Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #1381
gus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 816
[QUOTE=

Ice hockey pucks are not easy to find in Africa![/QUOTE]

They are scarcer than snow and ice here in central South Carolina, I had to mail order mine from somewhere up north.
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:56 AM   #1382
fiep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,892
lemme ask again:
adjustable front brake lever?
please
fiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:39 AM   #1383
joughton
jdog

Oddometer: 8
Lighting

[QUOTE=GSJ;20627993]Thanks for the reply, my dealer also agrees that having two PIAA LED's is better than one HID and one Fog. I'll check out the Denali's as well. Also looking at the Clearwater Kristas but they'd have to be mounted on my crash bars for the Sertao, and I'm just not sure I want something fragile and expensive mounted there. I'd rather have them hidden away somewhere.

I have just installed the model 60 led units from advmonster. I also bought their waterproof dimmer relay that let's you select the brightness of low beam/riding lights. When you flick the lights onto high beam the auxillary LEDs automatically come onto full power. I also put a second relay onto the circuit, triggered by the little front parking light so the unit is unpowered when the ignition is off. If you don't want to do this, the dimmer switch has an off button which gets overrided when you flick on high beam.

Even with shipping from the US this was the cheapest, brightest, most versatile option and more compact than its rivals. The denalis don't put out enough light per unit (you would need 4 in a cluster) and while the dually d2s are awesome they are a bit big for my taste. The Clearwater krista looked equally good as the advmonster units but too expensive for something that is going to get damaged/destroyed occaisionally.

The model 60s are extremely bright for their size. I can't remember the lumens exactly but it is well north of 3000 per light and on full blast, a single unit is alot brighter and more evenly distributed than my upgraded osram nightbreaker headlight on high beam. The power draw is about 35 watts per unit. Mounting was a bit problematic but ended up getting the TT fairing protection bar and mounting laterally off that. The one issue with this is vulnerability to being scraped/crushed if the bike lies down. But the units seem strong and were only $100 or so dollars each. Wiring is relatively easy, but I don't think the BMW design team put much thought into making the sertao quick and easy to strip down. I discovered the bike likes to eat those annoying torx screws. I have lost a few now in little nooks and crannies and would have to tip the bike upside down and shake vigarously to get them out. So I have been replacing with stainless hex bolts as they disappear.

For raising the stand I ended up using the TT foot plate and getting 25 or 30 mm long stainless bolts and running them through the plate with stainless end caps on the ends of each bolt to protect the thread. This gives an extra 1" of lift on solid ground, but sinks in a bit on soft ground. The touratech foot plate is garbage though and I don't recommend it. The top plate was way off shape to fit the welding and placement of the sertao foot plate (I expect every bike is a little different) and it took an afternoon, a pair of pliers, cable cutters and 3 drill bits to cut off the superfluous metal. The result was not very attractive but it fits now. A grinder or Dremel would have been better.

The other farkles I now have are the wolfman pannier racks and bags and the sw-motech centre stand. Both I highly recommend.
joughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #1384
scottomcgotto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by joughton View Post

I have just installed the model 60 led units from advmonster.
Love to see pics mate, I've been looking at these lights for a little while now but mounting has seemed daunting enough for a rank amateur like me to avoid getting them.

Cheers,
scottomcgotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #1385
mootsuno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Here's the ADVmonster mounted on a Dakar if that helps.

]
Old 02-05-2013, 06:27 AM   #1386
Bronson1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Question Best tank bag

Has anyone been using a particular tank bag on their Sertao that they would recommend. I know there are lots of good ones out there that will fit but I was wanting someone with a happy experience to recommend one. I'm using a wolfman enduro one now but would like to go to something a little larger and with a better map pocket.
Bronson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #1387
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,770
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronson1 View Post
Has anyone been using a particular tank bag on their Sertao that they would recommend. I know there are lots of good ones out there that will fit but I was wanting someone with a happy experience to recommend one. I'm using a wolfman enduro one now but would like to go to something a little larger and with a better map pocket.

I've been using Giant Loops Diablo tank bag. its awesome. big enough. easy to remove. stable. water proof. looks cool. what else could you ask for?

there is a link to their site in my signature space

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #1388
VitSports6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
I've been using a Roadpak that was given to me by another inmate, it has a great map pocket, it can also be used as a backpack.

The front straps are adjustable, I had to make the rear mount, but it is bolted under the seat, it has a magnetic and Velcro base.
Good luck.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #1389
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus View Post
They are scarcer than snow and ice here in central South Carolina, I had to mail order mine from somewhere up north.
I wondered about that. PM me if you need a puck and I'll mail a couple out to you. I have a 4Gallon pale of em.
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #1390
Valimagdon
Scooter Boy

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
I really enjoy my Wolfman Expedition Lite. You're already familiar with Wolfman, so that may be a plus for you. It is significantly larger than the Enduro. For me, it is not too big to use everyday, but it is also not too small to also use on long camping trips.

Long camping trips:
--HC

Valimagdon screwed with this post 02-07-2013 at 07:53 PM
Valimagdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:09 AM   #1391
homme de fer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
I tried both the Wolfman and the Giant Loop bags on my bike and, while I've had big tank bags on my previous bikes, I just don't think it's necessary if you have a top case. So, I chose the smaller Giant Loop which is perfect to hold the little things. I find the smaller bags end up less cluttered and allow better airflow through my jacket in warmer weather.
homme de fer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:11 AM   #1392
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Does anyone know if the Dakar Ohlins shock fits the Sertao?
And how about progressive fork springs from Touratech. I ordered some that were listed for the Dakar but they were a little too short. Do I just add a spacer? What about running 10wt fork oil?
kdennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #1393
grizzlyj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Apologies if this has been covered before, but

Under the seat, on the inside edge of the top left frame rail, snugly hiding under the two fuel pipes (flow and return?) just as the fuel tank ends at the front is a connector plug. One lead is two stripes of orange and two of yellow, one is a greyish blue and red. A couple of inches is stored under a cable tie through the frame. Plug of the type that you would push the male in, then slide a sprung metal clip down to lock.

What does that do then? Seems to be sitting there doing nothing, waiting for some accessory or other? Any ideas?
grizzlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:52 AM   #1394
VitSports6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlyj View Post
Apologies if this has been covered before, but

Under the seat, on the inside edge of the top left frame rail, snugly hiding under the two fuel pipes (flow and return?) just as the fuel tank ends at the front is a connector plug. One lead is two stripes of orange and two of yellow, one is a greyish blue and red. A couple of inches is stored under a cable tie through the frame. Plug of the type that you would push the male in, then slide a sprung metal clip down to lock.

What does that do then? Seems to be sitting there doing nothing, waiting for some accessory or other? Any ideas?
Interesting... I will need to take a look.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:18 AM   #1395
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,770
does the retarded placement of the regulator rectifier and the exhaust header bother anyone other than myself ?

also, what are you guys doing about that fake dual exhaust ?
are you cutting off the dummy can and plugging the crossover hole?

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote