User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
DOD OP
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,233
Water from the sky, not just an urban myth

After much planning, idle talk and less than serious consideration a plan was formed and a date was set. We would ride little bikes to and around Colorado for a week or so. The we part fluctuated some as Big-E and NMDave had to bail and Bigbugberg and bigKurt decided to join.

I was raised in Phoenix where we get 8 inches of rainfall in a wet year and I have always believed that any more water than you need to fill your canteen is dangerous. You only need 2" water to drown, right? There are portions of the year where rain seems to be a myth. On an early Saturday morning under a threatening sky, we set off to learn that water can indeed fall from the sky.

For me, big rides always seem to start and end here at Zen Moto. Dillon is prepping his bike and I'm taking care of the final details like how to get all of my camping gear strapped to a dirt bike. Thanks Dillon!

Bigbugberg (Pete) and I trailer up to MonteK's in Pinetop so that we can begin and end in a cool place.

bigKurt on the left and MonteK on the right.

Bigbugberg. Obviously challenged in some way that is not readily visible.

For us "little bikes" means thumpers. Kurt and Monte on KLR650's, Pete on a KTM 690 and I'm on the XR650R.

Loaded and ready to ride.

And it's off into eastern AZ we go! I love a big dirt road through the junipers.

Monte is the navigator on the left with Pete in the middle and Kurt on the right.

At our first gas stop we see a septic pumper truck with an interesting paint job. Follow the movement.

We turn north into NM and head up into the Malpais.

The dark ground is a lava flow. I have never seen a rougher surface.

Somewhere just south of Thoreau we stop for a map check. The clouds start getting darker and heavier. I'm not sure what Pete is up to.

After a delightful Blimpie's sandwich, we continue north with full tanks onto the Navajo Reservation. We intend to end our day in Chaco Canyon. Monte checks the maps. It would have been too easy to turn at the big sign that said "Chaco Canyon NP". Instead we wander around a bit in on empty dirt roads in a beautiful place. Monte always seems to find the less beaten track with the most beautiful views.

How is this for a nice piece of tarmac?

Then it is back into the dirt. The Navajo Reservation is easily one of the most beautiful places in the western U.S., maybe the world. If you're in the area, fill your fuel tank and your canteen and see a little of it. My photographs do not do it justice.

Eventually we find the Chaco Canyon NP and setup camp. It looked like bad weather, but the storms turned and missed us.

End of a perfect day 1. I'll return later to finish this.

-dod
Old 08-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,789

Quote:
The Navajo Reservation is easily one of the most beautiful places in the western U.S., maybe the world
Now u know why I like to ride on the res. , Awsome ride DOD.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Number 2 poster

Somehow after laughing so hard at the "Stool Bus" it is fitting that this is the #2 reply.
By the way, nice report.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:57 AM   #4
BIG-E
AKA; Mongo-E

Oddometer: 1,969
Awesome Charlie! I sure wished that I could have joined you guys! My bike did make the first picture though, it's the 690 on Dillons lift.

I need the rest of the report Mister, where's the Bacon?

BTW, did Big Kurt have any rubber on that killer this time?

"If my Technique Improves, so will my riding"!
BIG-E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #5
DOD OP
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,233
Further into CO

#2 post

bigKurt had brand new tires! We were all shocked.

So onto Day 2 which starts on a beautiful morning in Chaco Canyon. Bad place for you Big_E, 50 miles to breakfast. Naturally since there is a KTM along, a fuel transfer must take place. Some day I'm going to visit the KTM factory and I'm going to meet the guy responsible for fuel tanks and slap him upside the head.

Monte is afraid to ask what Pete uses this for.

Then it becomes obvious. Brilliant.

Fuel cap under the luggage. More epic stupid on KTM's part.

And repeat.

Of course we find a fuel station about 3 miles after this exercise.

It's a pretty morning and we have many miles of beautiful country to ride.

Breakfast in Bloomfield. This place was great. Even Mongo would have been happy.

The sky starts looking black to the north and we head for Durango on the slab. We zoom through Durango (between stop lights and traffic jams) and continue north towards Silverton. North of Durango it starts to rain. Since it's raining and it is early, the obvious thing to do is add a couple of passes to our route so it's a left at the Purgatory Ski Resort and up to Bollum Pass.

The weather gets dark and with water comes mud.

Frogg Toggs are the best!

Bollum Pass

Monte says hello.

The rain really starts on the other side and the way back is over Ophir. Visibility on Ophir was less than 20'. It was like riding in a gray tunnel with a fogged visor.

At the top it did not improve.

We ride down the other side out of the clouds into simple rain then into Silverton where we skip the camping idea and head for a hotel.

From there it's beer, rum, hamburgers and whiskey and the day comes to a graceful end.

more later,
dod

DOD screwed with this post 08-07-2013 at 11:30 AM
DOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:06 AM   #6
-BD-
-BD-

Oddometer: 10
I'm sitting here, weeping quietly at my desk at work..............cause' I missed the chance to make this ride...........WHEN IS THE NEXT ONE ?!?!?!?!
Old 08-07-2013, 08:13 AM   #7
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,575
and, right above the muffler...
I been to NM a few times and I missed the Chain of craters! Thats on my list for the next trip.
Great RR!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOD View Post
Fuel cap under the luggage. More epic stupid on KTM's part.

more later,
dod
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
Montek
Eternal Noob

Oddometer: 958
it was a blast

Mmmmmm niiiiiiiiiice! good start charlie. Nice photo's. And for you desert rats, you saw more rain in 100 miles than you see in 3 years. It was really hard to face reality monday and pretend I was back at work-slightly unmotivated-but alas, I considered that work is a means to pay for moto's and trips so it was tolerable to pretend I actually was back at work.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #9
Montek
Eternal Noob

Rum=yum

Silverton! RUMA DUM DUM YUM. Those that know, know. Those that don't, need to go and find out!

Gary, jump on the train next summer. should be a blast!!!!
Old 08-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #10
-BD-
-BD-

Oddometer: 10
Laugh

Send me the dates and I'll put it on the calendar for 2014!
Old 08-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
Montek
Eternal Noob

Hey BD

SHeesh Gary, a date this early would mean there would have to be a plan in place. You've met me, I am not cabable of a plan that far in advance even if I stay at a holiday inn!!!!.

Put it on the calender for next summer IN GENERAL(june to september) make the departure date june 1 and we'll just keep putting it off untill we reach an agreed upon time. What boss(and S.O.) wouldn't understand that??? I mean hey, atleast you let them know you were going to be gone
Old 08-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #12
BIG-E
AKA; Mongo-E

Oddometer: 1,969
50 miles to breakfast?? One of you guys would not have made it home....

Where's the rest of the pictures DOD?

Gary, it's a good thing that we stayed behind for moral support

Ok, what's the plan for DV??

"If my Technique Improves, so will my riding"!
BIG-E is online now   Reply With Quote