Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2011, 08:30 AM   #16
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdreyer View Post
Aw shoot, I wish I'd seen this sooner. Good luck with that light, TT HID's are junk. Yes the light is great and works well but that won't last long. The bulbs and ballasts will go out soon You'll become tired of boxing it up and shipping it back to TT. TT bought mine back after a year and more shipments than I can count on one hand YMMV.

Geoff at Trail Tech!

My mother used to say"if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". But these guys really pissed me off, especially that ass.
Fingers crossed that I have better luck. Will report back if problems start.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:32 AM   #17
ABuck99

Oddometer: 510
Ive heard that the ballast is the weak point in the HID set up on the smaller cc bikes. I was told that they need consistent voltage delivery above 12v- or they tend to fail much sooner which could be the issue some have had with the TT HID set ups. While the 690 is probably ok in voltage and wattage output, the OEM 450/530 stators are AC output and if extra electrics are added, the stator should be upgraded; like to a DC system like TT's- which they say delivers constant 100w DC at idle or FT.

With technology improving for LED- Ive been looking much closer at the Vision-X kits, any one have good experience with these?
Old 12-22-2011, 09:10 AM   #18
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 875
the tt hids on my 690 failed (both, one about 500 miles later) within 1200 miles
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #19
Trailtech
n00b

Oddometer: 8
We ride what we design and build in the USA - and we stand behind it - period.

We did have trouble with our early HID systems. If you have problems with our lights, just contact us @ 360-687-4530, we are here. If you are not happy with our product we want to take care of you or buy it back. Are we perfect? No. Do we know what we are doing? Yes, I invite you to come visit our production facility in Washington state and decide for yourself.

Our current production is rated and tested to 1,000 hours life for lamp (lifetime warranty on our ballasts). Most of our lamps life test is making up to and over 2,000 hours. Automotive specification is 2,000 hours. As our housings are small and our output is high, we run much hotter than standard automotive. This is not an easy task. No other company in the world makes these type of lights from the ground up - lamps and ballasts.

Personally, I have our HID's on both my street and dirt machines and would not ride without them. If there were a better lights, I would be running them, it is dark here in the winter.....

geoff@trailtech.net
Trailtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #20
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailtech View Post

We did have trouble with our early HID systems. If you have problems with our lights, just contact us @ 360-687-4530, we are here. If you are not happy with our product we want to take care of you or buy it back. Are we perfect? No. Do we know what we are doing? Yes, I invite you to come visit our production facility in Washington state and decide for yourself.

Our current production is rated and tested to 1,000 hours life for lamp (lifetime warranty on our ballasts). Most of our lamps life test is making up to and over 2,000 hours. Automotive specification is 2,000 hours. As our housings are small and our output is high, we run much hotter than standard automotive. This is not an easy task. No other company in the world makes these type of lights from the ground up - lamps and ballasts.

Personally, I have our HID's on both my street and dirt machines and would not ride without them. If there were a better lights, I would be running them, it is dark here in the winter.....

geoff@trailtech.net
Cool! Well time will tell but, it's good to know you guys are keeping on top of the web discussions.
2002 RC51 SOLD
Old 12-22-2011, 12:23 PM   #21
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailtech View Post

geoff@trailtech.net
Thanks Geoff
Ill send you an e mail
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #22
Dirtorslab
Brad

Oddometer: 10
Need More Light!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biped View Post
I did a bi-xenon HID lamp conversion from DDM Tunning on the stock '08 690 E headlamp. Has been working great for a year. The fitment of the HV coil was a little tricky but got it to work. I have a 35W, 5500K version. Can not beat the price, and runs cooler than incandecent with less power draw.
Only issue I have is the Hi beam switch does not work, but the Hi flash works, too lazy to debug.

Biped,
I have a 2009 690ER and have been researching lighting conversions...TrailTech, factory mod of combining Ho/Lo on at the same time, HidsRus etc. I noticed on the DDM Tuning website that there is note about needing TWO ballasts with a high/low harness:

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...rcycle-HID-Kit
"HID Harness (controls H/L movement)*
* High / Low Wiring harness is designed to work with 2 ballasts"

Does this mean that the 690ER needs more than is in the kit standard kit? Have you had any issues with an HID bulb in the stock KTM reflector (plenty of light down the road, drivers "flashing" you)?

This project was ushered by a long ride to camp after getting lost deep in the Ozarks on an OHV trail...night riding with the stock 690ER headlamp not confidence-inspiring!

Thanks,
Brad
Dirtorslab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #23
Biped
NooB Again

Oddometer: 265
Hi Brad,
I am not sure on the '09 and later headlights. The '08 uses H4 bi-xenon bulb that has a build in solinoid to switch from Hi to Lo without the lamp powering down. As such I only have one ballast. Yes, using the stock reflector and mask. Mine is a 35Watt so runs a lot cooler than the stock 55W halogen. I have over 4000 miles on the lamp, 50% offroad will quite a few spills and no failure. I do commute, and at night in the winter, but have not been harrassed by cars. It works well to light up the shaddows/roots in the deep woods when overcast.

I'm not sure on the '09 and up, but you should get by with just a "low" beam with a 35Watt HID. I have never used Hi beam other than to flash.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #24
sp600
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Biped

"Only issue I have is the Hi beam switch does not work, but the Hi flash works, too lazy to debug."

Are you running two ballasts? It appears to be critical for proper Hi/Lo functionality.
sp600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #25
Biped
NooB Again

Oddometer: 265
The Hi/Lo Xeon lamp only requires 1 ballast. There is a solenoid in the lamp that moves a reflector to switch from Hi to Lo beam which runs off a separate 12V circuit. I'm sure I can get it to work, but for now like the fact that I can turn the light off when I need to. The low bean is more than adequate for the night riding I do.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #26
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Update. After 1800 miles and 8 months including 6 straight days in Baja, my Trailtech HID is still working fine.
2002 RC51 SOLD
Old 07-23-2012, 05:43 AM   #27
NovaMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
I retrofitted a 22w ADVMonster LED lamp into my oem mask. I grafted the LED assembly into the reflector & secured with a stainless plate I cut for the purpose. I wired in a Skene dimmer in order to control the brightness.

I'm happy with the final product. It would be nice if the beam spread were tighter for the lower output settings but high-beam is a dream!

NovaMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #28
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,057
I was just looking at this in the OC:

and was wondering if anyone has installed one of these:

Morimoto Mini DS2 HID Projector in one of these:

Old 12-13-2012, 10:11 PM   #29
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS simp View Post
I went with the Lynx fairing and full HiD upgrade super lights now,,,
I will also be going with the Lynx fairing from Brittania Composites this off season.

Ian is a stand up guy and has been very helpful with answering questions in his Vendors thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ight=brittania

His site:

http://www.britanniacomposites.com/

They do make a specific one for the 690, so fitment is supposed to be very straightforward.

Better lights, less power draw, and an adjustable screen. It's my overall winner.

Good luck with your choice.

C
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #30
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
I was just looking at this in the OC:

and was wondering if anyone has installed one of these:

Morimoto Mini DS2 HID Projector in one of these:

I've got one of those installed and would say the beam is excellent but the quality is low. Hi/lo often gets stuck in either one, and sometimes bounces back and forth really rapidly.
A heavy duty version of this would be excellent!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote