Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 09:01 AM   #1291
NativeSon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergermeister View Post
Saban's already worried about Oregon apparently:

"I think that the way people are going no-huddle right now, that at some point in time, we should look at how fast we allow the game to go in terms of player safety," Saban said on today's SEC teleconference. "The team gets in the same formation group, you can't substitute defensive players, you go on a 14-, 16-, 18-play drive and they're snapping the ball as fast as you can go and you look out there and all your players are walking around and can't even get lined up. That's when guys have a much greater chance of getting hurt when they're not ready to play."

"I just think there's got to be some sense of fairness in terms of asking is this what we want football to be?"
I wonder if its a conditioning issue?
NativeSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:02 AM   #1292
NativeSon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Commander View Post
Who knows, but it is all the couple of ex-Vols and heavyweight donors who either work for me or hang out with the ones who work for me can talk about.
Why leave FSU though?
Old 10-31-2012, 09:07 AM   #1293
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 6,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon View Post
Why leave FSU though?
I have no idea, and would think the entire scheme was insane, except the people I hear talking about it have some credibility.

Hey, anyone waiting for the Auburn shoes to start falling. Won't be long. Oregon might have their first (and only) BCS title.
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:42 AM   #1294
h2o_snow
Water, snow & dirt too.

Oddometer: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDill View Post
Ironic, Boise State is now receiving the same benefit of the doubt that they complained the BCS teams received in years past. BSU is still good, but they're not that good this nyear.....losing to Sparty is a nono
Absolutely agree - my point is that it will be interesting if Boise State wins out decisively. They need to be in the top 16.

They could - or not produce - both San Diego State and Nevada have good teams although SDS lost their QB two games ago. Based upon the defense and offensive improvement I don't see any more losses - they continue to improve and Peterson will keep them hungry. His philosophy is to win the conference and the rest is gravy.
Over the hills where the spirits fly,
I really don't know.
h2o_snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:50 AM   #1295
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 6,130
Quote:
Why leave FSU though?
Ok. I now have an answer for this. Apparently JBF was promised assorted incentives which have never materialized so he may be weighing his options and one of those options could be a move to the hills of East Tennessee.
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:20 AM   #1296
bergermeister
housin'

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
I wonder if its a conditioning issue?
defenses run a new package almost every play. with no huddle, they can't substitute as freely. wrong package = oregon points
bergermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:46 AM   #1297
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2o_snow View Post
Absolutely agree - my point is that it will be interesting if Boise State wins out decisively. They need to be in the top 16.

They could - or not produce - both San Diego State and Nevada have good teams although SDS lost their QB two games ago. Based upon the defense and offensive improvement I don't see any more losses - they continue to improve and Peterson will keep them hungry. His philosophy is to win the conference and the rest is gravy.

Nothing is for certain with BSU, especially given the recent spate of injuries combined with some suspended key players.
viajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:42 AM   #1298
liquidsmile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwells7 View Post
Should be close then...
liquidsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:44 AM   #1299
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,249
Quote:
defenses run a new package almost every play. with no huddle, they can't substitute as freely. wrong package = oregon points
Oregon still has to prove that they can do this against an elite D. Their only recent example was last year against LSU...and we know how that turned out.

In 2008, it was all about Oklahoma and their record breaking offense. It was no huddle and they ran more plays per game than anyone else. I believe they set the record for average points per game as well. Then they finally meet an elite defense in the MNC game - Florida this time - and they manage all of 14 points. Same story every time.

If things go as expected it looks like we'll be able to see the ducks lay a big against Alabama come January......of course that's just my opinion, and that's why we play the games.
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:06 PM   #1300
NativeSon OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'll be the only one to say it, but If it wasnt for the streak, i wouldn't mind Oregon beating Alabama. It'd be a spectacle to watch.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:10 PM   #1301
bergermeister
housin'

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Oregon still has to prove that they can do this against an elite D. Their only recent example was last year against LSU...and we know how that turned out.

In 2008, it was all about Oklahoma and their record breaking offense. It was no huddle and they ran more plays per game than anyone else. I believe they set the record for average points per game as well. Then they finally meet an elite defense in the MNC game - Florida this time - and they manage all of 14 points. Same story every time.

If things go as expected it looks like we'll be able to see the ducks lay a big against Alabama come January......of course that's just my opinion, and that's why we play the games.
a big "W?"

what about 2010/2011, Oregon v Auburn, 22-19, last second field goal, pretty even game, Oregon put up 450+ yards, but Auburn had Cam Newton.
bergermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:15 PM   #1302
NativeSon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
a big "W?"

what about 2010/2011, Oregon v Auburn, 22-19, last second field goal, pretty even game, Oregon put up 450+ yards, but Auburn had Cam Newton.
What's a more complete team? 2010 Auburn or 2012 Alabama?
Old 10-31-2012, 12:22 PM   #1303
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,249
Quote:
a big "W?"

to continue the metaphor, the word I mistakenly omitted was "egg"

I said "elite" defense....Not "SEC" defense. 2010 Auburn was NOT an elite defense.

Of course Oregon still lost that game. They did beat Tennessee in Derek Dooley's first game.....I guess that's your street cred against the dreaded SEC

I would love to see Oregon beat Alabama. I'm not a Bama fan. It won't happen though.They are in a completely different league....pun intended.

ScottDill screwed with this post 10-31-2012 at 01:36 PM
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:06 PM   #1304
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 10,004
Quote:
What's a more complete team? 2010 Auburn or 2012 Alabama?
For balance, it has to be Alabama. Sabin has so many guys he can use, and get the job done. It really is a remarkable team to watch. Auburn could beat you up, but if they lost a couple of their key players, they would have been in trouble. Sabin just takes someone off the bench without a hiccup.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:16 PM   #1305
NativeSon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I would love to see Oregon beat Alabama. I'm not a Bama fan. It won't happen though.They are in a completely different league....pun intended.
I just wonder how good a team has to be to beat Alabama. Can it be done by mere mortals?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: