Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 08:45 AM   #1261
EMFC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I waited 20 minutes and it fired right up, the dealer is going to get an earful here (as soon as I finish eating my breakfast.)
EMFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #1262
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroman View Post
Hot start issue?

While in this topic; will it be reasonable to request the fix of this issue from the dealer before taking delivery of the bike and avoid having it altogether?

Looks like this iis a known issue and BMW is aweare. And right now if this cant be done at purchase it will be a deal breaker and go to the other option (wee strom).

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

The strom is a totally different machine

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:55 AM   #1263
Kim_uk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
I wouldn't call it a deal breaker.

Pick the bike based on what is best for you not based on which one may involve the inconvenience of taking it in to BMW to have the decompression lever replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroman View Post
Hot start issue?

While in this topic; will it be reasonable to request the fix of this issue from the dealer before taking delivery of the bike and avoid having it altogether?

Looks like this iis a known issue and BMW is aweare. And right now if this cant be done at purchase it will be a deal breaker and go to the other option (wee strom).
Kim_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #1264
EMFC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim_uk View Post
I wouldn't call it a deal breaker.

Pick the bike based on what is best for you not based on which one may involve the inconvenience of taking it in to BMW to have the decompression lever replaced.
Inconvenience really? It's a brand new bike that shouldn't have these issues to begin with and if BMW knows about it why are they waiting for us to call them?
EMFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #1265
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
Remember not all bikes have this issue, many of us have over 10,000km with no issues whatsoever. The bikes come with 3 years warranty and from experience BMW is easy to deal with should you have any issues in that time.

I broke my heated grip switch because it filled up with dust and I tried to turn it on, BMW was quick to replace at no cost. I couldn't be happier with the Sertao even if I eventually need a decompression lever (which I doubt I will).
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #1266
Avner
Not noob anymore

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durden View Post
Remember not all bikes have this issue, many of us have over 10,000km with no issues whatsoever. The bikes come with 3 years warranty and from experience BMW is easy to deal with should you have any issues in that time.

I broke my heated grip switch because it filled up with dust and I tried to turn it on, BMW was quick to replace at no cost. I couldn't be happier with the Sertao even if I eventually need a decompression lever (which I doubt I will).
Durden,

You are always dead-on with your analyses, and your posts are one of the reasons I bought my Sertao back in June. My sale-person (who is highly regarded and respected in the ADV community) assured me that the decompression lever was replaces, and 5,000 miles of abuse later the Sertao never missed a beat. Just read through the forum - yes, there's a real issue here with the lever and BMW should issue a recall and handle it properly. However, as far as I know - this is the ONLY issue the bike has, and it can be easily (depends who your dealer is) corrected! Everyone need to take things in perspective here - are there any other real issues with the bike? In my opinion there are none.
Avner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #1267
robram
Trilheiro

Oddometer: 30
Hi, I live in Brazil, and here the Sertao rate around $ 16.000.

I bought one to travel around south america.

2013 January 2 going to Paraguay, Argentina, Bolivia (to cross desert from Uyuni to Reserva Eduardo Avaroa) and Chile (crossing Paso San Francisco and Pircas Negras)

My Brazilians acessories:

Mitas E07 tyres

robram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:27 AM   #1268
Bronson1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Some info and thoughts

I've been following this thread for a couple of months and thanks for all the usefull info. I purchased a new sertao the last day of November. In the first 300 miles I had what seemed to be the hot start problem. She would crank but not fire, but after about 3 tries she would start. Once this happened and on the 2nd try it just locked up but on the next try I opened the throttle and she fired right up. When I called the dealer they said they had never heard of this hot start problem but would research bmw files and see what they could find. When they got back they said the problem was related to bikes with serial numbers AFTER mine and therefore did not relate to my bike. My bike was made 3-2012. They did say they wanted to check mine out ASAP. So after getting a few more miles on it and having the problem 3 more times I sent it in to be checked out and get the run-in service done.(this was $200 which i agree is high for for what they do) . Well when I got it back they could not find anything wrong. I urged them to ride it as much as possible to see the problem but after 50 miles they still could not get it to happen. They thought it must be a loose connection. I guess we'll see with time.
Bronson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:33 AM   #1269
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronson1 View Post
I've been following this thread for a couple of months and thanks for all the usefull info. I purchased a new sertao the last day of November. In the first 300 miles I had what seemed to be the hot start problem. She would crank but not fire, but after about 3 tries she would start. Once this happened and on the 2nd try it just locked up but on the next try I opened the throttle and she fired right up. When I called the dealer they said they had never heard of this hot start problem but would research bmw files and see what they could find. When they got back they said the problem was related to bikes with serial numbers AFTER mine and therefore did not relate to my bike. My bike was made 3-2012. They did say they wanted to check mine out ASAP. So after getting a few more miles on it and having the problem 3 more times I sent it in to be checked out and get the run-in service done.(this was $200 which i agree is high for for what they do) . Well when I got it back they could not find anything wrong. I urged them to ride it as much as possible to see the problem but after 50 miles they still could not get it to happen. They thought it must be a loose connection. I guess we'll see with time.
It is no longer a matter of "reproducing the issue." We now know that the issue is compression. Did they do a compression check per the service bulletin? If so, ask them for the numbers. If they didn't do one, then they didn't read the service bulletin.
slider162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #1270
homme de fer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
The service manager at my BMW dealership didn't know anything about the recall when I took mine back and disregarded my belief that I had a problem with the decompression lever. A couple hours after dropping it off, and experiencing the hot start issue at the dealership, he called me back to apologize because he found the alert. Now that the lever's been changed, she starts perfect every time.

The "hot start" issue is nothing but an inconvenience with an easy fix. If a bike has the problem, they fix and you're on your way.
homme de fer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #1271
ScopeBite
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Newbie with Oil Everywhere!

Hi All,

Long time lurker....first time poster. I thought I should post an issue that occured this week that is keeping me off the roads and trails.

My basic Sertao Info.
Bought in July 2012
1st Service about 600 Miles.
Starting and False Neutral issue up to the first service.
False Neutral issue seems to persist now and again.
A couple of decent trips and several single day trips.
The bike currently has 2700 miles on it. (I know I dont get out enough)

So...I was preparing for a 2 day ride on Christmas Eve. Decided to run around the block for a warm up to check the oil properly. As I was getting back to the house I noticed alot of smoke and smell. I parked the bike in front of the garage and there is oil everywhere....On me, the boxes and all over the engine. It appears as oil was just oozing out of every possible seam. I realize it the airflow will put oil everywhere so I could not tell where it is originating from. It is not coming from the top fill tank or cap from what I can tell.

I went Christmas shopping the day before (because I could) and had no issues what so ever. (Great parking BTW)

Anywho....trip canceled and the bike is at the dealership as of yesterday. I have not heard anything from them but wanted to see if anyone else has had any issues with oil oozement. I will keep you posted on the progress if you wish.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
ScopeBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #1272
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeBite View Post
Hi All,

Long time lurker....first time poster. I thought I should post an issue that occured this week that is keeping me off the roads and trails.

My basic Sertao Info.
Bought in July 2012
1st Service about 600 Miles.
Starting and False Neutral issue up to the first service.
False Neutral issue seems to persist now and again.
A couple of decent trips and several single day trips.
The bike currently has 2700 miles on it. (I know I dont get out enough)

So...I was preparing for a 2 day ride on Christmas Eve. Decided to run around the block for a warm up to check the oil properly. As I was getting back to the house I noticed alot of smoke and smell. I parked the bike in front of the garage and there is oil everywhere....On me, the boxes and all over the engine. It appears as oil was just oozing out of every possible seam. I realize it the airflow will put oil everywhere so I could not tell where it is originating from. It is not coming from the top fill tank or cap from what I can tell.

I went Christmas shopping the day before (because I could) and had no issues what so ever. (Great parking BTW)

Anywho....trip canceled and the bike is at the dealership as of yesterday. I have not heard anything from them but wanted to see if anyone else has had any issues with oil oozement. I will keep you posted on the progress if you wish.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Are you sure it was oil and not coolant? I had a coolant leak, but haven't heard of any oil issues.
slider162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #1273
ScopeBite
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider162 View Post
Are you sure it was oil and not coolant? I had a coolant leak, but haven't heard of any oil issues.
No I am 100% positive it is oil. If it turns out to be coolant though I will seriously have to rethink my troubleshooting ability. I am pretty sure I would lose some bro points too.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #1274
trrt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
I had (a much more minor) oil seepage issue from around filler cap. Asked dealer to look at it at first service and they said an O-ring was missing.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Ride a White Swan, or a White G650GS 2011
trrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #1275
ScopeBite
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrt View Post
I had (a much more minor) oil seepage issue from around filler cap. Asked dealer to look at it at first service and they said an O-ring was missing.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Okay got a call from the dealer and went down to investigate and pick up my bike. It looks like oil was filling up in the air box (which I was told i should be draining) and it got to a point where it overflowed and blew out all over. The dealer stated that it is either due to over filling the oil (which is not the case) dropping the bike (Last time I droped it was 2 months ago) or riding in a high gear at a very low speed which causes pressure to build (more likely the case)......I had never heard of this happening....however looking at some similar symptoms in the Dakar thread that this is can be a common occurance. That being said.....I guess no harm no foul. No Charge from the dealer or tow service and I guess I screwed up my ride for this week. I am happy that there isnt a serious issue. I guess I overlooked the part that I should be checking this out.

Anyone else had this happen to a point where it blows out all over? Anyone call BS on the issue or does this sound about right?

Thanks for the feedback!

ScopeBite screwed with this post 12-28-2012 at 04:04 PM