Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:19 AM   #1337
jwnsc
Hang in there.

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane Francks View Post
I suspect it was a G650GS vs. G650GSS

At the risk of being labeled a heretic, I figured that was comparing apples to apples. A couple inches difference in front wheel diameter, ground clearance, front and rear suspension make that much difference on a 425+ pound bike shod with the same tires, when going a few mph faster over tough terrain is not an factor?

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-
mindedness." Mark Twain

jwnsc screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 08:11 PM
jwnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:59 AM   #1338
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 620
Loving it!

I am crazy about my little sertao! I have 4,000 miles on it with the TKC 80's and they are toast. I am not using the bike off road much at all. I live in Vermont and want to do more and more touring on backroads and dirt roads. I try to avoid the highways like the plague! Looking at Mefo Explores or Mitas E07's. Or do I just get the stock Tourances? I want good traction on dirtroads, but safe and long lasting on pavement. Any suggestions?
I added the low front fender thank god cause the beak broke at the 4 mounting bolts. I was going to talk to a good buddy that is the best fabricator I've ever met and see if we can brace up that area.
I have a Wofman enduro tank bag and the rear racks as well as the dry side bags and I love them. getting the medium dry duffle and rotopax fuel cans next.
I am also considering the following:
1. Arrow exhaust and a tool tube to replace the catalytic converter.
2. Garmin Zumo 660LM kit from Touratech. Power cable and mounting kit above the speedo.
Anyone like these?

Then I'm going to kit the bike out with a host of other goodies.

I did have the hot start issue and my dealer replaced the decompression lever. Warrantied and not one issue since.

I ordered the Dakar progressive fork springs from touratech but they were a few inches short so they took them back no problem. They really didn't know what was going to happen regarding a proper length spring. Has anyone found springs that fit?

Thanks!
kdennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #1339
Bronson1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
GPS above speedo

I'd love to see a picture of the broken beak. I have been worried about that happening to mine when off road. It sure looks like a weak spot.
Now about the tourtech zumo mounted above the speedo. I can't say about the 6100 but I Installed one for the zumo 220 using their holder and bracket but it would not work. The holder hit the windscreen when mounted to the 1/2" bar. And the GPS would not rotate up to where you could see it. The furthest it would point was at your croch and would hit the screen at that point. I think it would have worked on a regular GS with the shorter screen but not really sure.
I also just installed tourtech upper faring crash guards in black and like them. I chose the the black over the stainless because matched the black frame used on the sertao.
Bronson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #1340
mimo523
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
crashbars

Who makes that crashbar? It looks like it has footpegs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robram View Post
Bolivia trip

Reserva Eduardo AVaroa

From Uyuni to Chile Border Laguna Verde.

My son and I.

13 days, 8000 km, more than half in off road condicions.

Paraguai, Argentina, Bolivia, Chile.
Purmamarca, Iruya, La Quiaca, Tupiza, Uyuni, San Cristobal, Alota, Susquez, San Antonio de los Cobres, Abra del Acay, Cachi, Cafayate, Fiambala, Pasos San Francisco and Pircas Negras.

mimo523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #1341
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Thanks,
I'll look into the mounting of the gps
Old 01-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #1342
Smallwires
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
I am crazy about my little sertao! I have 4,000 miles on it with the TKC 80's and they are toast. I am not using the bike off road much at all. I live in Vermont and want to do more and more touring on backroads and dirt roads. I try to avoid the highways like the plague! Looking at Mefo Explores or Mitas E07's. Or do I just get the stock Tourances? I want good traction on dirtroads, but safe and long lasting on pavement. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
I'm running Heidenau k60's, run quiet on the slab and hook-up great in the dirt. I have 5000mi on mine, just switched back to the tourance's for the rainy season. Was commuting 80mi a day and playing in the dirt on the weekends. So far good for wear and no cupping/ shouldering. Also rear is a bargin in the 17"/ 130.
Smallwires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #1343
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronson1 View Post
I'd love to see a picture of the broken beak. I have been worried about that happening to mine when off road. It sure looks like a weak spot.
Now about the tourtech zumo mounted above the speedo. I can't say about the 6100 but I Installed one for the zumo 220 using their holder and bracket but it would not work. The holder hit the windscreen when mounted to the 1/2" bar. And the GPS would not rotate up to where you could see it. The furthest it would point was at your croch and would hit the screen at that point. I think it would have worked on a regular GS with the shorter screen but not really sure.
I also just installed tourtech upper faring crash guards in black and like them. I chose the the black over the stainless because matched the black frame used on the sertao.

I looked at the touratech website again closely and it looks like the mount for your 220 is larger than the mount for the 660. I'll call them and see what's what.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #1344
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwires View Post
I'm running Heidenau k60's, run quiet on the slab and hook-up great in the dirt. I have 5000mi on mine, just switched back to the tourance's for the rainy season. Was commuting 80mi a day and playing in the dirt on the weekends. So far good for wear and no cupping/ shouldering. Also rear is a bargin in the 17"/ 130.

My buddy has the K60's. Are they more off road than dirt/paved?
Old 01-23-2013, 07:17 PM   #1345
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by robram View Post
what is the other bike?
Old 01-24-2013, 12:37 AM   #1346
ar1814
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
what is the other bike?
Honda Crosstourer 1200

ar1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:14 AM   #1347
grizzlyj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
TT do a gps bracket that seems to use the windscreen bolts to move the actual gps mount to a good position. I've not seen one, more money etc but would seem to work? Part number 01-300-5415-0

http://shop.touratech.co.uk/gps-moun...l#!prettyPhoto

grizzlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:16 AM   #1348
dr.cornelius
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
My buddy has the K60's. Are they more off road than dirt/paved?
I have been running the K-60's on my Sertao, and they work equally well both on and off road. That said, the front has a tendency to wash out a bit in the dirt, some riders are using a more dirt oriented front tire and the k-60 on the rear. I have had exceptional tread wear on the rear tire. (7000+ miles).
With regard to the GPS and mount, I have the TT above gauge set up for the garmin Montana 600 series, it puts the GPS right in your center lower field of vision, you can still read the gauges, and I can see it over my tank bag. The only drawbacks are price, and a lot of vibration under certain circumstances, but I think you could remedy the vibration with some type of bracing.
dr.cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:01 AM   #1349
Bronson1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
GPS mount

In regards to the 300-5415 mount. It does move the GPS mount out but it is not enought on a sertao screen. This is what I have on my bike and with the 065-0013 MvG lockable mount it still hits the windscreen and will not work. Tourtech has been advised of this problem.
Bronson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #1350
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Back when I bought my Sertao my dealer said to run the cheap stuff. The 87 octane. But I just picked a copy of Adventure Motorcycling Handbook and they say that the bike has an 11.5:1 compression ratio and therefore needs to run 91 octane. I always put a little Star-tron ethanol treatment in every time I top off. What is the right thing to do?
Thanks