ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 07:17 AM   #1
fudgypup OP
Banned

Oddometer: 2,199
Beyond Starbucks

Like the dinosaurs that used to roam the earth but were wiped out, apparently by a huge asteroid, ADVrider was also once a place where big bikes were more abundant.
ADVrider was created to support the horizon-chasing adventure motorcycling community. Because of that, we support free-wheeling thinking, great pictures and stories, those who aren't afraid to turn a wrench (and those who have turned them with trepidation), and riders who respect the diversity that makes the planet worth traveling.
ADVrider is certainly diverse, but isn’t always a place where that diversity is respected, especially for us big-bike riders. The common joke about us involves use of the word “Starbucks” (insert laughter). We get it. KLR riders are cheap, KTM riders wear nothing but orange and big bike riders (particularly the GS/GSA’s) never venture beyond Starbucks. It's funny because there’s an element of truth to it.

This thread, “B E Y O N D S T A R B U C K S” is intended as a place for big-bike riders in the West Region to discuss bikes, gear, farkles, riding, trip planning, training, etc… amongst others of like mind. This thread is not a place to disrespect the diversity that is ADVrider. Trolls, haters and bike fascists are free to bash in Jo Mama.

Most importantly though, us big bike riders with less off-road experience need to venture beyond our local coffee shop. Go ahead, get your bike dirty. Adventure doesn’t have to mean an 18 month journey through Asia and Africa, but neither is it a quick ride down Laguna Canyon Road and back.

Big bikes are great at touring and there will be touring opportunities. Big bikes are great on the street and there will be opportunities to ride plenty of twisties, as well as participate in track days. The most exciting opportunities will be off-road in events geared for the big bike. We’ll plan our own big-bike rides, as well as be part of other rides throughout the year.

For you more seasoned big bike riders, step up and show some leadership here. Give something back to the community that gave you your intro to adventure.

Big Bike Friendly Rides:

San Diego Back Country Adventure Route: 1/1/12 (CA Stu)
2012 Carrizo Plains-Pozo-Camino Cielos Ride 1/28-29 (H8Chains)
nOObs rALLy end of march madness 2012 3/30-4/1 (H8Chains)
Big Bike Skills Day 3/24/12 in Hesperia (Fudgypup)
Quatro de Mayo full mOOn ride (Rowher Flats; Klammer)
San Diego Back Country Adventure, Round 2 - May 5-6, 2012 (Bdarling)
May 26-30 Toroweap-Grand Canyon-So. Utah (TBD; H8chains)
GeoMoto's Flying Monkey Adventure Rally (S. Utah/Grand Canyon; July 19-22)
Explore Mt. San Jacinto (June 29-Jul 1; Nomad5326)
WMRS (8th Annual; Aug 3-5; Benton Crossing/Brown's Meadow CG; RAZR)
WMRS (Unofficial; Aug 30-Sep 2; Benton Crossing/Brown's Meadow CG; Fudgypup)
CORE Mammoth Brews and Blues Aug 3-5 (Crawdaddy)

Alaska Rides:

Lonestar2112 (summer '12)

fudgypup screwed with this post 06-26-2012 at 07:26 AM Reason: new rides
Old 12-14-2011, 07:55 AM   #2
luv2race
Confused

Oddometer: 2,312
Right on Fudgy, step up! I'd like to be the first to subscribe since I now own a big bike. Looking forward to see where this thread takes us
Old 12-14-2011, 07:57 AM   #3
riceless950
Let's Ride!

Oddometer: 3,228
Great idea for a thread!

Old 12-14-2011, 08:00 AM   #4
dunerat
WTF?

Oddometer: 14,182
I never even knew KTM made a 950 before I started riding with ADV.A big bike to me was a 500 smoker
What your saying is true.... I have seen the ebb and flow of types of bikes and size around here and have seen the crowd change as well. Personally I like taking both bikes to the ADV events and used to take alot of bashing about RVing (never saw anyone protest the food , drinks , entertainment , fire etc etc etc it provides tho)insert laughter chingas.That being said (also don't own one piece of orange gear)I'll join your Adventure group any time for a quick jont to starbucks ( of course I'll be at the closest booze depot near it on a KTM with black gear ,insert anutha clever smiley chingas)Ride on my brutha from anutha mutha.... U have my support
Old 12-14-2011, 08:26 AM   #5
fudgypup OP
Banned

Oddometer: 2,199
What would you call a "big bike?"

So just what is a "big bike?"

When I think big bikes, I automatically think the GS/GSA and KTM 990/950.

I'd also say: BMW F800 GS, Triumph Tiger class, Suzuki V-strom, Yamaha Super Tenere, Ducati Multistrada.

What else?

Anything 650 cc's and up?
Old 12-14-2011, 08:43 AM   #6
JG55
Almost Normal

Oddometer: 145
Well said. Looking forward to further post.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:46 AM   #7
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,488
The nature of the readership has changed. It is not so much that there is a lack of respect of diversity, it is the personal attacks on people who post something that challenges a particular point of view. It is not limited to motorcycles. What is particularly depressing is the limited knowledge that posters like that have of their subject matter.

It can be just as challenging to ride a big bike on a moderate trail as a small one on single track.

Off my soap box, good for you. My interest is obscure historical points of interest in the American West. If I can reach them on a big bike that is what I will take just for the comfort of it. Now I have a place to post pics for people of similiar interest even if the road seems boring to others.

itsatdm screwed with this post 12-14-2011 at 09:11 AM
Old 12-14-2011, 09:09 AM   #8
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,843
i'm all IN fudge!

Old 12-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #9
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,317
Definitely agree and am in for this too. Especially since I just bought an 1100GS and am selling the 800.

Like Gary, I'm interested in riding to go places and see shit and I think the bigger adventure bikes are the way to do it.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
Old 12-14-2011, 09:23 AM   #10
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,876
Best thread name ever...
Congrats Fudgy.
I'm IN.

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
Old 12-14-2011, 09:26 AM   #11
luv2race
Confused

Oddometer: 2,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgypup View Post
So just what is a "big bike?"

Anything 650 cc's and up?
I once thought the DR650 was a big bike, but after a day on the 990, it feels like a small bike. I would consider a big bike anything over 350 lbs, twin cylinder, above 650 cc's. Many guys and girls here ride their big bikes like it's a small bike, so their interpretation may be different.

luv2race screwed with this post 12-14-2011 at 09:31 AM
Old 12-14-2011, 09:29 AM   #12
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,531
I'm all IN Fudgy... I love to ride dirt AND distances. Love to tour and smell the flowers

Oh, by the way, you know this is a slippery slope ......

Next thing you know someone will be asking for acceptance of ADV'rs that eat meat, and,,,, ahem... RIDE HARLEYS !!

Old 12-14-2011, 09:36 AM   #13
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Good idea. Retro

I remember back when I joined this group, Herrhelmet and I about two years previously turned in our "little" bikes (Husky TC 450) for Adventure bikes, because we wanted to ride more and trailer/truck less.

When we bought our Dakars, all we did was ride and camp everywhere we went from DV and Norcal, to Baja, Nevada and yes, we gave up performance to be able to ride more and access further places.

But alas, after five years of giving up the performance, I had a hankering for greater agility, hill climbing ability, the ability to access harder to get to places, really just more high performance fun again.

The key is to have a big bike and a small bike. And to be able to have fun riding both and not strictly be locked in to any type of riding in order to do this.

I miss the good ol days when 6-12 of us would ride to far off places and sleep in the dirt, drink tons of booze and not shower for days. And the smallest bike was a 650.

Someone should plan a ride to a place where hotels/motels are not an option at all. Back to basics, but I'm not giving up the 450 ever again.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:38 AM   #14
dunerat
WTF?

Oddometer: 14,182
Leave Harley and the degenerates who ride them rite whAre they are, I'm sure there plenty happy with what they have going on

Yep
Old 12-14-2011, 09:46 AM   #15
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerat View Post
Leave Harley and the degenerates who ride them rite whAre they are, I'm sure there plenty happy with what they have going on

Yep
Sober up.