User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
purplesage OP
Salvia Dorrii

Oddometer: 19
Great Basin National Park

Photos no longer supported, sorry. Thread deletion requested.

purplesage screwed with this post 05-31-2013 at 11:07 AM
purplesage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #2
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,352
Wish I had been there w/ you.

You did good.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
Pitster
miniac

Oddometer: 347
I love the west desert, good stuff!!

www.nomadrider.com Adventure luggage and gear
Pitster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
rschopp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Good luck on your surgery and hope you are on the trails soon. Another great write up. The doctor recommends that you also do a write up on the Ely, NV area
rschopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
Gunner45
Out on the trail

Oddometer: 166
Great RR as allways Sage!

Nothing better than a few days off, a KLR and western Utah!

Good luck, we all hope you get feeling better.

Gunner45
Old 12-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Thanks. Interesting. Love that country. Headed there next year. Do the Pony Express thing too. Probably use your stuff for planning. I've been there but not NEARLY enough. Love that SPACE.
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:44 PM   #7
Pitster
miniac

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesage View Post
Wolfgang55, Pitster, rschopp, Gunner45, roarin calhoun, thanks very much.

I just canít get enough of the West Desert and Great Basin areaís combination of incredible riding, diverse scenery, geology, history, lack of traffic and remoteness factor. Itís a harsh environment, but there is a certain beauty in that harshness. It has played such a large role in preventing growth and allowing us to see a part of the land mostly unchanged except for by natural forces.

This coming season I am planning on finally getting a GPS. I have been planning/loosely routing a sort of loop passing through part of the Great Basin. Roughly, from SLC area clockwise and sticking to dirt as much as possible: west on Pony Express; south through House Range; west through GBNP area into Nevada; west through Schell Creek Range/Ely area/maybe White Pine Mountains; north and through the Ruby Mountains; then from Wells, NV area east to Lucin, UT and then finish with the TransCon RR and back roads south from Brigham City back to SLC area. Maybe 4-5 days?

Thanks for the well wishes, if the procedure is routine, I should be back in the game soon.
Sounds like a great route, have you figured the mileage and gas stops? Some of those western desert areas don't offer much for fuel.

www.nomadrider.com Adventure luggage and gear
Pitster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:16 PM   #8
dutchjohn
Adventure Touring

Oddometer: 288
count me in

Quote:

I just canít get enough of the West Desert and Great Basin areaís combination of incredible riding, diverse scenery, geology, history, lack of traffic and remoteness factor. Itís a harsh environment, but there is a certain beauty in that harshness. It has played such a large role in preventing growth and allowing us to see a part of the land mostly unchanged except for by natural forces.

This coming season I am planning on finally getting a GPS. I have been planning/loosely routing a sort of loop passing through part of the Great Basin. Roughly, from SLC area clockwise and sticking to dirt as much as possible: west on Pony Express; south through House Range; west through GBNP area into Nevada; west through Schell Creek Range/Ely area/maybe White Pine Mountains; north and through the Ruby Mountains; then from Wells, NV area east to Lucin, UT and then finish with the TransCon RR and back roads south from Brigham City back to SLC area. Maybe 4-5 days?

Thanks for the well wishes, if the procedure is routine, I should be back in the game soon.
I hope all go's well with your visit to the doctor! but I think in wells we should head further north to jarbidge and up to murphy hot springs and then over to luci LOL what kinda gps you going for? take care, heal fast! dutchjohn
dutchjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:17 PM   #9
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

I just can’t get enough of the West Desert and Great Basin area’s combination of incredible riding, diverse scenery, geology, history, lack of traffic and remoteness factor. It’s a harsh environment, but there is a certain beauty in that harshness. It has played such a large role in preventing growth and allowing us to see a part of the land mostly unchanged except for by natural forces.

You're right. That's one of the dwindling areas that hasn't been over run with "growth" . Still much as it's always been. Finding places like that is why I dual sport ride. As remnant nature gets evermore 'remnant", it just makes riding what's left that more valuable & appreciated. That ride you are planning sounds GREAT. When is that Wheeler Peak area open in spring--backroads & stuff? Think I'll head down there early as possible. Thanks. Am sitting up here in snow,not enough to ski. Your report's making me drool.love it.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #10
quota
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Great stuff. I've been everywhere that you posted a photo of, except for the road to Lexington Arch. Great Basin NP is my favorite park. Probably because of the lack of people. Great spring skiing/snowboarding there as well.

Terry at the SilverJack is an excellent host. Every May, I go to the Italian motorcycle get together that he hosts (plenty of other bikes there as well). Very unique place. Amazing selection of beverages for a place in a town of probably under 50 people.

Get better soon!
Old 12-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #11
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,948
Beautiful. I was *this close* in September but ran out of time to look around. Now I have an excuse to go back.

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:15 AM   #12
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,852
Tat

NIce ride-----I didn't think anybody mentioned it in this thread---but the TAT (Trans America Trail) goes right thru this area. I remember we rode up to Wheeler Peak just for the heck of it when we rode it.

Thanks !!

BigDog
Old 12-13-2011, 06:13 AM   #13
lytle1gw
oldguy

Oddometer: 82
Very nice report and great pics, keep up the good work for us that can't get there.
lytle1gw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #14
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
roarin calhoun, we are definitely fortunate to live so close to these places. I haven't done any early spring trips to the area by motorcycle, but I would imagine that generally you might start accessing the back roads by May/June unless there is a heavy snow year like last winter. I think there would be some water crossings to ford that early. Here is a link to the nps site and some info on the GBNP area seasons:

http://www.nps.gov/grba/planyourvisit/hours.htm

Definitely doesn't seem like a heavy snow winter so far! It is some consolation to me that I am not missing any powder right now since I can't go riding, but I wouldn't wish this on any one else, and besides, I want some base so that when I can go out later this season I'm not needing my rock board!

Thanks a lot and your enthusiasm is contagious!
Thanks again for the info. I live a few 100 miles north of you--very little snow here also. No ride, no ski. BLAH! Any sources of info on snow conditions in the spring in Great Basin? I've had bad luck with the feds getting reliable info on snow. I'd like to ride all that as early in spring as possible. Maybe head down thru City of Rocks area(Idaho) to Promontory,Utah, then down to Baker,Nev. Maybe spend a couple weeks just exploring areas you mentioned. Thanks for the ride reports. I GOTTA do'em. Hernia? Had'em myself. Last one, I got out of the hospital and promptly went bird hunting in S Dakota. You'll be fine.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:56 PM   #15
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,319
Get well soon, Sage!

Great write-up and pics, as always. Really like your style of riding. Lots of great little state parks in Nevada south of Great Basin if you ever wanted to make a loop far to the south. Best wishes!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote