User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
Mineral City an Idaho Ghost Town

Short Background Story. Last May, my wife and I made a very short visit to this place. I was drawn to Mineral because of a geocache in the area, but things didn't turn out like we planned. Mineral is located up Dennett Creek Idaho near Brownlee Reservoir along the Oregon/Idaho border. Essentially there are only two ways to get there, over the mountain or around the mountain via the reservoir. Last May our problem was there was snow up in them thar hills, and my wife is deathly afraid of water. Well, she said it would be ok to go via the reservoir road, but in the end that wasn't a good idea. About halfway along the reservoir I looked over and saw she was crying uncontrollably. Needless to say our stay was restricted to a drive through of Mineral on our way up and over them thar mountains, which wasn't easy because of the snow.

So fast forward. I've been wanting to go back all summer, but didn't have time until now. So here is my ride, without my beloved wife. My "other" riding partner Georgie would have to do, which she don't mind at all.

Here's the temp when I left the staging area in the morning. Brrr!

Because of how cold it was, I trailered the TW from home to the staging area near Brownlee Reservoir.

Along the way I saw this cool looking manure spreader I think.

Another interesting site. Land recently grazed by cattle on the right of the fence, and not for a while on the left.

Mineral is located on land owned by the Rocking M Ranch, but is part of a conservation easement area which allows sportsmans access. Which I'm glad of or I wouldn't be able to ride to it.

Almost ready to go. Georgie waiting...impatiently I might add.

Didn't take any photo's of the reservoir heading too Mineral, but have a few later. Here I'm starting up Dennett Crk rd toward Mineral.

Here's a weird looking coal type deposit along Dennett Crk. I'm guessing there must have been a smelter here as I see either part of a boiler or smoke stack.

Here is a view of the snow covered Iron Mountain. Had to up that way last May when there was more snow on it.

Finally arrived at Mineral

Video 1 of 3

Here's a few more photo's of what's left of Mineral.

Mineral or Mineral City was a mining boom town during the 1880's.

Miners came for gold and silver, but most of what was mined was copper.

The road is very well maintained, but not many come here because of it's remoteness.

Though time was also short on this trip, I did locate 1 of the 2 caches in the area. This cache is located near the large rock

to the right and above the road.

Found an old iron chiesel at the cache rock. Looks like it was hammered in long ago. It's loose now, but I only took a picture of it and left it where it was.

And here's the cache

The hillside was steep and even Georgie had to be careful

Video 2 of 3

Near Mineral, I took a side road up a draw and found a corral with this old storage building, for Ice I think.

I think this stone building was built before the trees were here or when they were young. Tree has grown up and over the stone

Also the doorway is blocked by the tree's indicating the tree's came after the structure.

Only Georgie could get through the doorway now between these two tree trunks.

One more photo of the structure.

From here I head back to the staging area. Hard to see here, but this is a marina and lodge located and operated by the ranch on the reservoir.

TW looks nice near the reservoir

And one without the TW. My girls noticed something about this photo. If you tilt your head to the left, it looks like one of the Planet of the Apes because of the reflection. Good imagination I'd say!

Anyway, this ride was way to short and I plan on coming back to explore more mines in the area and also find the other geocache. But I better do it before summer when the Rattle Snakes are out in full force.

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178

TheAdmiral screwed with this post 12-13-2011 at 05:51 PM
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
It looks like those roads run on forever. Dramatic difference between the grazed and ungrazed land. Thanks for taking the time to share that part of the country with us, happy riding!

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,365
Very nice, Thanks for letting us tag along! The gorilla picture is pretty cool too.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:55 AM   #4
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 964
Man...I love this kind of stuff. The roads look great as well...

Keep showing us them pics there dude!
Old 12-14-2011, 08:26 AM   #5
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,559
Does George ride on 'da rack on 'da back of 'da bike?
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:27 PM   #6
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificPT View Post
It looks like those roads run on forever. Dramatic difference between the grazed and ungrazed land. Thanks for taking the time to share that part of the country with us, happy riding!
Yeah,thanks. I live near there & haven't ridden some of those roads. I WILL ! THANKS! What month were you there? Temps? That grazed land vs ungrazed land picture speaks volumns. I took similar pictures while bird hunting--public lands grazed down to nubs,private land beside it lush & full. Interesting.
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #7
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Bob View Post
Does George ride on 'da rack on 'da back of 'da bike?
Yep, she does. I take her on these slow rides which is 99% of the time. When going on a ride at highway speeds, she stays home, which she don't like. Here's a short video of her riding on the back.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarin calhoun View Post
Yeah,thanks. I live near there & haven't ridden some of those roads. I WILL ! THANKS! What month were you there? Temps? That grazed land vs ungrazed land picture speaks volumns. I took similar pictures while bird hunting--public lands grazed down to nubs,private land beside it lush & full. Interesting.
This ride was way too short, so I'll be going back, probably next spring or early summer. There is so much to explore around Sturgill Peak and the surrounding area.

I went on this ride last Friday (9 Dec). Though it was sunny, it was about 14*F when I started, and about 35*F ish when I got back to the rig. Needless to say I dressed warm. Didn't even get cold. I ain't lett'in winter stop me from riding if I can help it. Muddy roads, yes, I'll not go. Otherwise, I'm going.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:57 PM   #9
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,769
Thumb Everything about this is very cool...

Geo-caching, dog on the bike, the country, a little history and the haten' of the snakes. +1 on that.
Thanks for sharing.
Ride On
Old 12-14-2011, 07:50 PM   #10
Tightline
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Wow...I was just there in October riding quads and chasing Chukar with some good friends. A good friend of mine's family owns the Rocking M. We stayed in their lodge out on the point...one of the pictures looks like you drove right by it.

Great area for exploring, lot of old mining claims, cemeteries and homesteads.

Looking forward to going back

Thanks for bringing back some memories!

Scott in AZ
Tightline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:17 PM   #11
FoolHardy
Still Inky

Oddometer: 532
Thanks for sharing this :) I dig old structures, equipment and abandoned places. I have lived here most of my life but I have only recently began to explore the out-of-the way bits of history that still linger here.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go" - T.S. Elliot
FoolHardy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:52 PM   #12
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Way to go, Admiral!

Out in the cold -- right on. Really interesting pics. Grazing fields, old structures with trees. Cool video of you and Georgie on back of the TW.

Keep posting up those winter rides. Good inspiration!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #13
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightline View Post
Wow...I was just there in October riding quads and chasing Chukar with some good friends. A good friend of mine's family owns the Rocking M. We stayed in their lodge out on the point...one of the pictures looks like you drove right by it. Great area for exploring, lot of old mining claims, cemeteries and homesteads. Looking forward to going back Thanks for bringing back some memories!

Scott in AZ
I only learned a little about the ranch after see the easement sign and discovered so much history of it. I didn't take a picture of the lodge, though I do remember seeing it, and didn't know it was the lodge at the time. I assume I rode right by the lodge entrance at the junction when I headed up towards Mineral. I only scratched the surface, and am exicited to go back and do some more exploring. Great place to ride, when it's not in the middle of summer! Hot!

Old 12-15-2011, 10:41 AM   #14
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkyfingers View Post
Thanks for sharing this :) I dig old structures, equipment and abandoned places. I have lived here most of my life but I have only recently began to explore the out-of-the way bits of history that still linger here.
I've seen alot out on my adventures, and missed even more. I gotta go back! Maybe you'll see me riding around, can't miss me with the black dog on the back. Stop me and say hi if you do! One of the places I want to do more exploring of is the Banner mine between Idaho City and Lowman...next summer that is!

TheAdmiral screwed with this post 12-15-2011 at 10:56 AM
Old 12-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #15
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,247
Nice job Admiral.
Now there's yet another entry on my list of places to ride. The list is getting very long. Will be looking for ya on the trails.
/IDRIDR
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote