User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
Loadedagain OP
making chips

Oddometer: 26,715
new rider on a 250 four stroke mx?

help me out here guys. i've got a friend who would like to get back into trail riding with his wife (who rides a honda 125f). he went out to dealers to look at bikes and they've got him talked into 250f bikes. he's 6'1" and about 200lbs. and while newly returning to bikes is a well adjusted guy and quite comfrotable around machinery. i feel he should be looking in the 450f area. what say you lot? he's looking at trails and "fire road". he would like to plate the bike also.

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:13 PM   #2
DIRT MAN
Tracker

Oddometer: 64
Im 5 11 230 I like my ktm250xcwf. in the woods. Not to good on the road .
DIRT MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:27 PM   #3
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,569
450's are a handful in the woods. Keep in mind that every motocrosser interviewed says that they cannot use all the power that a 450 has to offer. Privateers say that it is cheaper to build a 450 mxer than a 250. Mild motor work and spend the money on suspension.

A guy that I ride with bought a YZ450 last year. He loves it, but he also says that you really have to respect the power. He thinks he could get into trouble faster on the 450 than on his YZ 285.

If he really HAS to have a 450, steer him towards a wr450. An even better choice would probably be a wr250.

Even 250 mx bikes need work to work well in the woods. With a little work, a WR250 would probably work perfect.

Tom B
Old 03-13-2010, 09:33 PM   #4
Loadedagain OP
making chips

funny. you guys are leaning the opposite direction i figured. my experience with the new 250's is not positive. the guys up here who had them tended not to have them long due to lack of power. i suggested to this friend he bypass the 250 and go straight to the bigger power. hmmm.... maybe i'm barking up the wrong tree!

i guess i should explain my last "trail bike" was a ktm640 and before that was a tricked out 300exc (two stroke 340cc).... i like power and lots of it!

Old 03-13-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,413
Agree with Tom B...

Last fall, I found myself in the same situation as your friend (with the exception of wanting to "plate" my offroad bike).

I was riding an XR650R, that I had owned for a couple of years, after about a 15-to-18 year hiatus. However, one day, it left me stranded in a mudhole, after a crash (15-foot hill in front of me, and 15-foot hill in back). I kicked that damn thing until I couldn't kick anymore. Two weeks later, it was out of my life for good.

Anyhow, at the time, everyone was singing the praises of the KTM 300 (XC or XC-W). I had owned two-strokes before (even a CR500). You can say "linear power delivery", to me, a thousand times. However, I have ridden more two-strokes than I care to remember...and know better. I was approaching 40, and was kinda' intimidated by the whole "two-stroke" thing. My dexterity and coordination (*read- "throttle control") were not what they once were.

So, like a dumbass, I got on another motorcycle forum, and asked the opinions of (what I suspect was) a bunch of late-teens and 20-somethings. Well, as you might predict, the answers ranged from "F$%k Yeah!" to "Go for it!". So, I dropped the hammer on an '09 KTM 300 XC-W.

To make a long story less long, that son-of-a-bitch (300) tried to kill me a coupla' months later. I won't go into detail...But, suffice it to say that I almost drowned (yes, DROWNED), and have a previously-injured left shoulder that will never work right again.

The 300 is great. The only flaw, that I have found (on my bike), is the nut that connects the footpegs to the handlebars. It comes down to this...I wanted to match "Filet Mignon" wishes with "bologna" skills. I just bought too much damn motorcycle. Now that I know what I know, I woulda' purchased a 250 four-stroke, with the wide-range tranny (XCf-W?).

I am an American. So, I can embrace the concept of wanting too much. However, I would advise your friend to proceed with caution. That is just my very humble opinion...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:25 PM   #6
Loadedagain OP
making chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ
I am an American. So, I can embrace the concept of wanting too much. However, I would advise your friend to proceed with caution. That is just my very humble opinion...
and your opinion seems to be quite a common one. i think we'll be asking about locally a little more on the 250's.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:41 PM   #7
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,686
Don't forget the Husky TE250 or TE310. Tranny ratios are tight though.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:34 PM   #8
aaron_bc
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Colin... the bike he is looking at is not an "MX'er" it's a CRF250X... I already steered him away from an 250R since they are essentially race bikes and need more in the area of maintenance for the average weekend rider. And you can't plate dirtbikes anymore as of November, didn't know that?

I rode the BMW 450 last year, being my first summer dirt riding I found it big, hard to muscle around and intimidating when it came to power especially on the 52hp chip. And it's one of the lightest 450 enduros on the market.

I will have the chance to ride the new 2010 TE250 this year which I am excited about because I know it will suit my skill level, style of riding and goal for what I want to do.

I showed him the WR250 today, and it sits a bit higher than the CRF250X but they are both good bikes and should do the job well.

We had a used CRF250X in the shop back in January and took it for a rip before it sold... it pulled great for a 250 and was quite high (I couldn't touch the ground with both toes at once) which IMO will suit him well since I'm 5'11 and he's 6'1i''sh.

aaron_bc screwed with this post 03-13-2010 at 11:40 PM
aaron_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:59 AM   #9
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,569
I keep forgetting about the 250X. A friend of mine had one for a couple of years and with a Recluse, it was a pretty incredible woods bike.

Tom B
Old 03-14-2010, 07:09 AM   #10
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
The 250 is perfect if he wants to learn to ride well. I he just wants to play squid in straight lines the 450 should suit him nicely If he wants to save a few bucks a KDX200 will give similar performance with a lot less complexity and expense. Once he gets really fast (like racing B-class and up) he might find the chassis a bit sub-par as compared to current MX-derived chassis.

The new TE250 is probably the top current 250cc class off road machine. Note the 310, while a fine bike in its own right is based on the old 250cc platform so is a bit dated. The CRF and WR-F are also lovely.

All of these will suck on the road.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:27 AM   #11
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 23,190
I'll throw in my 2 bits.

I am a dirt novice, but 5'11" and 250+lbs. Definitely of size to want the power of a 450, in theory.

I have had a friggin' hoot using my BIL's beaten KDX200 in the woods. Easy and light bike to work with for a man with limited single track skills.

I've ridden my buddy's 450EXC a couple times in the same single track and that thing scares the crap out of me. It's like a light switch at the throttle and when you turn it ON, that thing launches like a rocket. Too much for my novice ass.

Your buddy may be up to the task, but I would steer him toward a cheaper, lightly used KDX200 or TE250 if one of those can be found in your area. The CRF250X sounds like a sweet starting point as well.

Loaded, ya gotta remember not everybody has your seat time or your skills on a bike.

EDIT: forgot who started this thread.

NICO screwed with this post 03-14-2010 at 08:02 AM
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:41 AM   #12
Brainless_1
Loose Nut!

Oddometer: 1,714
For trail riding a 250 should be plenty.

I am about 5'11" and about 265 pounds on a good day and I recently just picked up a 2005 WR250F and I am pretty happy so far with it,sure it lacks a little power if you find a really big hill but the weight and slimness of the bike make up for that.I might eventually put a 275 or a 290 kit on the bike but that would be on down the road.I had a Honda CRF 450X before this bike and I pretty much hated the bike, it was heavy,wide and had a little too much power in tight stuff and the power wasnt linear. Some other bikes to consider would be the Husky TE 250 or 310 or the Kawasaki KLX 250.The klx 250 can be made into a 300 with factory parts or with aftermaket parts from Bill Blue can be made clear up to a 351.
Brainless_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:54 AM   #13
aaron_bc
n00b

Were heading out to take a look at 250X's this morning. We'll see how it goes. They are both 04's with supposed low hours. I'll know the minute I see them if they are trying to jerk us around.

The TE is a wicked bike, and I showed it to him (a new 2010) since we had some on the showroom floor. But he dosen't want to get a new bike and used TE's are hard to come by up here because they were never officially in Canada until a few months ago.

I think the X will be a good bike. He is going to use it for woods riding, if it's just a bit down on power... play with the teeth. The suspension on the X will be better suited to woods than an R or YZ...
Old 03-14-2010, 01:43 PM   #14
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
I have an '05 CRF250x, I'm 6ft 185lbs.

Things you need to do to this bike.
1. cut the airbox to 4x4" to get more air.
2. rejet the carb richer to accomodate the increased air.
3. drill the exhaust baffle to 11/16" to get better flow, won't make noticeable any louder.
4. down the road consider a Hot Cam Stage 1 for more horsepower at low to mid throttle range. Just put one in mine and it makes a nice increase in power.
5. when and if the valves zero out, send the head to AS Racing and get Kibble White stainless steel valves on the intakes. They last forever and erase valve train issues. If you have some extra dough, get the '07R head with stainless valves for a couple more ponies.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:56 PM   #15
aaron_bc
n00b

Ended up getting an 04 250X today. The first one we looked at was cleaner overall but the engine sounded tired and the idle was surging. The second idled solid, no loud ticks, hot started and cold started well, shifted well and was clean overall. It seems this one was used more but maintained properly whereas the other one we didn't get was ridden less but not maintained properly.

The thing that made it the one was the price ($1000 less than the other one) and he had paperwork from the dealer so it can acutally be registered to the new owner and proper liability insurance bought.

We packed it into a Ford Excursion.. It wouldn't fit so I had to take the whole front end off..