Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2012, 08:49 AM   #121
pip_muenster OP
curious

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz View Post
Since i was looking for a more direct way to reach the Myvatn than the F88, i noticed on the map a track starting west of Askja that arrives near Aldeyjarfoss. It's the same "shortcut" you are speaking of?
If you got pictures or even informations about it (length, number of river crossings etc...) you can make me happy!
Hi,

where are you from? Anyway, as I haven't been there myself I can't give reliable information. I don't know whether he's spending much time here, but inmate jenzz might be able to help. Maybe send him a PM.
From a look at my map, I don't think that it's the same route. Your route leads to the F26, while I believe they followed a route marked in my map without a number, leading straight north and ending at the Myvatn near the Hverfell. They mentioned lots of sand, fords with strong currents and deeper than the R80GS' air intake as also lacking markers.
I'm pretty sure it was a fun adventure, but the fastest way is the F88 as we took it.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #122
pip_muenster OP
curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbert View Post
Got it. Just joking. Carry on please, great report.
Here too. Someone had to ask about it ...
Old 01-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #123
pip_muenster OP
curious

Day 22

Somebody was already up and offered fresh coffee when I got up. The hostel was run by a British woman who had years ago turned her Iceland fascination into a full-time job over the summer months. While sitting on a garden bench, enjoying the scenery and the view towards the Eyjafjallajoekull we discussed my problem and she took a few phone calls trying to organize some help.

The hostel at Fljotsdalur

The French couple offered to take me into town - which was of course the simplest solution.

Not a Toyota Yaris

They dropped me at the gas station where I asked the attended whether he would know someone who could help. He did, and had someone one the phone for me within a minute. We ordered some burgers (what else) for breakfast, and before they were ready to serve, a sprinter van pulled up in front of the gas station.

This was great, but the van would never be able to reach the bike. So we had to find something else. For the next 30 minutes, he was constantly on the phone, trying to find someone who had time to help. Everybody was willing, but couldn't leave their daytime jobs.

Success! His cousin Haukur agreed to help and could be with us within half an hour.

Our 'tow truck' was a typical Icelandic off-road jeep, also known as a super-jeep. They can go up the glaciers in mid-winter and are capable of crossing the deepest fords. This one had once seen the water level some 10 centimeters below the roof line without getting stuck.

(photo: Maddin)

As soon as we hit dirt, we stopped and lowered the tire pressure. Each rim had two vents, one without the actual valve, to release the air quickly. The other one is standard and can be connected to the on-board air compressor.

With the pressure dropped, driving the dirt road was as smooth as tarmac. We got to the bike, loaded it onto the trailer and went back.

Maddin was following, watching the load. We've had some discussions about how to secure the bike and we weren't happy with the way he had strapped it down. And of course, it loosened itself on the bumpy road. (It wasn't that bumpy in the jeep, remember?) So Maddin ended up following us right in the middle of the huge cloud of dusk created by the big tires ...
Thanks, Maddin!

All this took longer than we thought, so although we had bargained a very good price for the rescue, I paid our savior what he'd first asked for. It was still very cheap.

Meanwhile I had also been able to discuss the problem with my mechanic at home, who confirmed that the oil pressure warning could mean the end for the engine. But he also said, that this usually happens so fast that we should be able to hear the broken engine by the time the light went on. It could be a failing oil pressure sensor, and as the sensor's only duty was to control that light, it would then be ok to just ignore it.
Haukur had offered his workshop, which we used to clean and check the sensor. A test ride along the asphalt ring road confirmed the oil warning, but no strange sounds. Go.

All this had cost us the day, so we had to drop our plans to visit the Reykjanes peninsular. Instead we went straight to the next camp site with a hot shower.

While I do have some technical understanding, I'm not very familiar with engines, and the BMW is pretty new to me. If we had been riding through the middle of Africa, I would have been better prepared. Here on Iceland there is phone reception everywhere and often even roadside assistance is available. I relied on that and I don't regret it. Actually, it was the cheapest 'super-jeep tour' I could get.

Riding on with that damn warning light in front of me however was annoying. And though I knew that I could just disconnect the sensor, that just didn't felt right either. I can very easily connect to Sheldon ...

pip_muenster screwed with this post 01-04-2012 at 02:50 PM
pip_muenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:08 AM   #124
Tiwaz
Adv pro - Bike noob

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pip_muenster View Post
From a look at my map, I don't think that it's the same route. Your route leads to the F26, while I believe they followed a route marked in my map without a number, leading straight north and ending at the Myvatn near the Hverfell.
Thanks for your reply,
btw i'm from Italy and i'm actually riding an F800GS, just for some presentations...

That said, the road (road?) that i'm refering to has two options, one leads to Garđur in the Myvatn southern shore and the other reconnects to the road 843 near Aldeyjarfoss (not directly to the F26).
I'm looking for the shortest way more than the fastest, due to the "OH MY GOD I'M RUNNING OUT OF FUEL!" nightmares that are ruining my mates sleep...
Tiwaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:48 AM   #125
pip_muenster OP
curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz View Post
That said, the road (road?) that i'm refering to has two options, one leads to Garđur in the Myvatn southern shore and the other reconnects to the road 843 near Aldeyjarfoss (not directly to the F26).
I'm looking for the shortest way more than the fastest, due to the "OH MY GOD I'M RUNNING OUT OF FUEL!" nightmares that are ruining my mates sleep...
Buona sera,

that could be the one then, leading to Gaudur ... but I'm guessing here. Anyway, if your mate has sleeping trouble, the F88 has its advantages:
- maybe less fuel consumption as there is no sand to struggle with
- occasional traffic = help
- no unknown water crossings: If you come across something unpassable, you need the gas to go back anyway.
On the tricky highland bits we calculated fuel to the furthest obstacle and back, taking into account that MPG drop significantly on bad roads.

But that other track would still be fun to tackle.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #126
Tiwaz
Adv pro - Bike noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip_muenster View Post
Buona sera,

that could be the one then, leading to Gaudur ... but I'm guessing here. Anyway, if your mate has sleeping trouble, the F88 has its advantages:
- maybe less fuel consumption as there is no sand to struggle with
- occasional traffic = help
- no unknown water crossings: If you come across something unpassable, you need the gas to go back anyway.
On the tricky highland bits we calculated fuel to the furthest obstacle and back, taking into account that MPG drop significantly on bad roads.

But that other track would still be fun to tackle.
Let's see if i got it...

The good option: F88
- less sand = good
- more traffic = good
- known water crossings = good

The ...other... option: Fwhatever
- sand as far as your eyes can see = laugh (when others drown their bikes)
- no traffic (maybe no track at all) = a lot of stories to tell at the pub
- unknown river crossings = death (that nullifies the second point...)

I need some time to think about it...

Seriously, thank you for your advice! I think that we will evaluate what to do based on how bad the F910 experience will be...
Old 01-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #127
McFuryMcNugget
me specie in dea ist

Oddometer: 499
Sorry to butt in.

We have had many die up here trying to do some Of the map offroad stunts.And plunging down a mountain.

Tryin to pass a river with out marking etc.........

The water level rise by the hour and Many have been stuck in the river with the bike on top and drown and could wash away.

This is NOT to be taken lightly. Plus your far away from Rescue.

Keep this in mind when in Island.

McFury.
Whats next ? Man walking on the moon ?.
All typing is done with One Finger using a MacPro Computer.
McFuryMcNugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #128
Tiwaz
Adv pro - Bike noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFuryMcNugget View Post

This is NOT to be taken lightly. Plus your far away from Rescue.
I'm just joking a little bit...
Being a mountaineer i'm not used to take that sort of things lightly, don't worry. As you can see i'm taking informations about something i don't know, as i usually do before climbing a new mountain.
This doesn't make me a superhero, just a (maybe) smart person. With this it's seems that i'm taking myself a bit out of topic... that is the nice report that i'm gladly following!
Old 01-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #129
pip_muenster OP
curious

Day 23

By lunchtime the next day we had reached the Seljlandsfoss, where you could walk behind the water fall. The fall faces west, and it was not yet lit by the sun - not good for photos ... So we rode on to a nearby camp ground / cafe to wait. As they were closed, we let ourselves in and used their kitchen to have some lunch. Finding a place to leave some money was a bit tricky, but we improvised.
Meanwhile the sun had reached the waterfall, as had the tourists.

A bit down the ring road followed the next water fall almost immediately. The Skogafoss had lots of spray and the sunlight created a 'spray-bow' in it above the waterfall. Interestingly, this was only visible from a distance.

Skogafoss

But if you want to see a truly magnificent photo of the fall, check this out: NASA Astronomy picture of the day, November 14, 2011.

We also had to cross the washed away bride again, and this time we took the time to have a more thorough look.

And this one shows how it probably looked before ...

Apart from the scenery, riding the ring road was pretty boring. And it can get cold as you usually don't have to work that hard. But as a payback, the weather was still perfect when we reached the glacial lagoon in the south of the Vatnajoekull.

Shooting desktop backgrounds ...

We considered setting up our tents at the lagoon, but decided to ride on to Hoefn. Maybe an hour later we stopped in astonishment. Right in front of us was a tall and solid wall of fog. Without words both of us grabbed an extra layer of clothes: this would get cold.
Meanwhile the fog had moved a few meters away from us, exposing a large barn which had been invisible a minute before.

Driving on we had the sensation of riding through wafts of mist. While I usually hate fog when riding, it was mind blowing here. This was one of our last days of riding, and even after sunset, it seemed as if Iceland constantly tried to come up with more beautiful scenery.

When we reached the camp site it was almost midnight. I had to make a few last photos before going to bed.

And then there was the chunk of ice I had fished from the lagoon. Together with a sip of single malt it was a perfect ending for the day.

Of course, single malt and ice are a terrible mixture, but I just had to have a glacial drink and there was nothing else available.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #130
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,289
Absolutely fantastic pictures. Beautiful scenery.

Women, er, women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #131
Frey Bentos
not listening

Oddometer: 634
fantastic report.
Frey Bentos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #132
rgiroux
Invisible Man

Oddometer: 2,156
most definitely

2009 Alaska , 2010 Moab
2011 Calif Dreaming , 2013 Mexico
rgiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #133
Goran69
MNE

Oddometer: 831
Thank you for your time spent in writing this report and making pics for it. Great time spent in reading.
Goran69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #134
Shabbycabby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Thank you for this fantastic report! I`m going to Iceland for a couple of weeks this summer, and now I look even more forward to the trip! Thanks again!
Shabbycabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #135
klrzorn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 825
Awsome report!!! Beautiful scenery, and pictures. Thanks for sharing!
klrzorn is offline   Reply With Quote