Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
Rusty Shovel OP
Banned

Oddometer: 67
Eh? Mexico to Quebec in 2 days on a WR250R

Unbelievable you say?

Okay, Mexico Maine to Quebec City isn't quite so impressive, but 1045 miles in 2 days isn't bad.

While tearing down a dirt road south of Jackman that looked a lot like this...

...a bull moose charged out of the bushes on the right side of the road. I was riding hard on the right, because I was nervous of the logging trucks that would occasionally barrel down the dirt roads. The moose ran perpendicular to me, and I locked up front and rear brakes and began sliding sideways toward the animal. I was going about 50 mph, so I couldn't scrub speed off fast enough. Thankfully, the moose changed it's angle and began running diagonally across the road. The moose was GIGANTIC, and I was sliding into it while it was running at full tilt! One of the moose's legs hit my saddlebag and it changed direction again away from me. I got back on the gas to get my rear wheel back in line and for a couple crazy moments this gigantic animal was sprinting alongside me.

I wasn't really sure, at this point, whether the moose was running at me, or just continuing to run in panic--I think I nearly twisted my throttle off!

(This is just a stock picture of a moose; I didn't have time to snap a shot--but DAMN it was big!)

Other stuff happened during the trip; I saw pretty vistas, went to church in Quebec City, chased a bear off the road (a little black one), got rained on (a lot), ate dinner with a crazy fisherman, forded a river, and got directions from a drunk. But really, what can I write that would top side-swipping a charging bull moose?

Here's a few picks anyway:

One big gear winner for the trip is the Satechi Bluetooth iPod controller. It made the long stretches more fun

One gear failure, my MT21 front tires:

Check out that crazy wear pattern! *Some knobs are worn to the quick and others are hardly worn at all. *My 606 at the rear has less wear despite mounting it at the same time.

But the biggest hero of the trip is this:

My Airhawk pad truly saved my ass. I would never have managed so many hours in the saddle without it.
Rusty Shovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
redkerk84
that guy

Oddometer: 335
What is the make and model of the holder for your satechi blutooth remote?

Nice report!
redkerk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 749
classic

...a bull moose charged out of the bushes on the right side of the road. I was riding hard on the right, because I was nervous of the logging trucks that would occasionally barrel down the dirt roads. The moose ran perpendicular to me, and I locked up front and rear brakes and began sliding sideways toward the animal. I was going about 50 mph, so I couldn't scrub speed off fast enough. Thankfully, the moose changed it's angle and began running diagonally across the road. The moose was GIGANTIC, and I was sliding into it while it was running at full tilt! One of the moose's legs hit my saddlebag and it changed direction again away from me. I got back on the gas to get my rear wheel back in line and for a couple crazy moments this gigantic animal was sprinting alongside me.

Too bad we can't download that clip from your brain but it plays well in mine anyway.
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,166
Texas plates?
Old 09-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
pne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
crazy!! especially on the lil wrr. You're lucky the moose ran from you and not at you. While dirtbiking one day a friend and I popped into a clearing and spotted a young bull. We started revving up our engines trying to scare it off, and it turned, looked and started towards us. We got out of there FAST!
Old 09-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
Rusty Shovel OP
Banned

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by redkerk84 View Post
What is the make and model of the holder for your satechi blutooth remote?

Nice report!

It's the RAM Mounting Systems RAM-HOL-UN4U Universal Finger Grip Holder. You can find it HERE

I loved being able to start and stop music without having to stop and dig through my jacket.
Rusty Shovel is offline   Reply With Quote