Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,265
got to get there!
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #242
pip_muenster OP
curious

Oddometer: 410
Do you know any of the riders? The German licence plates are more or less from my area here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
Somewhere on F26 I found this :)
Well that's funny: If someone's bringing a whole spare wheel (so he can just throw away a dented rim) he's probably a BMW rider. If so, he had paid the extra money on an upgrade to Excel rims - I assume to avoid dents ...
Old 02-12-2013, 07:13 AM   #243
JamesL
- - -

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
pip_muenster Yesterday 07:50 PM
Do you know any of the riders? The German licence plates are more or less from my area here.
No, unfortunately I don't know of anyone. I just take pictures of motorcycles.
This time I had been there instead of another mode of transport ...

Quote:
Well that's funny: If someone's bringing a whole spare wheel (so he can just throw away a dented rim) he's probably a BMW rider. If so, he had paid the extra money on an upgrade to Excel rims - I assume to avoid dents ...
I remember that before I found the wheel, I saw about 5 hours before, a beige
Toyota Landcruiser support vechile...or something like that...the roof
was fixed motorcycle wheels and panniers. I'm not sure, but that was where it could fall off and be lost.
I think i'ts still there :)
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:59 AM   #244
pingvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Great RR, thanks!

Me and some buddies are considering Iceland next year. Some of us have larger bikes like GS1200 and KTM690 (me) but we also got smaller enduro bikes like KTM350/450/530.

So we consider taking the small bikes to include more people but also because in difficult terrain they're a lot easier and more fun to ride (though 690 isn't bad!). For those of you that's been there, will those bikes work fine? I've got a 13L tank on my 530 but might still need extra fuel?

Is trail riding legal, if not is it plenty of challenging roads?

Also we want to travel light, are there enough hotels/B&Bs or do we really need to bring sleeping bag/tent

Planning 1 week, is that enough? Ok, I'll stop there:-)
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
pingvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:25 AM   #245
pip_muenster OP
curious

Hello!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingvin View Post
So we consider taking the small bikes to include more people but also because in difficult terrain they're a lot easier and more fun to ride (though 690 isn't bad!). For those of you that's been there, will those bikes work fine? I've got a 13L tank on my 530 but might still need extra fuel?
It seems almost everybody who comes back to Iceland and rides the highlands is switching to smaller bikes. I'm considering another tour this summer, but also with a smaller bike.
Regarding fuel, there are almost no gas stations other than near the ring road, and depending on the weather you don't always know if you can make it across all rivers. We calculated fuel range to the furthest obstacle and back, just in case. I carried 30L for the 1150GS.

Quote:
Is trail riding legal, if not is it plenty of challenging roads?
I THINK you can ride on almost any road or trail, but OFFROAD riding is strictly forbidden since tire tracks stay visible for years and years in the cold climate. You may want to ask some of the locals for better information on trail riding. Someone commented on that a few pages back.
Where we were, the challenges were mainly sand and the water crossings. Many roads were rocky and challenged the bash plate, though.
Quote:
Also we want to travel light, are there enough hotels/B&Bs or do we really need to bring sleeping bag/tent
In the highlands you won't find hotels, but huts and simple hostels, where you need nothing, but a sleeping bag. We've only used them once, so I don't know much about them.

Quote:
Planning 1 week, is that enough? Ok, I'll stop there:-)
How can I answer that?
Old 03-09-2013, 04:17 AM   #246
pingvin
Gnarly Adventurer

OK, thanks for quck reply! Guess fuel consumption for my KTM isn't that much better than your BMW so probably need like 10L spare then. Was hoping to have some smaller cans from this place www.fuelfriend.com in bags but then need some bigger ones like this stuff http://www.kolpinpowersports.com/pro...l-pack-jr.html . Hate riding when low on fuel.

Or service vehicle with all equipment

Rephrasing my question, will 7 days be enough to get around the island on fun roads and seeing the highlights? Rather stay a couple of days more and feel I didn't miss too much. Of course I can revisit Iceland but have so many other plans (Romania, Namibia, Thailand, Himalaya, South America...) so kinda want to "finish" Iceland. I'm sure you could stay there 3 months and still have more too see, but you know what I mean...maybe
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE

pingvin screwed with this post 03-09-2013 at 04:25 AM
Old 03-09-2013, 05:05 AM   #247
Maddin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
... Rephrasing my question, will 7 days be enough to get around the island on fun roads and seeing the highlights?
Hi,

i would not go to Iceland for 1 week. Pip and me, we were 3 weeks in Iceland and now thinking of going there a second time.

Even with 2 weeks in Iceland you have to leave some interessting areas aside. It also depends of what you want to see. When you only want to do the highlands, you are in a hurry to cross it twice in one week.

If you really want to see most af all interessting things, go for 3 weeks, better 4. Thats my opinion.

Martin
Maddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:20 AM   #248
pingvin
Gnarly Adventurer

OK, thanks, kinda suspected 1 week wasn't enough. Also planned having family over for a week so have to stay there all summer then Think maybe 2 weeks+1week with family realisticly is what can manage.
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
Old 03-09-2013, 05:55 AM   #249
pip_muenster OP
curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddin View Post
Hi,

i would not go to Iceland for 1 week. Pip and me, we were 3 weeks in Iceland and now thinking of going there a second time.
Moin Maddin!

Quote:
OK, thanks, kinda suspected 1 week wasn't enough. Also planned having family over for a week so have to stay there all summer then Think maybe 2 weeks+1week with family realisticly is what can manage.
You could see a lot with a normal rental car ('Golden Circle', Westfjords etc.), add a guided highland trip or rent an offroader for a day or 2 ... Then spend 1-2 weeks with the bikes in the highlands and you'll have the time of your life!
Old 03-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #250
pingvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Sounds like a plan, sightseeing with family, riding with buddies So already started thinking of the practical sides of using small enduro bikes...they weren't exactly built with luggage in mind. And then there's the fuel issue. Plenty of threads regarding this here though, might start a thread under Equipment (home with broken collar bone after enduro crash in Spain recently so got LOTS of time).

Thanks
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
Old 08-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #251
ThisWayHome
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Thanks a bunch for investing the time in this trip report. It is very handy and will benefit all the future riders.
ThisWayHome is offline   Reply With Quote