ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 05:03 AM   #1126
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL
 
ScottDill's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario
Oddometer: 4,084
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:49 AM   #1127
Jurgen
Trolljegeren
 
Jurgen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Sandoval, Nuevo Mexico
Oddometer: 39,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDill View Post
__________________
They're nihilists, Donny, nothing to be afraid of.


Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #1128
Jurgen
Trolljegeren
 
Jurgen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Sandoval, Nuevo Mexico
Oddometer: 39,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDill View Post
For Jurgen.

Gamecocks Fan Surprised To Hear That Team Represents a College





Satire that would be appropriate for many sidewalk fans.





Wait, you mean they are associated with a College?
__________________
They're nihilists, Donny, nothing to be afraid of.


Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #1129
h2o_snow
Water, snow & dirt too.
 
h2o_snow's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: North of Boise-vegas, ID
Oddometer: 718
[QUOTE=viajero;19869481]
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2o_snow View Post

SDSU might also give them a game in a couple of weeks, and Wyoming always plays hard at home. The Broncos of today bear no resemblance to those of the past four years, offensively.
Good point but things are starting to jell.

QB Southwick was very efficient this weekend and is improving - a good sign. Really can't argue with 6-1 as a first year starter although many are still whining.

Defense has continued to impress. Based upon the Nevada loss, BSU will have an easier run although SDSU was solid. Strange late night game on the blue in two weeks. At Laramie next week - strange things can happen but I don't see a loss.

Update - with their coach suspended I'd be surprised if it is a close game but - I'm biased. On another note - Idaho just fired Coach Akey. Doubt if anyone outside the State cares but someones mid level coordinator will be moving to Moscow.

Doesn't look good for the top 16 however. Strength of schedule sucks. (Read more whining).
__________________
06 TE 610; 98 DR 650 - Sold: a past pleasure
02 XT225 - Wifey's ride
So I'm packing my bags for the Misty Mountains
Over the hills where the spirits fly,
I really don't know.

h2o_snow screwed with this post 10-23-2012 at 08:59 AM
h2o_snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #1130
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL
 
ScottDill's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario
Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubwheat View Post
There is no excuse or that kind of tiraid in college sports. That being said, I can understand his frustration, if in fact, the other teams QB faked an injury to set up the next play. It does happen, and in fact happened today in the Steelers game, No. 88 faked a leg cramp, next play he was back out on the field and was the first guy down on punt coverage. His cramps must not work like mine do.

I've see college games where a team is moving the ball like heck with the hurry up and gosh, some player falls down with a cramp!

I think something like making a player sit out the rest of the series, and not just one play, would cure a lot of cramps before they happen.
Looks like he was suspended and fined....seems appropriate response. He'll probably end up getting fired for being a lousy coach anyway.

Wyoming Coach Suspended

How do they know that they were fake injuries? the rule says that if play has to stop for an injury, that player has to sit out for at least the next play. That seems reasonable to me. Ever had your bell rung* or wind knocked out. Even a cramp can be stretched out in a minute or 2 sometimes. No doubt that gamesmanship happen...but so do minor injuries. No reason to keep a key player out longer than necessary.


* Of course the as we learn more about the risk of concussions we will likely drastically change the game over the next few decades.
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #1131
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL
 
ScottDill's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario
Oddometer: 4,084
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #1132
Jurgen
Trolljegeren
 
Jurgen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Sandoval, Nuevo Mexico
Oddometer: 39,535
Mack Brown is now crying about having too much plenty. He sounds like a 15 year old Paris Hilton. "But Daddy I wanted the cute little Mercedes and you bought me the Bentley instead."


Mack Brown complains that the Longhorn Network is negatively affecting Texas … really, he did

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo
It's tough to know where to start with this whopper: Mack Brown, according to Orangebloods.com, said the Longhorn Network is negatively affecting the Longhorns.
Yes, the same Longhorn Network that was to provide such a recruiting advantage that the use of high-school highlights on the network had to be banned after conference rivals revolted. The same LHN that gives Texas $15 million per year to pump into its athletic budget. The same network that is such an edge for Texas, it almost tore the Big 12 apart.
This network, Mack Brown insists, is suddenly bad for Texas
.

Here's Chip Brown's full story, and it provides a strange glimpse into the mind of a coach that seems to be spending a lot of time worried about things that have nothing to do with his team winning or losing football games.
Brown complains about the time he takes doing interviews with the network. I'm sure he has a lot of obligations to the network, including taping three shows a week. ESPN is playing Texas $300 million (that number is still insane, no matter how many times you read it) over 20 years. That's going to require some extra time from Brown to chat about David Ash's throwing mechanics (I, like almost every other American, doesn't get the LHN, but I'm going to guess there's not much investigative journalism being done on those shows). That comes with the territory. It's worth noting Brown makes more than $5 million per season, even though he is 18-14 over the last three seasons. Texas went 5-7 the year before the Longhorn Network was launched, which is also worth noting.
But here's where Brown's concerns start to border on bizarre, from the Orangebloods.com story:
Brown even said if a player needs to have an ankle taped, the UT medical staff will tape both ankles so anyone watching LHN won't know if a player is injured.
Oh. That seems perfectly logical, and a great allocation of time. I'm sure the training staff loves getting that order. Nothing at all crazy about that.
Yeah Mack, we feel your pain, your school is only getting an extra $15 million per year for the effort.

Oh, and you remember how this Network was a cornerstone causing Texas A&M do leave for the SEC.

I am thinking it it time for Mack to retire. With all the talent available from Texas he is running a second rate team and finding whiney fucking excuses to blame it on. Wow. Just wow.

__________________
They're nihilists, Donny, nothing to be afraid of.


Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports

Jurgen screwed with this post 10-23-2012 at 10:24 AM Reason: adding K's
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #1133
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL
 
ScottDill's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario
Oddometer: 4,084
Mack is flailing. He does need to retire...like he said he would in 2010. On the web forums like "Shaggybevo" the Longhorn fans are crying in their beers about how they lost Muschamp because of Mac's turnaround. He was a very popular assistant and of course this years performance by Florida has really rubbed salt in their wounds.

Mack's whining aside, the LHN seems like an unmitigated PR disaster so far. It's not even available in Austin

Anyway, aTm has been a good addition to the SEC. I am enjoying watching them play....so the LHN has that going for it.
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #1134
Jurgen
Trolljegeren
 
Jurgen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Sandoval, Nuevo Mexico
Oddometer: 39,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDill View Post
Mack is flailing. He does need to retire...like he said he would in 2010. On the web forums like "Shaggybevo" the Longhorn fans are crying in their beers about how they lost Muschamp because of Mac's turnaround. He was a very popular assistant and of course this years performance by Florida has really rubbed salt in their wounds.

Mack's whining aside, the LHN seems like an unmitigated PR disaster so far. It's not even available in Austin

Anyway, aTm has been a good addition to the SEC. I am enjoying watching them play....so the LHN has that going for it.
TAMU is my favorite SWC-->Big12 South--->SEC team. But in College Football, when it comes to rivalries I am an avid traditionalist. Where I break from tradition is I want an EIGHT team National Championship playoff. I know Texas A&M left, but that was after Texas killed the marriage with their "Bring me a beer bitch" attitude.

I used to slightly cheer for Texas. Now, I am very very happy to see them suffer.
__________________
They're nihilists, Donny, nothing to be afraid of.


Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #1135
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL
 
ScottDill's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario
Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
TAMU is my favorite SWC-->Big12 South--->SEC team. But in College Football, when it comes to rivalries I am an avid traditionalist. Where I break from tradition is I want an EIGHT team National Championship playoff. I know Texas A&M left, but that was after Texas killed the marriage with their "Bring me a beer bitch" attitude.

I used to slightly cheer for Texas. Now, I am very very happy to see them suffer.
I agree. I used to live in DFW and most of my local friends were Texas grads. I love Austin and and Texas felt a lot like UF .....better actually, but in the same vein. But then they ruined it. UTex is a poison to college football. They almost killed the Big12, they ran off Nebraska and aTm...ruining two of the best rivalries in college Football.

I have to believe that the UTex / aTm game will be renewed in a few years...hopefully Oklahoma and Nebraska can do the same. There is nothing wrong with a OoC rivalry, Texas/Oklahoma was a great one before the Big12 was formed.

I disagree on the playoffs. There is too much emphasis on trying to determine who is the real "national champion" Screw that. I prefer arguing about it. Just give me good bowl games at the end of the year were we get to match top teams from different regions against each other. The BCS system has essentially done that and the "4 team playoff" will hopefully do it a little better. Eight (or more??) teams allows too many undeserving teams to get a shot and devalues the regular season. I realize that most people don't share this opinion and most every other sport has an extended playoff system.....but that's one of the reasons I like college football......every game counts and there is no absolute.
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #1136
Jurgen
Trolljegeren
 
Jurgen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Sandoval, Nuevo Mexico
Oddometer: 39,535
I know you all sit on the edge of your seats waiting for the Lobo Report. Well I didn't see the game as I was en route to El Paso. (more on that later) I've only heard sporadic reports. But, yes, the Lobos gave Air Force a tough game. UNM was hampered by losing starting QB B.R. Holbrook to concussion. UNM's other QB, option phenom Freshman Cole Gautsche not suited up due to a concussion. Yep, the third string was in.

So what do you do when you have your third string QB playing? Run the ball.

Everyone knows you are going to run the ball. The defense can key on your running back. It limits his effectiveness. Yeah, so the aptly named Kasey Carrier only managed 338 yards. UNM lost to AFA 28-23 and fought through the whole game. I've reported on Carrier previously here. He seems like a good & smart kid. Hits wholes fast and spends more time running forward rather than sideways. The O line has been great. I expect to see Carrier in the NFL.

Narrow losses to conference rivals Boise State and Air Force with four wins. Pretty damn good for "The Worst Team in College Football."

177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen
Not on the board: UNM to cover the 10.5/11 at AirForce
__________________
They're nihilists, Donny, nothing to be afraid of.


Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #1137
Jurgen
Trolljegeren
 
Jurgen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Sandoval, Nuevo Mexico
Oddometer: 39,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDill View Post
I agree. I used to live in DFW and most of my local friends were Texas grads. I love Austin and and Texas felt a lot like UF .....better actually, but in the same vein. But then they ruined it. UTex is a poison to college football. They almost killed the Big12, they ran off Nebraska and aTm...ruining two of the best rivalries in college Football.

I have to believe that the UTex / aTm game will be renewed in a few years...hopefully Oklahoma and Nebraska can do the same. There is nothing wrong with a OoC rivalry, Texas/Oklahoma was a great one before the Big12 was formed.

I disagree on the playoffs. There is too much emphasis on trying to determine who is the real "national champion" Screw that. I prefer arguing about it. Just give me good bowl games at the end of the year were we get to match top teams from different regions against each other. The BCS system has essentially done that and the "4 team playoff" will hopefully do it a little better. Eight (or more??) teams allows too many undeserving teams to get a shot and devalues the regular season. I realize that most people don't share this opinion and most every other sport has an extended playoff system.....but that's one of the reasons I like college football......every game counts and there is no absolute.

I like the idea of Eight-- no more. I used to think 16 or 20, but have changed. With Eight you get the six or so that have a real shot, plus can slot in a couple of more. It is still few enough that the focus remains on the regular season. One loss might drop a team out, and then the fans get to bitch about how they are better than...

Take the five Champions of the big conferences. SEC, BigTen, Big12, Pac10, ACC the best of the other conferences (polls) if they are ranked above 12 and two "at large" teams.
__________________
They're nihilists, Donny, nothing to be afraid of.


Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:43 AM   #1138
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)
 
shrineclown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Bruins Nation
Oddometer: 9,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
I like the idea of Eight-- no more. I used to think 16 or 20, but have changed. With Eight you get the six or so that have a real shot, plus can slot in a couple of more. It is still few enough that the focus remains on the regular season. One loss might drop a team out, and then the fans get to bitch about how they are better than...

Take the five Champions of the big conferences. SEC, BigTen, Big12, Pac10, ACC the best of the other conferences (polls) if they are ranked above 12 and two "at large" teams.
Yeah, but the only difference will be, we will argue about the eight selected and so and so should have been included. If so and so were included, they surely would have won the NC.

I'm with Sdill, run what ya brung. Let the chips fall where they may. Gripe about it until next year and start over.
__________________
Life is Good and Getting Better Every Day!
shrineclown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #1139
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL
 
ScottDill's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario
Oddometer: 4,084
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #1140
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)
 
shrineclown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Bruins Nation
Oddometer: 9,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDill View Post

One hopes he switched out the rectal tube first.
__________________
Life is Good and Getting Better Every Day!
shrineclown is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014