Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
TBickell OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
New KTM Adventure R comes with a tubeless 21" front?

Just heard that the new KTM adventure R is coming with tubeless tires including a 21" front? Hmmm.. I know many of us here have been searching for a tubeless solution for our 800's... Not trying to open a "can off worms" here and I have read countless posts about the "benefits" of a tubed tire in off road situations and how one should learn to fix a flat on the 800GS ..but.... why would KTM go in this direction and why are guys I ride "little bikes" ( 250's-500's)with opting to convert their wheels to tubeless for extreme off road riding.?? I think we know the answer..
TBickell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,698
They work sometimes...
KTM's system looks promising. We'll see.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,259
You can't beat tubes up front on the 21" wheels.
It is so easy to hit a rock and loose all the pressure by popping the bead.
Also if you dent the front rim you may not get a seal at all. Fronts dent easier on 21" wheels.
On the rear it is a toss up but most prefer tubeless for easy repair.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
johngil
Reseda, CA

...and then comes having to get excited about the 21" tubeless tire choices.
Wait, why did I want that 21" wheel anyway?
Old 12-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
TBickell OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited View Post
You can't beat tubes up front on the 21" wheels.
It is so easy to hit a rock and loose all the pressure by popping the bead.
Also if you dent the front rim you may not get a seal at all. Fronts dent easier on 21" wheels.
On the rear it is a toss up but most prefer tubeless for easy repair.
I do agree with that. I hit an embedded boulder with my front 800GS and heard a 'clank". Sure enough the front rim had a slight dent in it along the sidewall. Now we will never know if a tubeless would have held air but mine was and is still fine.
That said I think the reason KTM went tubeless because they listened to the masses and most would rather have the option of plugging the tire and going from there. Plus ..let's face it.. to properly repair a tubed tire in the field you need a lot of tools,a spare tube ( maybe) and a ton of patience.. Most of us mortals don't roll that way..
Old 12-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #6
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer: 681
You all are assuming that most will ride it off road. Reality is that the vast majority sold will spend it's lifetime on the road, for those, tubeless makes sense.

For the few that will actually use it on the rough stuff, they'll just throw a tube in it and be good to go.

KTM has been slowly becoming Ducati, they used to be VERY offroad centric, but marketing and money are driving decisions now.

http://youtu.be/KJ0B6kgA5pQ
jengel451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
johngil
Reseda, CA

I guess I'm assuming that getting a less "roadworthy" bike than the standard 1190 the owner may have some off road in mind. I smell where you're coming from, though.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

But it says "R" and that just says, I gotta have it because it's cool! R=Starbucks cool factor 100
Old 12-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #9
TBickell OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jengel451 View Post
You all are assuming that most will ride it off road. Reality is that the vast majority sold will spend it's lifetime on the road, for those, tubeless makes sense.

For the few that will actually use it on the rough stuff, they'll just throw a tube in it and be good to go.

KTM has been slowly becoming Ducati, they used to be VERY offroad centric, but marketing and money are driving decisions now.

http://youtu.be/KJ0B6kgA5pQ

completely agree....

I am just surprised that in 5 years of making the F800GS, BMW did not listen to the majority of the buyers (like me) that wanted a bike they could take in real off-road situations and would not want to change out a tubed tire in case of a flat.. I know, I know that is what the 650 and now the F700GS were for. I don't buy that and I didn't buy one one of those for the obvious reasons other than the tire set up. Many 800GS owners have spent hundreds of dollars and thousands of hours trying to "seal" their tires. Even most of the tires that people are putting on their 800's ( I.E Heidenau's) are marked "tubeless"... I think BMW just was not listening..
Old 12-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #10
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

I come from an off road background. I can tell you, there is no way in hell I'd run Tubeless where I ride, the above reasons and the fact that a tube is just way more field serviceable that anything tubeless.

I have some friends that tried the TUBElis setup, they ended up going back to tubes after bending front rims and/or just completely slicing a sidewall. Even with sliced a sidewall, you can "Boot" it and still run the spare tube to get you home.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #11
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,589
I hav been using a 21 tubeless since spring....... works awesome ..... woddy build wih tkc80. Will never look back..... ehhhhh 18 inch tubeless rear as well.

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #12
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
There's a YouTube video of a couple of riders doing a field repair on a tubeless cast front wheel. It's about at the 4 minute mark...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KBClGxw6Mg

So...hit a rock, dent your rim, break the bead, get a flat...no worries...just get a big ole rock and pound your rim back near round and hope it holds air. Worked for them that time, but it could have gone south and required a tow.
GPHusky250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #13
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBickell View Post
completely agree....

I am just surprised that in 5 years of making the F800GS, BMW did not listen to the majority of the buyers (like me) that wanted a bike they could take in real off-road situations and would not want to change out a tubed tire in case of a flat.. I know, I know that is what the 650 and now the F700GS were for. I don't buy that and I didn't buy one one of those for the obvious reasons other than the tire set up. Many 800GS owners have spent hundreds of dollars and thousands of hours trying to "seal" their tires. Even most of the tires that people are putting on their 800's ( I.E Heidenau's) are marked "tubeless"... I think BMW just was not listening..
... Because that would mean that they would have to change their rims aswell and make them stronger (excel?)... given them a greater loss if not changing the price and no "suited man" who only rides these things to work would pay extra $$ just for some rims.
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote