ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2012, 06:20 AM   #121
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm950se View Post
All these adjustment issues kinda make you wonder if changing over to this type of clutch is really worth it....

I know that until Rekluse gets everything to work perfectly without any compromises, I'll be sticking with the stock clutch...

ktm950se
You do have a good point.

After installing the thicker plates I went on a all day, 2up, forest road ride yesterday. It is much improved over where it was. But there is still slipage below 3200 rpms, even right at 3200. So, by my seat o pants meter, I'm thinking I'm about 98% there. I'll call Recluse tomorrow to discuss, meybe a spring or wt change????

But I know at some point there will have to be some slipage or else the lugging-herky-jerky and stall thingy. I know my bike, in my mind (especially compared to my last 650 thumper) does not like to be lugged much. If I'm riding by myself, I can pretty well keep the rpms up where they need to be, more fun anyways. But when I'm riding with my wife on the back, I tend to be a lot more moderate and lug it aroung a bit.

Bottom line is, with the OEM clutch, it tend to not shift as much and feather the clutch a lot, even in 2nd and 3rd gears. Like when going up a tight switch back on a Nat Forest Road (auto road). So the Rekluse may be operating pretty much to my riding style than I think. Its just at this point, I keep lugging, then gassing it to see if it will slip. I need to quit and just ride it.

I think I will be happy with it and keep it, just a little concerned about the friction plates wearing out prematurly.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #122
adventure girl
Donde esta la playa?!?

Oddometer: 1,347
My clutch was doing the same thing, slip and grab,and then it quit working all together, stranding me in the middle of Utah. Many hours to get out and then back for the bike. Shouldn't be slipping at all! i had the KTM guys fix mine, thicker plates are the way to go. Runs like a rocket ship now.
'04 KTM 525
adventure girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #123
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,778
working great now

I called Rekluse and talked to them about the slipping under power. They had me install the heaver 950 clutch wedges that come in the kit. I used the same spring setup - 3 red, 3 blue. I'm 1 full turn in, 1/8 free play gain and she pulls strong in every test I could think of without a hint of slipping

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #124
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,325
Also Working Great Now.

I gave some incorrect info in my earler post. I thought Rekluse had send me 6 thicker smooth disk to help in the slipping.

Actually they send me 6 thinner disk and I was able to use 1 extra friction disk, thus taking up more room or having a thicker clutch pack.

Anyways, the thinner/extra plate got me 97 or 98% where I thought the bike should be. Today I installed the heavier wts and I feel like it is there now, hooks up pretty much like it did with OEM clutch. Of course at very low rpms it will slip, thats what it is supposed to do.

I may try a lighter spring in a daya or two. After warming up, idle being 1400, she will hook up pretty fast or hard at 1600-1700 rpms. But I'm gonna ride it a bit, I may like it this way. Just be sure its in neutral or clutched before you touch the throttle, unless you're ready to leave fast.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #125
moto-treks
Back Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood_55 View Post
Just be sure its in neutral or clutched before you touch the throttle, unless you're ready to leave fast.
You've noticed that too

Moto-Treks
Old 05-11-2012, 03:11 AM   #126
Spl990
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
In every ride adjust the free play?

I like the product of rekluse and i think the exp will be the next upgrade
But i want to ask if everytime i ride my moto must check and adjust the freeplay, because i use my Adventure as a master trasportation vehicle everyday and i think it will be not comfortable to adjust everyday.
I use the bike to go from my house to my job and back then i was going for Gym -market places etc.

Spl990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:19 AM   #127
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spl990 View Post
I like the product of rekluse and i think the exp will be the next upgrade
But i want to ask if everytime i ride my moto must check and adjust the freeplay, because i use my Adventure as a master trasportation vehicle everyday and i think it will be not comfortable to adjust everyday.
I use the bike to go from my house to my job and back then i was going for Gym -market places etc.

On my 950 I've found that once set, it has stayed consistent over many miles. I have over 7,000 miles on mine now. It's easy to check and I rarely need to adjust. Once you install and start to use the system it will make much more sense. I would not be turned off by that and it will make a great addition to your everyday bike in traffic and off-road use.
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:28 AM   #128
Spl990
Adventurer

More Questions

Thanks for the reply Cj .
questions that generate to me because my master cylinder of the clutch is fall i have replace it with a radical from SuperDuke and i don't know if the exp work with the radical because this pump ,have a larger piston 16mm and the stock have a 10mm piston, and have more power to resist so the freeplay i don't know how it work.
And if i upgrade with the exp i will replace the stock clutch discs or not if the not have wear .
The exp use reduce the life of the friction discs ?
Old 05-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #129
cjracer
AWD please!!

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Cj .
questions that generate to me because my master cylinder of the clutch is fall i have replace it with a radical from SuperDuke and i don't know if the exp work with the radical because this pump ,have a larger piston 16mm and the stock have a 10mm piston, and have more power to resist so the freeplay i don't know how it work.
And if i upgrade with the exp i will replace the stock clutch discs or not if the not have wear .
The exp use reduce the life of the friction discs ?
As for your "Custom" Master setup, you'd be on your own for that. I have no input on that. Sorry.

My question- Not sure why an upgraded clutch master is a huge benefit for the cost and time, I'd stick with stock ADV. No more power is needed.
Keep it simple.

CLUTCH FIBER LIFE-
I get this asked alot- For some reason people think that as soon as you install a Rekluse you will be burning up Fibers every Ride or something.

When they are properly setup I personally find that clutch life is the same or BETTER than an OEM setup.

Here is why in my opinion.
- Most riders that use the hand clutch slip the heck out of it when it gets technical, sometimes more than needed, creating a lot of heat and wear.

-The Rekluse operates the same EVERY time you apply throttle.

Say you head out for a 100 mile Dual Sport ride.
Beginning of the ride, you're feeling great, operating the clutch like a champ. 50 miles in you're getting tired and a little lazy. You start to slip it more and less consistent. That's where the Rekluse really shines for me at least. Consistency through out the day, no matter how tough the terrain gets.

-Last set of fibers I put in was at 50,000 miles. They were still going strong and I replaced as a preventive measure with more OEM fibers before a long trip.

I have over 60,000 miles on Rekluse products in my 950. Z-start pro and now the EXP. 115,000 miles on the bike. I have replaced the clutch fiber pack 2x so far.

I've replaced OEM clutch packs on bikes with less than 20,000 miles on them from riders that have slipped and smoked them to death.

If your clutch is question now, the Rekluse won't fix it. Start with a NEW clutch rebuild kit and go from there.

Sometimes a slipping Rekluse will be roasted fibers from earlier abuse and not the Rekluse itself.

Good luck and safe travels,
cj
Old 05-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #130
moto-treks
Back Home

Latest setup

Just swapped the 3 red springs for 3 blue in the EXP on my 2010 990 as the clutch was grabbing a little too much at idle. So now my setup is the heaver 950 wedges and all blue springs. This kit is great as it comes with enough tuning options to dial the clutch in just the way you want

Moto-Treks
Old 05-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #131
bikemechanic53
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
My EXP 2 cents worth

I just got the latest version about 4 weeks ago. I've used it only a few days, but it works the same as other Rekluse equiped bikes I've ridden. Slight jerkiness at idle. Takes off and locks up immediately on throttle. Shifting is the same with or without clutch use. I followed Rekluse's setup for weights and springs for my 950. No problem.

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/...3/DSCN2946.jpg

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/...3/DSCN2947.jpg
bikemechanic53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:10 PM   #132
bikemechanic53
Adventurer

2 cent's worth, again

Oops. Did the picts wrong.

I just got the latest version about 4 weeks ago. I've used it only a few days, but it works the same as other Rekluse equiped bikes I've ridden. Slight jerkiness at idle. Takes off and locks up immediately on throttle. Shifting is the same with or without clutch use. I followed Rekluse's setup for weights and springs for my 950. No problem.

http://[img]http://i1173.photobucket....jpg[/img]
Old 05-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #133
bikemechanic53
Adventurer

no 2 cents here

Hmm. that didn't work either. I read the "How to post an image". But it's only for Smugmug. No info on any other system.

I'll keep trying HTML to see if anything else works.

Photobucket
Old 05-13-2012, 11:50 PM   #134
Spl990
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer View Post
As for your "Custom" Master setup, you'd be on your own for that. I have no input on that. Sorry.

My question- Not sure why an upgraded clutch master is a huge benefit for the cost and time, I'd stick with stock ADV. No more power is needed.
Keep it simple.
I have replace the master cylinder because have a wear in the first 2.5mm of the begining going oval of the cylinder and can't be upgrade with a new piston kit the same problem again leaking.
So the new master for replacement here in Greece cost 295 and my fried in Ktm Headquarters in Greece told me that and the ne maybe have a problem. because many riders with adventure or smt after 2008 have this problem so i try to find a replacement to fix it ,i search the ebay find the master cylinder secondhand from SDuke only for 100+25 (shipping cost) and i said i will give a try to this set up, and i am excited fited ok works very well and a lot smoother with my oberon slave cylinder and the upgrade cost to me less that buy the stock cylinder so is a good upgrade and more economic

Soory if i tired you with my post
Old 05-14-2012, 06:23 AM   #135
cjracer
AWD please!!

Quote:
Soory if i tired you with my post

Not at all. Good info.