Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #1351
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
+1 on the Heidenau K60s, I got over 10,000km on my last rear, probably will get double that on the front. They are a great compromise for street/dirt riding.

The beak should be warrantied, mine busted off (pushing down on it) and I bought a new one for $40 at the dealership.

As far as I'm concerned unless you are running that ethanol blend crap, 87 octane should be fine.
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #1352
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Awesome Durden.
I checked out your site on your calgary trip. Could you perhaps list your bike mods and luggage choices?
I started doing small overnights in the northeast last year to cut my teeth. This year I'm going to start small and work up to VT to Nova Scotia on as many back roads as possible. I have young boys so it may be my only longer tour this year. I am really kitting my bike up by this spring. I have Wolfman Expedition dry panniers with side racks and an Enduro tank bag so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durden View Post
+1 on the Heidenau K60s, I got over 10,000km on my last rear, probably will get double that on the front. They are a great compromise for street/dirt riding.

The beak should be warrantied, mine busted off (pushing down on it) and I bought a new one for $40 at the dealership.

As far as I'm concerned unless you are running that ethanol blend crap, 87 octane should be fine.

kdennan screwed with this post 01-25-2013 at 01:09 PM Reason: spelling error
kdennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:23 AM   #1353
grizzlyj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
Back when I bought my Sertao my dealer said to run the cheap stuff. The 87 octane. But I just picked a copy of Adventure Motorcycling Handbook and they say that the bike has an 11.5:1 compression ratio and therefore needs to run 91 octane. I always put a little Star-tron ethanol treatment in every time I top off. What is the right thing to do?
Thanks
My bike has a sticker on the filler cap saying 91 minimum. The "cheap stuff" seems to vary a lot, 95 is the lowest normally available in the UK http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Is it unrealistic to assume every gps fit on every bracket on every bike?

So the Montana fits fine in the TT lockable mount on the windscreen bracket I posted earlier, but bigger (Zumo 660?) doesn't? Smaller would be fine too?
grizzlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:15 AM   #1354
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Doi!
I just read wiki site on octane ratings. So I now know something:)
Sertao has an 11.5:1 compression ratio and is rated for 91 RON octane fuel.... In the U.S. that translates to 87 Regular Unleaded. Phew! So I have been running the correct gas afterall. I also add a little Star-tron ethanol treatment everytime I top off. I run that stuff in all my small engines and use this cool engineered, ethanol free 50:1 fuel called True Fuel in all my chainsaws and small 2-strokes.
Nothing but the best for my babies!

kdennan screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 04:16 AM Reason: spelling error
Old 01-27-2013, 04:26 AM   #1355
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

I think I read somewhere that guy's were bolting hockey pucks to their sidestands. What do you think?
Old 01-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #1356
robram
Trilheiro

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo523 View Post
Who makes that crashbar? It looks like it has footpegs.

The crashbar is made in Brazil by http://www.motopointrc.com.br/motopo....php?codigo=35 by german guy.

And the footpegs are home made by me.

robram is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #1357
robram
Trilheiro

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
what is the other bike?
Is my son on a Honda XRE 300.

Im with XRE300 in Transamzonica route Brazil

http://honda.com.br/motos/Paginas/nova-xre-300.aspx

My stories:
Traveling with a 300cc on transamazonica Brazil, post and pics.
http://www.mochileiros.com/transamaz...os-t73440.html

Traveling around Paraguay, Argentina, Bolivia and Chile with my son.
http://www.bmw650gs.net/viewtopic.ph...=1991&start=20
robram is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #1358
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Awesome Durden.
I checked out your site on your calgary trip. Could you perhaps list your bike mods and luggage choices?
I started doing small overnights in the northeast last year to cut my teeth. This year I'm going to start small and work up to VT to Nova Scotia on as many back roads as possible. I have young boys so it may be my only longer tour this year. I am really kitting my bike up by this spring. I have Wolfman Expedition dry panniers with side racks and an Enduro tank bag so far.
When I rode my KLR to Mexico I had thousands of dollars worth of mods, for my first trip with the Sertao it was pretty much stock and was an amazing bike. A few things I had and/or would recommend are:

Dakar High Seat - this was the best mod I bought for the bike, for me the high seat is soooo much more comfortable than the stock seat, it also gives you a lot more leg room and eliminates the need for highway pegs. For me this completed this as the perfect bike for me. If you are shorter it may make a bike a bit high, but I think its perfect (I'm 5'11)

Center Stand - Although its hard to get a loaded bike up on the stand, it makes it easy to do maintenance.

Radiator Guard - If you are riding gravel, i recommend putting on a rad guard, or at the least, toss some metal screen mesh over the front of the rad.

Ortleib Dry Bags - people can debate hard vs. soft panniers, but if you want an awesome light weight option for luggage, the ortleib dry bags are amazing. I have gone through days of heavy rain and never had a drop of water get in these bags. I had to order the Happy Trails SL Side Racks so the soft bags would stay off the exhaust. The racks and bags are not a cheap combination, but they work great, and are easy to take on and off.

Wolfman Tankbag - Quality and weather proof. Anything with the Wolfman label is a quality product and worth every penny. I have had nothing but satisfaction using their products.

Adventure Tech Tail Light - LED bright, programmable flashing tail light, really keeps cars back at a safe distance and lets them know if you hit the breaks.

Rotopax Fuel Tank, mounts neatly to the stock rack.

Touratech Swag - I like touratech parts, they are expensive, but quality items. I bought the headlight guard, sidestand extension and a rear licenseplate reinforcement bracket. I could of lived without these items, but like most riders I have a bad farkle addiction.

I love the Sertao, I dont like the stock side stand, and I dont like how labor intensive an oil change is, but its really a great bike, even stock. I would have no issues taking a stock Sertao tossing some luggage on and riding around the world. All the mods I mention are pretty subjective, you really need to find out what works for you. I like camping as much as possible and usually spend more on high end light camping gear than expensive large luggage to carry more. I'm a huge proponent of traveling as light as possible.
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:00 PM   #1359
WET&MUDDY
"I think we can make it"

Oddometer: 49
2012 vs 2013

After spending hours reviewing this entire forum I have yet to hear anyone mention a comparison between a 12 vs 13 Sertao. Can anyone here tell me any differences between the two?
Old 01-28-2013, 05:45 AM   #1360
Bronson1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
2012/2013

From reviewing all the info I could find before deciding which to buy. I beleave there were no changes between the two years. This is other than some options being changed in packages and standard equipment.
Bronson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:12 AM   #1361
fiep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,921
after selling my beloved Dakar I now am back with a (used) Sertao
still don't like the looks and the new dash, the cheap solution for the heated grips,
but could not find a not-so-high-mile and not-so-personalized Dakar
so the Sertao was the logical solution
came with a 2" lowering link , Vario Cases and engine guards
now it has am old Dakar's center stand, stock dog bones (lowering links are in the flee market, jusy in case someone short legged is looking for some), bar risers, my old custom tall seat, fastways, 2 layers of pizza board under the stand, foldable shifter and aluminum chain guard
the wind shield is gone, can't stand the buffeting in my face

now I am looking for an adjustable front brake lever that is also affordable
any ideas?

the p.o. did not lean much, the tires have 'interstate flats' and follow every edge, leading or not, any suggestions for mostly paved twisties and forestry service roads, cheap, high mileage and great grip?
yes I know, but still hoping ...

I have only one real issue so far, if crossing over small harsh bumps like potholes, protruding or recessed manhole covers, railroad tracks the forks produce a sharp 'knack', sounds scary, as if the whole bike was to fall apart - anyone else experiened this, too?
found a solution other than YZ-forks? thanks
fiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:45 AM   #1362
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durden View Post
When I rode my KLR to Mexico I had thousands of dollars worth of mods, for my first trip with the Sertao it was pretty much stock and was an amazing bike. A few things I had and/or would recommend are:

Dakar High Seat - this was the best mod I bought for the bike, for me the high seat is soooo much more comfortable than the stock seat, it also gives you a lot more leg room and eliminates the need for highway pegs. For me this completed this as the perfect bike for me. If you are shorter it may make a bike a bit high, but I think its perfect (I'm 5'11)

Center Stand - Although its hard to get a loaded bike up on the stand, it makes it easy to do maintenance.

Radiator Guard - If you are riding gravel, i recommend putting on a rad guard, or at the least, toss some metal screen mesh over the front of the rad.

Ortleib Dry Bags - people can debate hard vs. soft panniers, but if you want an awesome light weight option for luggage, the ortleib dry bags are amazing. I have gone through days of heavy rain and never had a drop of water get in these bags. I had to order the Happy Trails SL Side Racks so the soft bags would stay off the exhaust. The racks and bags are not a cheap combination, but they work great, and are easy to take on and off.

Wolfman Tankbag - Quality and weather proof. Anything with the Wolfman label is a quality product and worth every penny. I have had nothing but satisfaction using their products.

Adventure Tech Tail Light - LED bright, programmable flashing tail light, really keeps cars back at a safe distance and lets them know if you hit the breaks.

Rotopax Fuel Tank, mounts neatly to the stock rack.

Touratech Swag - I like touratech parts, they are expensive, but quality items. I bought the headlight guard, sidestand extension and a rear licenseplate reinforcement bracket. I could of lived without these items, but like most riders I have a bad farkle addiction.

I love the Sertao, I dont like the stock side stand, and I dont like how labor intensive an oil change is, but its really a great bike, even stock. I would have no issues taking a stock Sertao tossing some luggage on and riding around the world. All the mods I mention are pretty subjective, you really need to find out what works for you. I like camping as much as possible and usually spend more on high end light camping gear than expensive large luggage to carry more. I'm a huge proponent of traveling as light as possible.

Thank you so much.
I agree on the soft bags, traveling light and camping. I'm getting the rotopax kit with fuel and a water bottle. Also the expiditon dry duffle. I'll get the TT sidestand extender and the rad guards. Definitely getting the high seat. I'm 6'.
I find the oil change not too bad. I have an oil pump that I stick down into the tank and drain it. I also have a hole drilled in my skid plate to access the drain plug.
This summer I plan on hitting Nova Scotia and heading up and all over the place in Canada. Maybe you can lend me some advice?
Thanks again.
I also read Adventure Motorcycling Handbook and he pretty much says that a small 65o single is really all anyone needs. I'm so happy with the bike.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #1363
Tephrageologist
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hockey Pucks

Quote:
I think I read somewhere that guy's were bolting hockey pucks to their sidestands. What do you think?
I read this too where folks were bolting hockey pucks to their Dakar's. I have actually purchased one, and I will be installing after I receive my Touratech foot pad for my Sertao. I am 5'9", so the height of the bike is just at the top of my height comfort zone. Anything I can do to not have this bike lean sooooo much will be awesome. I will keep y'all posted!
Tephrageologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #1364
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,788
wondering if anyone has put a regular front fender on their bike yet

just any random front fender from a dirt bike. something from a TT-R250 , ktm, WR, DRZ ?

i dont like the way the stock one is all goober looking and bounces around

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #1365
scottomcgotto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Can any Australian's recommend somewhere to get the high Dakar seat from (preferably somewhere in Sydney, but happy to ship internationally if necessary). I'm a short ass but I've just bought the kouba links from fiep so hopefully the combination of the lower suspension but higher seat will make my bike a little more manageable.
scottomcgotto is offline   Reply With Quote