Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2012, 04:43 PM   #76
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 821
There is no perfect advice possible if you arn't a totally novice, as you have a lot of experience in bike riding already.

So you have to find it out by the hard way, asking friends or clubmembers if they will share their bike with you for practising. The 125cc are good but needs active throttle, the 250cc are good too needs less attention to throttle, the 280 - 300 again need again attention not to use too much throttle and can be ridden lazy too. Certainly the 250cc is enough for nearly any beginner, the 125cc can rasp on your personal image, as it's too the schoolboy machine. The surplus of the 125cc of less weight I believe is not important for a beginner, some 125cc are very good as the Scorpa that's fittet with much flyweight, some are more nasty as the Beta which has less flywheelweight and is therefore more peaky.

But much more important is that it will suit you ergonomical, the power question is one point the way you feel comfortable on the bike or not much more important in my view. As you search for a used machine too I would therefor suggest you try to get the best used serviced and maintainced bike possible and don't look so much at the cc displacement. If you have found a bike ask an experienced rider that doesn't have branded glasses on about his opinion and in any case do a test ride.
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #77
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,282
One thing I have noticed reading this thread is the guys making the argument for the little bike all live at almost sea level. Correct me if I`m wrong, but almost all are at a lower elevation. We start off at 6000 ft and all our events are usually higher than that. A 125 at 8000 ft above sea level is starting to feel like a moped with suspension and good brakes. Just trying to bridge the gap here why most U.S. riders tend to ride the larger machines.
lineaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:20 AM   #78
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
In actual fact extremely good throttle control is far more important on larger capacity bikes than smaller. This is the main reason less able riders who are overbiked with larger machines than they really need, do ridiculous modifications like head spacers and slow action throttles!
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #79
wb22rules
Bourbon Tester

Oddometer: 194
Let me join the fray here.

Background
Grew up in the country and rode bikes any time I was not doing the chores on a large farm. I had a CT 70 and an XR 75 when young, I used to be intrigued with trials and would make little routes up hills and through creeks on the farm and try to ride them without putting my feet down. I sold a show calf one year and earned enough to buy a new bike, I was 12 or 13 I think, I wanted to get a new TL125 because they seemed to be the hot setup in all the motorcycle magazines I read at the time. I went to the local Honda dealer, not only did he not have any TL bikes, he seemed to insinuate I was a bit "slow" for even wanting one and did not appear to eager to order one for me. Over to the Yamaha shop we went because my second choice was an IT175. Well right next to the IT 175 was a YZ125D. It was a little taller, and a ton more sexy looking and was the exact same price. I jumped on the YZ125D and told my step father this is one. I got that thing home and literally crapped myself at how the front tire would head toward the moon whenever I hit the powerband in any gear. Within a short period of time me and that bike were like one, I rode it all over our 860 acres, wore out back tires and rear fenders with abandon and spent my entire youth of motorcycling into MX. Yes it was big step when I took it, but it was very quickly I realized that I must respect the bike, once I learned to respect it much was learned very fast and a ton of fun was had.

Nowground
I just bought a used 2001 Gas Gas 321 TXT a few months ago after having not owned any dirt bikes since I was 18 (30 years ago) and moved off the farm. It runs fine and is I presume is like most trials bikes, a torquey motor that makes power at low RPMs, the exact opposite of a Mxer. I am sure there are modern bikes that have a powerband that hit much harder than this model, but I am damn sure they are nothing like a brand new YZ125D. I see no reason any one familar with motorcycles should shy away from a bike that fits them in order to learn a few new tricks regarding trials. I haven't been on a dirt bike in 3 decades but have had no problem in controlling this bike on the trails and on the steep slopes in my backyard, on small obstacles in my yard and through the creek behind my 5 acres. I look forward to progressing to skills that would enable me to clear more difficult obstacles, but I am not interested in winning trophies or impressing others, I just enjoy getting some exercise in a way a ton more fun than a gym.

My Point
The key is respect. If you acquire a bike for something that you are not experienced in, you better have some respect for that is which is unfamilar to you. Trying to protect yourself from lack of respect by getting a bike way to small for you is not the correct idea in my mind. A lack of respect for any bike you are not familar with is a sure way to get another lesson in why Mr. Gravity is undefeated.
wb22rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:50 AM   #80
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Why would making a bike easier to ride for a novice be a ridiculous mod? They are inexpensive mods for the beginner or novice rider and improve the very item that you say is important. IMO - any inexpensive mod that makes a bike better suit the riders needs are very worthwhile and far from ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
In actual fact extremely good throttle control is far more important on larger capacity bikes than smaller. This is the main reason less able riders who are overbiked with larger machines than they really need, do ridiculous modifications like head spacers and slow action throttles!
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #81
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
I post about elevation and you talk about throttle control. In my chair as I type I`m more tha 2000Ft higher than Ben Nevis. A 350 here is almost as strong as a 250 in england. Elevation totally kills a trials bikes power. The first time I met your buddy Adrian we were riding around 8000 ft. He was trying to drop his needle like crazy. He could not believe the power loss. I helped him loose the clip. I was sure glad when I found it in that grass. Elevation, jetting, engine volume, and throttle control are not related subjects. You would probably hate that my son rides my 300 Raga well. He is just 14 and just starting to shine, but I`ll be damned if I make him ride a 125.
You talk about crazy mods on the crap tlr and then laugh at one on a modern bike that works like a dream over the most modified tlr ever made is just insane!!!
Old 04-08-2012, 02:32 AM   #82
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

I was not aware that the whole of the US was 6000ft above sea level, and that this is the reason most riders favour bigger bikes, which are very difficult for beginners to ride at lower altitudes..............you learn something new every day!
Old 04-08-2012, 05:50 AM   #83
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

If you would of read my initial post concerning elevation . You would see that I pointed out every one that liked the 125 was at an elevation that the bike actually made some power. And as a matter of fact a lot of the larger clubs in the western states ride at higher elevations. On the other hand it is hard for us to ride at a lower elevation for just a weekend event since our bikes power has changed so much. Our timing and throttle control is then all wrong. It was always fun , all of a sudden a bike you could only wheelie in fourth gear was now capable of 5th gear wheelies!
Old 04-08-2012, 07:09 AM   #84
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

The main thing for a newcomer to trials is to master basic riding techniques. Like it or not its far easier to get the basics on a smaller bike, which means far faster progress than struggling with the type of bike which can wheelie in 4 or 5th gear, which may well be hard for a newbie to cope with!
Old 04-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #85
funmachines
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
No one size fits all

With the differences between new trials riders one size is unlikely to fit all, especially when one size = 125. People sure seem to have lots of passion about what new people that they don't know should ride... I picked up a late 90's 270 gasgas and it seems fine to me although I'm 6'2"/215 and ride dirt bikes already (and mountain bikes forever).

On a different note playing around on the trials bike in my 1 acre backyard is tons of fun and doesn't annoy the neighbors or my wife. Wish I would have tried it sooner...
funmachines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:00 PM   #86
singletrackmind707
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Used bike resources?

I am in the exact same place the creator of this thread was we he started it last year. I've been doing reading, checking out the local club, etc. Surfing craigslist for anything "TRIALS" and found a few deals withing my price range. But was wondering if anybody on here has any other links they could provide for finding a bike in the 2k - 3k price range.
singletrackmind707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #87
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Try http://www.nmtrials.org or http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/mcy/2963941078.html. Been a lot on the rmta site, been a little slow on the draw or just looking for the right one!!
Old 04-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #88
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by singletrackmind707 View Post
I am in the exact same place the creator of this thread was we he started it last year. I've been doing reading, checking out the local club, etc. Surfing craigslist for anything "TRIALS" and found a few deals withing my price range. But was wondering if anybody on here has any other links they could provide for finding a bike in the 2k - 3k price range.

http://www.searchtempest.com/ Is a good tool for searching a large area on craisgslist. Around my area used trials bikes don't show up much and the great deals are gone in hours. I missed 4 bikes before I found my bike with a wanted add I ran on craigslist for a few months. All 3 calls I got on the wanted add were guys that just had the bike sitting in the garage and did not have plans to sell till they saw the add.

Be sure to search by brand name too. Beta, Sherco ect... I missed a KILLER deal on a "Sherco dirt bike". The guy did not even know it was a trials bike. Found it in a storage unit. $600.

I watch E-bay too but have yet to see a great deal and buying unseen and shipping costs keep me from considering a long distance buy.
04 FZ1

DrKayak screwed with this post 04-26-2012 at 03:32 PM
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:31 AM   #89
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,274
Here's my old idea, after you find the neat utils to check craigslist.. I use craizedlist.org, it lets you set and save your searches, and pick which cities you want to searc. NOTE, like the site will tell you, no way around it, you have to use FIREFOX, NOT Internet Exploder, to use that site..

To find bikes forsale, one dang good resource was the "United States Trials Club Directory" that used to be on the NATC (now called mototrials) site. They removed the list and it was put on another site. I havent been to that list myself since 2010.

I believe I put the link in this thread, back when, but due to time I dont have time to hunt for the link right now, for you all, someone please look through? http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486887

Most clubs have forsale pages, not all. Here is the link to clublist! http://www.trialsclubs.us/

Everyone should help out on this, if you have website and know it is not in here, or has changed, do what the page says, email someone.

Happy Hunting.

Sting32 screwed with this post 04-27-2012 at 09:57 AM
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #90
bradleythomas
Bark Buster

Oddometer: 7
Another trials N00B

Hi all. I've never owned a trails bike but i would like to buy 1. I live in northern Colorado and I have a hard time finding used trials bikes. My budget is 1500 to 2500. I saw this 1995 Beta 250 and was wondering if it was a good deal or not. I know its hard to tell from the pics but it seems OK minus the broken spokes on the rear wheel. Guy is asking 1500 bucks. What do you think? Thanks.

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/mcy/2982978392.html
bradleythomas is offline   Reply With Quote