side-stand off-road so I don't forget to turn the ABS off, and off-course stalled it numerous times. I never had any issues starting it again on 40f to 100f days, so I'd dismiss the method of shutting off the bike as a contributing factor to this issue.
Avner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:56 AM   #1159
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avner View Post
I agree! There's no excuse for this, and it shouldn't matter whichever way the engine stopped - key, kill-switch, side-stand or stalled. It should ALWAYS start, and BMW needs to make it right for the people who are still having this issue - I would be furious.

Personally - I got my Sertao in June and used it for 5,000 miles of 50/50 dirt and pavement using MOSTLY the kill-switch or the side-stand off-road so I don't forget to turn the ABS off, and off-course stalled it numerous times. I never had any issues starting it again on 40f to 100f days, so I'd dismiss the method of shutting off the bike as a contributing factor to this issue.

Avner, did you also have the hotstart issue? I thought you moved up CC for long distance riding?
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:22 AM   #1160
Avner
Not noob anymore

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
Avner, did you also have the hotstart issue? I thought you moved up CC for long distance riding?
No, I never had that issue. When I picked up the bike the dealer said it was corrected at the factory before shipping. I am moving up on the CC and it will actually happen tomorrow... I will miss this forum for sure!
Avner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #1161
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
Slide, curious about your situation? Has it been resolved yet?
In a sense, yes. I no longer own a Sertao. The dealer bought it back from me because I was going to lemon law it. I'm thrilled with my new Triumph 800xc which the dealer gave me a nice deal on because of my experience with BMW.

The last time I was at the dealer in September, they had three Sertaos with the hot start issue. While I was there removing parts, they had a brand new one with four miles on it. The mechanic was on a test drive and stalled it at a stop sign. They had to tow it back to the shop. There was a service bulletin that came out in September that was supposed to address the issue. Whether the issue was actually resolved, I don't know. I have been out of the loop since September. All I know is they had to replace the cam in my Sertao because it was badly scored due to the hot start issue. It builds too much compression (over 200 psi) and that pressure isn't relieved properly. This mimics a dead battery situation which is throwing many riders and mechanics down the wrong path in troubleshooting. If you hit the starter the first time, it won't even turn over. Hit it the second time and it will turn over with a few "pops", but no fire. This is NOT the fault of a dead or weak battery.

I'm not tying to cry wolf or scare people. I just want everyone to be informed. The hot start issue will damage your engine eventually. Specifically the cam shaft. I would recommend everyone take their bike in and have a warm and hot compression check per the service bulletin regardless of whether or not they are having starting issues.
slider162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #1162
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,197
What's really odd is BMW produced essentially the same engine from 2004-2010 without this issue, wonder how they managed to F it up.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #1163
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
What's really odd is BMW produced essentially the same engine from 2004-2010 without this issue, wonder how they managed to F it up.
Here's a tid bit for ya: I had an '08 X Country (exact same engine). It had these same hot-start issues/symptoms. Dealer replaced the battery 3 times.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #1164
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
Wow, 12,000km on mine and not a hint of a problem, sounds like it could be a bad batch? Sorry to hear about it, I'm loving mine and hope it stays that way.

Any word on a BMW recall to have these fixed?
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #1165
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durden View Post
Any word on a BMW recall to have these fixed?
Yes. There is a 'silent recall' on the decompression mechanism.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1#post19998691
Old 11-09-2012, 08:36 AM   #1166
homme de fer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Starting Issues

I have a couple "Hot Start" issues on my Sertao that have popped up.

The compression thing is something that I've had for a few months. The engine spins one rotation then just stops. I simply push the button again and it starts.

Problem number 2 is more troublesome and getting worse. A few weeks ago, a buddy and I went for a ride on a cold day but had to fill-up at a gas station within 5 minutes of leaving my place. The bike wouldn't restart, sounding like it was flooding. I went full throttle and it started but I was concerned. It's happened a dozen times since then but it starts when I roll full throttle.

I've got 8200 kms on the odo and was hoping to roll up to 10 000 kms before the end of the season so I can have it all taken cared of at the next maintenance schedule but it looks like I'll have to wait till next spring.
homme de fer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:46 AM   #1167
SouthAfricanRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Water pump malfunction - off the saddle for 2 weeks

Howdy partners,

I've been watching this thread for some time now, thanks for all the info and pics, its been great following fellow adventurers!

My Sertao is in for a water pump replacement after 7000km. Has anyone had this issue? BMW South Africa doesnt have the part in stock as they claim it is a very rare piece to replace? they've had to order it from Germany which takes +- 2 weeks. Luckily i managed to push some weight around and they gave me the new F800 for the interim. Thought i would love it and even told the Sales guy to mail me pricing etc. After 2 days in the saddle im dying to get my Sertao back!

luckily i havent experienced any hot start issues and am a little cautious to bring up the issue seeing as though i havent had any problems, i dont want to fix something that doesnt seem broken?

Anyway, any info on the water pump would be nice...

Thanks chaps, keep the pictures and stories coming!

All my best

SouthAfricanRider
SouthAfricanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:53 AM   #1168
katoong
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Hi (from a fellow South African in Tasmania)

I've put 4000km on my Sertao now with Zero issues! Maybe I have the lucky bike
http://www.bikepics.com/members/pantsula/12g650gs/

7000km for a water pump failure sounds like you had a "lemon" water pump... Thank goodness for warranty!

Good luck!
Cornelius,
Hobart, Tasmania, AUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthAfricanRider View Post
Howdy partners,

I've been watching this thread for some time now, thanks for all the info and pics, its been great following fellow adventurers!

My Sertao is in for a water pump replacement after 7000km. Has anyone had this issue? BMW South Africa doesnt have the part in stock as they claim it is a very rare piece to replace? they've had to order it from Germany which takes +- 2 weeks. Luckily i managed to push some weight around and they gave me the new F800 for the interim. Thought i would love it and even told the Sales guy to mail me pricing etc. After 2 days in the saddle im dying to get my Sertao back!

luckily i havent experienced any hot start issues and am a little cautious to bring up the issue seeing as though i havent had any problems, i dont want to fix something that doesnt seem broken?

Anyway, any info on the water pump would be nice...

Thanks chaps, keep the pictures and stories coming!

All my best

SouthAfricanRider
katoong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:02 AM   #1169
SouthAfricanRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by katoong View Post
Hi (from a fellow South African in Tasmania)

I've put 4000km on my Sertao now with Zero issues! Maybe I have the lucky bike
http://www.bikepics.com/members/pantsula/12g650gs/

7000km for a water pump failure sounds like you had a "lemon" water pump... Thank goodness for warranty!

Good luck!
Cornelius,
Hobart, Tasmania, AUS

Howzit Boet :")

Nice to know there are some Safas on the forum!

I did 7000 without any problems and thought the bike was bulletproof. Anyway lets hope this will be the last. Doesnt leave me with much confidence though with December holidays around the corner and me wanting to do some out of town riding!

Thanks for the reply :)

Regards
Sheldyn
SouthAfricanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:47 AM   #1170
katoong
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthAfricanRider View Post
Howzit Boet :")

Nice to know there are some Safas on the forum!

I did 7000 without any problems and thought the bike was bulletproof. Anyway lets hope this will be the last. Doesnt leave me with much confidence though with December holidays around the corner and me wanting to do some out of town riding!

Thanks for the reply :)

Regards
Sheldyn
How did you know it was the water pump? Did the bike overheat?
katoong is offline   Reply With Quote