Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
Don T OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 447
Question F800GS and CTEK XS 800 battery charger?

My girlfriend has recently purchased a '10 F800GS.
As it's now winter time the bike will be stored in the garage for the next 3-4 month.
For the last 4 years I've used a CTEK XS 800 to tend the batteries on our other bikes (all japs) during winter - and it would be nice, if I could use the same charger for the BMW.

The charger will be connected directly to the battery with eyelet terminals permanently wired to the bike.

I would like to get some input from people who have actually used the CTEK XS 800 on a F800GS, to make sure that I don't do anything that might damage the bike's electronics.
Don T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
The Island
Im lost.

Oddometer: 219
I have the same bike, and the same brand tender but the "multi US 3300". I have been using this tender when the bike isn't in use which is every night. I haven't had any issues and I have mine plugged into the lead that connects only and directly to the battery.

I can't see there ever being a problem either as it's going directly do the battery just like any other charger does.

If the bike is being sat for this long, it could be a good idea to take the battery out of the bike.

The only thing I can ever see being a problem (if you keep the battery in the bike) is if you connect the leads under the leads of that of the motorcycle where it should be the other way around to prevent arching which could in turn prevent your bike from starting or charging correctly.
The Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:58 AM   #3
Baitfish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
09 F8GS and XS800 charger.
Same hard wired setup. No complaints at all.
My Dad also has an identical combination and no issues with his either.
Baitfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
ultane
sqeezin the bag

Oddometer: 1,128
I think it depends on the battery that is in the bike. Apparently, different battery types require different types of winter care if the bike is not going to be used for extended amounts of time. The owners manual may be helpful if the bike has the OEM battery. Some tenders will ruin some types of battery if left on for extended periods of time, some don't. It all depends on the type of battery, and the tender. Some advocate removing an AGM battery to avoid parasitic drain, charging it, and just letting it sit idle until you are ready to use it again when the weather warms up. A sealed battery may need to be on a 'smart' tender.

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,..
Is he still wrong?
ultane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:14 AM   #5
Don T OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 447
Thanks for the feedback.

Is seems that charging the GS with the Ctek as described won't cause any electrical problems.

Since I started this thread I found an older thread about the same issue.
The conclusion in that thread was the same as here.
Don T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
bmwroadsterca
RadioFlyer

Oddometer: 125
Like many I have wired both our F650GSs directly to the battery with a separate receptacle into which I plug a charger. The one thing I would add is that I read somewhere on a dealer site that if one does this one should avoid a charger that can go into a battery reconditioning mode whereby voltage pulses of over 14.4 volts are applied. The charger I have has two modes one of which limits pulses and spikes to 14.4V. It is a charger compatible with the stock BMW receptacle (i.e. it does the handshake like the BMW charger) and I use it in that mode even though it is wired direct to the battery. I like the simplicity of the direct connection but don't want to introduce any potential problems. I suspect that BMW recommends that if a non-BMW charger is used the battery be removed from the bike because it would rather give very conservative advice rather that rely on owners hooking up the correct charger or a charger in the correct mode so as to avoid potential damage. I have no way of verifying any of this but it sounds like prudent practice.

mike
bmwroadsterca is offline   Reply With Quote