User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2014, 02:03 PM   #1
silverhead OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Saving the old footpeg rubbers

I ordered new foot pet rubber for my R90 and I'm curious how to get the old ones off without cutting them off. Is there an easy way?
silverhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:12 PM   #2
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 3,031
If they are really hard, put them in boiling water for awhile, then using a vise, drive the peg down though them with a drift. Another option, rotate them on the peg to get the unworn bottom to the top. Note: if they are really old they may crack. Another tip: to keep the ends from wearing prematurely, put a hose clamp around it...
Big Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:23 PM   #3
silverhead OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I was thinking of turning them 180 degrees and using them like that. I spaced that they simply unbolt from the bike so I can boil them on the stove.

Is there any way to confirm that the ones I got in the mail are OEM vs something made elsewhere? There are no part numbers or anything cast into them.
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2014, 02:31 PM   #4
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Mine look different than yours, no molding flash on the outer end like the top one. No part number either. Note: they are installed with the plain hex end on the inside. When you beat them on, the nub on the end of the peg is supposed to fit inside the space showing on the top one, not sticking out proud of the end of the rubber.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:35 PM   #5
silverhead OP
Gnarly Adventurer

These one smell India fabulous to me, but I'm not familiar with BMW parts. I had a hunch they may be non OEM.

The ones on my bike are only worn on the tops, so I may attempt to flip them and use them. They're not cracked. It's not a big deal, but eventually I'd like to track down the suppliers that sell the best OEM stuff since I don't mind paying a bit extra to get parts that usually last longer than knock-off stuff.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:43 PM   #6
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,032
Not every old tired mc part has value or worth saving. Granted I've stored used hard parts...just in case. If you think old worn peg rubbers will bring a smile to your grandkids face when he opens the "look what granpa left you" box I'd try working them like hand grips. Stuff a screwdriver under the edge work it in till you make a tunnel/chamber then blast the opening with your air compressor to unstick it.
Not judging cause evreyone has their on agenda and sense of value. Heck I had a ships engineer on my crew that had a a full cigar box of dead fried glass fuses.
To each his own. :)
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:58 PM   #7
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
These one smell India fabulous to me, but I'm not familiar with BMW parts. I had a hunch they may be non OEM.

The ones on my bike are only worn on the tops, so I may attempt to flip them and use them. They're not cracked. It's not a big deal, but eventually I'd like to track down the suppliers that sell the best OEM stuff since I don't mind paying a bit extra to get parts that usually last longer than knock-off stuff.
Yep, the double flashing showing on the top one looks like somebody made a mold using an original part... MaxBMW sells the factory stuff and are allegedly the warehouse for BMW Motorrad USA. That said, even BMW gets a bad batch of parts from their suppliers, occasionally. It's not like they own Bosch etc...
Old 10-04-2014, 03:14 PM   #8
Pokie
Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer: 813
I get these old foot peg rubbers off the same way I get the old handle bar grips off. Take a long, thin screw driver and smear it up with oil, twist and wiggle it down the shaft of the rubber. Once the screw driver is most of the way in, squirt (with an oil can) down the inside edge of the space the screw driver has made. Now twist and rock the screw driver about then withdraw it. Twist the foot peg rubber or handle bar grip to slide it off. Yes, it's that simple.
Pokie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 04:34 PM   #9
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,267
Most spares supplied by BMW these days are not from the OEM supplier, so we will just have to get used to it.

They are on at least their fourth handlebar switch supplier, and the last one I bought , which was devoid of any markings, lasted about two months!
Old 10-04-2014, 04:45 PM   #10
silverhead OP
Gnarly Adventurer

usgser has me pegged as a hoarder and he's absolutely right. I should just throw them in the trash.

Upon inspection, they are indeed cracked and it looks like someone flipped them over once already, years ago.

I am not bad enough that I've ever intentionally saved blown fuses though, haha. I always have spare parts laying around that I hope to someday give away to someone that needs them, because I, personally, never end up using them. Sometimes I re-purpose stuff for projects though.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:43 PM   #11
Thorazine
Likes exhaust fumes

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
I am not bad enough that I've ever intentionally saved blown fuses though, haha. I always have spare parts laying around that I hope to someday give away to someone that needs them, because I, personally, never end up using them. Sometimes I re-purpose stuff for projects though.
You're in the right place, Silver, at least in my opinion

* Posts submitted under the moniker Thorazine are for entertainment purposes only, and may include exaggerations, prevarications or bald-faced lies. -- Thorazine - '74 R90/6
Thorazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:54 PM   #12
r60man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokie View Post
I get these old foot peg rubbers off the same way I get the old handle bar grips off. Take a long, thin screw driver and smear it up with oil, twist and wiggle it down the shaft of the rubber. Once the screw driver is most of the way in, squirt (with an oil can) down the inside edge of the space the screw driver has made. Now twist and rock the screw driver about then withdraw it. Twist the foot peg rubber or handle bar grip to slide it off. Yes, it's that simple.
Wayyyyyy too much work for grips. Simply slide your switches towards the center of the bar. Insert the end of the air compressor end that simply blows. Give it a blast and watch it fly across the garage. Does no harm to the grip can be used again and again. Not sure if it will work with the foot peg rubbers.

Speed doesn't kill anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you - Jeremy Clarkson
r60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:50 PM   #13
Beemerguru
Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer: 934
Won't work for heated grips or most foot pegs...open ends
Beemerguru is offline   Reply With Quote