Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
Dagwood_55 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,311
SW Texas Info Sought (W. of Hill country)

I was thinking of planning a ride. I've riden the Hill Country and enjoyed it much.

But years ago, I turkey hunted south of a little town called Rock Springs, in the middle
of nowhere. We drove out of town and stayed in a cabin about 25 miles from town.
There were gravel roads going everwhere and I thought it would be really neat to explore
some of them. They went thru canyons and up around small mountains or hills. A lot of
sand, but mostly decent roads.

The only problem I see is: There were gates everwhere and often. The kind that have counter-
weights and you push them open with your truck if you have a big bumper. Think a guy could push these
gates open with his bike?? Are most of these roads county roads and publicly accessable?? My Garmin 24K
Topo shows them to be county roads.

What do ya think????

Thanks for info
Old 12-11-2011, 05:26 PM   #2
Grits&Gravy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
There are a lot of county/public roads with private property on both sides and gates or cattle guards in Texas. I've read that there is supposed to be paint on the gates, I think purple, marking the road to be county, but not everyone marks things right?. On www.twtex.com you might find some more info on this subject. The only other thing I know to do is contact that particular county and inquire.
Grits&Gravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,211
Dagwood. I've run plenty of those bumpgate roads around Rock Springs. Yes. Many of them are public roads. Here's a link to one of the 3 best sources of data. http://www.txdot.gov/travel/county_grid_search.htm

I have downloaded several sets of every one of them and I am working on a mapping project of dirt roads from the Red River to the Rio Grande.

(The other two are 1) your own eyes and the eyes of folks who have ridden the roads recently and 2) up to date official county maps of each individual county which can and do change randomly, without warning, and not usually in our favor.)

That being said, even with all that, you can still make "mistakes". Yesterday I was at a Micro-Brewery in Eola ,Texas, getting some "locals" to route us some dirt around Fort McKavett. The fella looked at my route and told me "that road don't go through". I said "How do you know? He said, "Cuz we own it." You can rest assured I'll be checking it out to be sure. It was a damn good looking stretch.
slowoldguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #4
Grits&Gravy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Yesterday I was at a Micro-Brewery in Eola ,Texas, getting some "locals" to route us some dirt around Fort McKavett. The fella looked at my route and told me "that road don't go through". I said "How do you know? He said, "Cuz we own it." You can rest assured I'll be checking it out to be sure. It was a damn good looking stretch.
The intimidation alone didn't work? Do the research and know the facts......
Old 12-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by grneggz View Post
The intimidation alone didn't work? Do the research and know the facts......
I don't get intimidated too easily. See my sig line. As a ranch owner, whose ranch is on a prescriptive road , I'm familiar with lots of the "tricks" ranchers use. ;)
Old 12-12-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
Grits&Gravy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I don't get intimidated too easily. See my sig line. As a ranch owner, whose ranch is on a prescriptive road , I'm familiar with lots of the "tricks" ranchers use. ;)
There you go.... Knowing the tricks is half the battle and knowing your facts is the other. I don't understand why people claim rights to something that isn't theirs.

I've only done a little bit of riding out that way, but was with someone else that knew where we could and couldn't go. Some of the roads we were going on would make most honest people stop and turn around because of the signs or lack of signs just to be safe. Anyhow, I plan to learn more about it myself because I intend to go out there and ride some more.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:56 PM   #7
Dagwood_55 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,311
Thanks for the info guys.

Do you think those gates are light enough to bump open with a bike?? I'd hate to think about dismounting at everyone of them.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #8
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

They vary. Substantially. In weight and design. Sometimes Bike 1 knocks it open and one or two more bikes can scoot through on either side. Sometimes Bike 1 hits it hard enough to lift the rear wheel off the ground and the damn devil thing comes back with a vengeance, catches bike 1 on the mirror and knocks Bike 1 on its ass in front of laughing nephews on Bikes 2 and 3. Not that I'd know anything about that.

Two bikes can do it pretty easily with some planning.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:09 AM   #9
Meriden
Yea whatever

Oddometer: 630
Texas trespass law is tilted in favor of the land owner. Purple paint on trees in forested areas, livestock fences, fields under cultivation and some gates cannot be passed without risk of trespassing. In open range counties you will come across bump gates and cattle guards across county roads, but it is up to you to know which are county roads and which are not. Garmin, USGS Topo and Google Maps are incredibly inaccurate, at least in the coastal bend counties. The County Grid Maps that slowoldguy posted are the most trustworthy source that is easily accessible.

I've heard of some land owners blocking public roads, but have never come across one. Likewise I've met a couple of other land owners when I was "off track a bit." Generally they are polite (if your are) and will point you back to the legal byways. Speaking as a land owner who has suffered a trespassers on my property I can say that no one wants trouble. But when I get some fool who "was told by..." and refuses to leave or is asserting his "rights" (no you can't walk/ride down a stream bed) I generally get the sheriff or game warden involved. Mostly I just leave the gates locked.It's a pain, but it keeps people from wandering in.

The Golden Rule applies.

Worship your master as you wish, but never name him Freedom.
Meriden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #10
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriden View Post
Texas trespass law is tilted in favor of the land owner. Purple paint on trees in forested areas, livestock fences, fields under cultivation and some gates cannot be passed without risk of trespassing. In open range counties you will come across bump gates and cattle guards across county roads, but it is up to you to know which are county roads and which are not. Garmin, USGS Topo and Google Maps are incredibly inaccurate, at least in the coastal bend counties. The County Grid Maps that slowoldguy posted are the most trustworthy source that is easily accessible.

I've heard of some land owners blocking public roads, but have never come across one. Likewise I've met a couple of other land owners when I was "off track a bit." Generally they are polite (if your are) and will point you back to the legal byways. Speaking as a land owner who has suffered a trespassers on my property I can say that no one wants trouble. But when I get some fool who "was told by..." and refuses to leave or is asserting his "rights" (no you can't walk/ride down a stream bed) I generally get the sheriff or game warden involved. Mostly I just leave the gates locked.It's a pain, but it keeps people from wandering in.

The Golden Rule applies.
Good, balanced approach Meriden.

The way I see it:

If it's private I don't want to be on it. If public dollars are being spent to maintain it, I don't want to be kept off it.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:30 AM   #11
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,413
I've been ridin', just west of Bandera, on MY weekends (Thursday/Friday).

If anyone wants to slide up there, this Thursday, let me know. There is a road, just southwest of the Three Sisters, that I have been wanting to get to, for some time.

The offer is open...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #12
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Running from 55 to 674 by any chance?
Old 12-13-2011, 11:02 AM   #13
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Running from 55 to 674 by any chance?

No, Sir.

I screwed-up. I posted "southwest". It's actually west of The Three Sisters (just west of Campwood and Barksdale).

I believe that it's CR201. It runs between 55 (Edwards County) and 674 (Kinney County). It's 'posed to be a nice mofo!

My problem...I'm a late-riser. So, I wind-up running out of daylight before I make it that far-out. I damn-near froze my twig-and-berries off, last Friday, in Medina County (trying to make it home).

Where is 350?

EDIT- We were typing at the same time...you just have faster fingers. ESP?...

How did you do that? Your post (that I quoted) said, "350 by chance?"...or something to that effect. Now my post doesn't make any sense...

But...yes...great guess!!!

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8

WARRIORPRINCEJJ screwed with this post 12-13-2011 at 11:08 AM
Old 12-13-2011, 12:25 PM   #14
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

lol. Sorry. I was thinking I was wrong, but I was right. ;) 350 is exceptional and you were able a while back to ride it and 310 from 55 to 674. I did it a couple of times and it was fantastic. Literally the best outside of Big Bend that I've found. Not public now past the county line according to TXDot (and my nephew who tried it). I have not verified this with the county nor with my own eyes.

Now, you can run dirt all the way from Rock Springs north if you like opening gates. lol.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 12-13-2011 at 02:21 PM
Old 12-13-2011, 12:32 PM   #15
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

So (to make sure I'm tracking correctly), the road for which I am searching is 350?...

...and is, now, not public?

If that's the case, that sucks.

If that is the case, which part (in which County) is still public? Thanks in advance...