Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #16
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,695
Tag a holic eh.....heard of the GLOBAL game???
Old 12-24-2011, 06:12 AM   #17
OSJ OP
Formally DunkinDuck

Oddometer: 1,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
Tag a holic eh.....heard of the GLOBAL game???
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=2549

you bet!
Old 12-24-2011, 07:03 AM   #18
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,232
why

Why am I looking at photos of mailboxes? Oh yeah - because there are motorcycles in front of them. I think I'd look at pictures of motorcycles in front of just about anything. Lots of nice photo ops in your area. I also envy guys who's wives will ride with them - I'd love that. Make sure you tell her that!

It challenges me to do a "heres is what you see on my favorite local ride". I'd go right now, but there is ice/snow on the streets today in the western suburbs of Detroit.

Keep the pictures coming and ride safe!.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:17 AM   #19
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer: 501

Did you get 'em all in?

Great idea, more people should make this commitment.

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear
unlawfulsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:34 AM   #20
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,518
Since you deliver...I would like to purchase some fudge.

Great thread. Thanks.
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:28 PM   #21
OSJ OP
Formally DunkinDuck

Day 20 Tuesday 12/20/11

I decide I'm gonna go get some tags today, and pick up a present for the wife..I hooked up the portable XM radio for the day...then headed out to snag some tags...

along the way I stopped to check out these wheels..

For lunch I worked my way back to Shirley MA and the Airport diner. I had a very tasty chicken salad sammie with a very good bowl of corn chowder.

A quick stop at Best Buy for a nook for the wife than a ride home to get my youngest one off the bus. I load all the kids in the truck and head back to the mall for our annual photo...

yes, the lumberjack is my oldest (sophomore in college) and sitting on Santa's lap is my youngest (10 year old ) and sadly I think its the last year we will have someone believing in Santa in our house :(

Day 21 Wednesday 12/20/11

today I had planned on staying local. I also wanted to get a few of my rides winterized. Of course I would be snagging a few tags as well. One such tag was finding something with the letter O and I was riding the yellow duck to start off the day.

I needed to pick up some fuel stabilizer for the two bikes I wanted to put away today, so I stopped at our local Ducati Dealership.

I also picked up a few Christmas presents for Mrs OSJ while I was there..

no not the white VFR, although I know she would love that bike in our collection.

I rode back to my office and took out the little scrambler so I can get fill up the tank and run the stabil in it. I went for a different O

The rain started falling while I was eating my hot dog so I quickly rode back to the shop and put the little scrambler away for its winter nap. Fuel is treated, battery is plugged in and the tires are off the ground. Rest easy little guy!

OSJ screwed with this post 12-31-2011 at 07:17 PM
OSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:56 PM   #22
OSJ OP
Formally DunkinDuck

Day 22 Thursday 12/22/11

I started a tag game a few years back with a mascot, his name is Dunkin Duck and he travels all over New England. See is first travel story here. I am in the process of putting together a website with all his travels

He has been in Maine for the past few months.

So I really couldn't let the little guy stay in Maine all winter, plus I wanted to check this place out for lunch. So I put up a quick post on the message board the night before about meeting me for lunch, and low and behold I got a few bikes behind me!

Ken on his Hog, and two generations of O'Neils on their beautiful red VFR's We all met up on 495 in the morning and took the slab all the way into Maine. Dunkin Duck was sitting at the entrance to Fort McCleary. It took a few minutes of looking around to find his hiding spot. Here he is posing for us once he was found!

With him safely tucked into my tank bag we made our way back south to Portsmouth. Just a short ride had us reach Gilly's lunch, where our other ridding buddy Richie was waiting for us. He was working today so he was stuck in the car.

We all piled into Gillys and placed our orders. Even DD was impressed.

After we stuffed our faces we said goodbye to Richie and hopped on the bikes and continued south.

We took some back roads to NH 33 than NH151 and that brought us down near a Ducati dealership I wanted to visit.

Great Bay Ducati and Triumph allways has a nice selection of machines to look at. Mike (AkA the Warrior) wanted me to pose with DD next to his all time favorite bike.

He said he is fine with the colour, actually I think its pretty cool too, I would never ride one, but remember that joke about large women and scooters???

OK, enough with that kind of talk! We fueled up right down the street then grabbed NH111 heading west. My original route had us taking a few other numbered roads like...121...111a..kinda zig zagging our way home via some nice twisty roads. But a quick look at the gps told me I wouldn't be home before 5:30 on that route. Mrs OSJ was going out with her girlfriend and I needed to be home a little earlier than that. So we stayed on 111 all the way to Hudson...oh was that painful! Way too many traffic lights and heavy traffic drove me nuts. Plus I didn't want to pressure Mike into doing something stupid so I didn't do any passing.

Once we crossed the Mighty Merrimac it got a little better. Some un numbered roads thru Dunstable, Groton and Shirley got us to our next stop right around 3:30.

Mrs OSJ sent me a txt and said I had time to have some coffee but try to be home by 5pm

Ken bought us all coffee's ( thanks Ken ) and we all got a chance to sign the little duck.

Jack and Mike headed home to Leominster and Ken followed me thru Lancaster to 117, where I cut thru some back roads up thru Sterling and home to West Boylston. So we had a very nice 200 mile ride on the first day of winter, got to enjoy lunch with some good friends and rescued my little Ducky pal from being outside during the holidays.

I plan on taking him out for some more rides before I find a new location for him..
Old 12-31-2011, 07:15 PM   #23
OSJ OP
Formally DunkinDuck

Day 23 Friday 12/23/11

Too much stuff to do today to get ready for Christmas...One thing was to pick up some bagels for breakfast over the weekend...

than stop and get a holiday haircut from my favorite barber...

OSJ screwed with this post 12-31-2011 at 07:21 PM
OSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:31 PM   #24
OSJ OP
Formally DunkinDuck

day 24 Saturday 12/24/11

I figured these next two days would be very difficult to get some miles in. Christmas eve was always spent with Mrs OSJ's family. Usually at night, but this year the M-I-L changed things up with hosting a lunch time celebration.

we also had Dunkin Duck home for the holiday...he was helping Mrs OSJ make some yummies when she said, why don't you head out now and get your ride in.

So we suited up, warmed up the KLR and headed out.

Dunkin wanted to feel the wind in his feathers so I made a little spot for him up front.

we went for a short ride to find a train for a tag...

than quickly rode home to celebrate Christmas with the family.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:35 PM   #25
OSJ OP
Formally DunkinDuck

day 25 Sunday 12/25/11

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

After the kids were done opening all the presents I fired up the KLR and headed out...first day this month I didn't feel like riding..just wanted to enjoy the day with the family..

Old 12-31-2011, 07:50 PM   #26
OSJ OP
Formally DunkinDuck

day 26 Monday 12/26/11

The day after! I ate way too much the last few days, and we celebrated Christmas with my family last night, so it was a long night. Lots of fun, but very tiring...we all slept in late Monday. Well almost all of us, see Mrs OSJ always goes shopping on this day with her mom. Great deals on wrapping paper she always says..

what ever, I took advantage of a nice quiet morning and slept until 10am!

Mrs OSJ didn't get home until late afternoon, so I didn't get out for a ride until much later than planned. It was right around freezing when I headed out...

Its been awhile since I did a nice night ride. However I didn't stop for many photo's because of this. I did have Dunkin Duck along for the ride...

It was a great ride, spent a few hrs out just exploring the surrounding towns, I could have stayed out for hours but I didn't want to make Mrs OSJ nervous. I went home and figured out my miles so far for this month. 1,150 so far.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:02 PM   #27
OSJ OP
Formally DunkinDuck

day 27 Tuesday 12/27/11

today was the day Dunkin was going to find a new spot to hang out and wait for another rider to pick him up.

I stopped at the shop to get some things before our ride.

We drove around together looking for some kind of landmark to leave him at....

Than after a few hrs of riding it was time for lunch.

Dunkin came in with me and I introduced him to the ladies, and they all said he was welcome to hang out with them.

So I walked around and found a nice secure spot for DD to hide. Come find him soon, and oh, I almost forgot there is a surprise in the bag so the first one that comes gets a special treat.

Here is how you find him.

Walk around the fence that is near the picnic tables.

In the outside corner you will notice a broken section of fence laying next to the fence. Where the two fences come together you will see a little gap. Dunkin is tucked down on the ground in between that gap. I put a small piece of wood over him.

After I left Dunkin (he was picked up the next day so don't go looking for him) I drove up a road I knew was a dead end but never been up before.

the top had towers everywhere..

there were allot of dirt roads that went off into the woods...I didn't have time to explore today but I will be back!

Dunkin Duck was back in play and I was getting closer to my goal of riding every day in December...1285 miles so far.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:12 PM   #28
OSJ OP
Formally DunkinDuck

Day 28 Wednesday 12/28/11

Cold day today, not much planned, just wanted to get the ride in. Decided to take the duck out for its last ride of the year? The current tag was a historic fire house...Lancaster has one built in 88...1888 that is!

Then I needed to find a motorcycle off limits sign..the state of MA has plenty of these all around our area. When I was a kid we rode our dirt bikes and ATVs all over this dirt roads.

Some of them are old railroad beds converted to walking trails

1,325 miles so far!
Old 01-01-2012, 06:09 AM   #29
OSJ OP
Formally DunkinDuck

Day 29 Thursday 12/29/11

Short ride today to snag the Wild Card tag on the ADV message board. Planned on spending the day with the family at the mall than off to the movies to see "We bought a Zoo" which btw was a great flick. The tag was a church bell, and I replaced it with the barn photo..only 2 pics today

center of Princeton MA...

That is the Otis bell...the other church has a Paul Revere bell

Now go find a barn with some type of LARGE advertisement..either the name of the farm (like this)

or some thing else...must be large and plainly visible from the road.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:08 AM   #30
OSJ OP
Formally DunkinDuck

day 30 Friday 12/30/11

Mystery Friday! Today was going to be another family day. We plan these mystery days all the time with the kids. They have no idea where we are going or what we will do, they just need to be ready when we tell them to be. Sometimes we plan over night trips but mostly they are day trips.

I get out for a quick ride down the road to snag a photo of the Old Stone Church at the shore of the Wachusett Reservoir

When the Wachusett Reservoir was completed, this impressive Old Stone Church remained standing as the last remnant of the town which was once in the valley, but was now flooded by the new reservoir.

Once back at home we loaded up the car with the kids and headed west. Mrs OSJ had seen this episode of Best thing I ever ate...messy and wanted to try that bread!
https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150832249210627 Sorry could only find the video on Face book, I'm guess you will need to be signed in to view it...While your there you can also friend request me (search New England Sport Touring) so that was our first stop of the day.

After we got our bread we parked in downtown Stockbridge, West Stockbridge, Lee and Lenox and spent the beautiful day walking around the towns. We took the back roads home and stopped at several antique shops along the way. It was a great day for sure.