Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #46
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
I was considering that Tom - just thought that I'd beat the bushes around here a bit first. I actually have the part numbers that I need now.

You should talk to Shail. His customer base, his knowledge of who has what and where locally, you may be able to rent the panels with the correct graphics. Heck, you could have a few sets made up, sell them to Shail, he could sell them in his shop. The computer setup/scan is the main cost of the graphics, not the actual decals.

steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #47
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,936
I Might.

I might just do that. I think that I'll wait until he has his operation fully up and running. I always noticed that they seemed to have difficulty finding things in their old shop - I can imagine that things might be in a more confused state since the move.
jackd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #48
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,363
Quote:
I might just do that. I think that I'll wait until he has his operation fully up and running. I always noticed that they seemed to have difficulty finding things in their old shop - I can imagine that things might be in a more confused state since the move.
Yep they could not find a rather large "Credit" I had there from a year before. They trusted my word that's for sure but someone got a little chewing up over that.....!

I am following this with interest, the 87GS will eventually turn into a collector's vehicle if I can find a few parts cheap, they are still available new but buying them would certainly negate the savings for at least a couple years.

What are THEY gonna say about that Corbin seat, SS brake line, Jesse bags and Staintune muffler?

Oh well....back to fixing paint chips, them look like a big No No on the ICBC website but then I can, at the very least, tell them that my paint is "original"......!
Old 01-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #49
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oh no! I've got a braided stainless steel brake line as well.... Don't worry I will keep you all posted on my progress.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #50
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Well this is very interesting. My '94 GS was the first bike built in October of 1993. There doesn't seem to be that many that were built that year. Can anyone give me a figure as to how many GS's were built for 1994 - I might be applying for Collector plate status now instead of the 2019 date that I planned.
Just got word back from BMW Canada - there were 1318 GS's built world wide in '94. Not a big build year, it would seem. I'm still striking out on the decal front.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #51
bereahorn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,059
bereahorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #52
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Just got word back from BMW Canada - there were 1318 GS's built world wide in '94. Not a big build year, it would seem. I'm still striking out on the decal front.

Geez, my guess was not far off!
Old 01-14-2012, 06:34 AM   #53
darklight79
scaffold builder

Oddometer: 416
Perforated front discs ? Mine has solids ..I was told original and they might be ...Am about to make the ebc rotor jump .. But was wondering whats stock for that year ? thanks
darklight79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:39 AM   #54
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklight79 View Post
Perforated front discs ? Mine has solids ..I was told original and they might be ...Am about to make the ebc rotor jump .. But was wondering whats stock for that year ? thanks

I've got the perforated [drilled] disc on my '91, same as the disc on that pic you sent me.

Steve
Old 01-14-2012, 06:54 AM   #55
darklight79
scaffold builder

Oddometer: 416
Right ...I have seen them both ways ..I have always wondered .The 2nd owner . the guy i bought from may have swapped stuff... So how to find the first owner .? Car fax sez first sold in Idaho then migrated to oregon ..I was told ... Then to calistoga ca then back up to humboldt ... So how to find the ppo?
darklight79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #56
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

My '94 now wears a solid disc, though it came with a perforated unit. Works fine. The bike documentation showed a recent new disc installation by a previous owner before I bought it, but the person robbed it off when he sold it. For this and other actions he took, he will be going to that hot place down below.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #57
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoSanMan View Post
I have a 95 and the grey graphics are on it. I would think that the grey graphics make the bike look newer (though not better) than the yellow only ones. The graphics and the fact that some of the last 95's actually had the circlip put n may be some of the only differences between a 94 and a 95
I sent a PM to you.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #58
KhaoSanMan
Airhead

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
I sent a PM to you.
And I just sent you back a reply. I thought that I would include part of my reply here for anyone who might find it interesting or useful:

When I first got the bike I was considering replacing these graphics (the gravel ones), but after looking at them closely I realized that they would in fact be very difficult to replicate exactly if I wanted to put them back later. From what I can see, these were made by screen-printing multiple colors (including one that looks like metallic grey) onto a vinyl sticker. It's the only way I could figure how they got so much detail and color without layering multiple kinds of vinyl. I doubt that digital printed vinyl was that good in 95. So what does that all mean? It means that if you want a perfect stock look, it will be a real hassle, screen printing is tough work and takes a lot of time. It is also really expensive for the first batch, then the cost goes dramatically down for any more you want to make since all the cost is in setting up the screens for each run.

However, if you have a sign shop that has a quality vinyl printer, then you could try to go the digital printed route. Some differences would be:
- tiny dots would be visible if you looked at the decal very closely.
- depending on the quality of the ink used, the color may fade much faster than the screen-printed original (especially in the sun)
- You may want to pay for an extra layer of clear UV vinyl to reduce the chance of fading
- There is also a sprayed on type of UV clear coat that can make the printing last longer
- The end result would be much cheaper than screen printing, but each unit would cost the same unlike with screen printing where really the first unit carries most of the cost and all the others are significantly cheaper (meaning it wouldn't really cost that much more to run 20 rather than 10).

So that's my advice, if you are OK with going digitally printed, that's the way I would go. I would not recommend layering colors of vinyl as the detail would make it too tough to align accurately, and you would easily be able to see the many layers revealing that this is a repro.

Now I'm going to ask you why you want these graphics over the more classic ones? In my opinion all of the above would lead me to the old ones since they can be done with the simplest and cheapest form of vinyl, just cutting out the shape in one color.

#3 - BMW Motorrad Mull aus der Hölle
KhaoSanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #59
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

I sent you a PM response which is more detailed, but for all to know, I am going to pursue the digital printing route. Thanks for your help on this.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #60
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

An update to this. With pics provided by KhaoSanMan and the talents of another Graphic artist down south, I am soon to receive my set of replacement decals for installation. Now the hunt is on for a local shop to recover a BumbleBee seat that I have sitting downstairs - I bought it on Ebay several years ago but haven't got around to finishing it myself.