Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
wiseblood OP
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,219
Seeking Dakar Expert, in New York City!

Hey Guys --

I'm a member of a moto advocacy group in New York City (NYMSTF.org). Are any of you Dakaristas interested in talking about Dakar 2012 to a group of riders (a lot of ADVers) around January 9, part way through Dakar 2012?

Jan 2011 was the first time I seriously attempted to follow the Dakar, and I was lost in the digital fesh fesh pretty fast. However, the event is just amazing to me. I thought it would make an AWESOME topic of a "workshop" for riders -- especially since the Dakar is almost impossible to follow for anyone who isn't very experienced.

Let me know, ASAP! Reply here, or PM. Did I mention we'll buy all your beer for the night?

I'm also looking for ideas how, in an hour or so, I might cover the first week of the 2012 Dakar for a group who might not know that much about it. So far, my ideas seem to be mostly about playing the daily stage summary videos back-to-back.

Thanks!!

Jesse

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,860
So you are looking to hold a workshop on how to follow it or how to prepare to actually compete?

for following:

The follow thread gets daunting very quickly just through the sheer amount of throughput. Last year I started this topic which was a rough outline of following the timing and scoring.

Aside from that, I'll be doing daily stage write ups to my new blog http://rallyraidreview.tumblr.com which will be similar to the ones I wrote up last year at my old blog http://rallyraidreview.blogspot.com

For prep and actually taking part there are now a number of inmates here that have either done the Dakar or are doing it. Charlie Rauseo is an invaluable resource for prep and equipment. HogWild for training, road book information, as well as the various threads and builds from various participants here.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview

doyle screwed with this post 12-16-2011 at 12:35 PM
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
wiseblood OP
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
So you are looking to hold a workshop on how to follow it or how to prepare to actually compete?

Wow... I was thinking "following" + mid-event coverage.

Preparing to compete... I'm imagining how incredible it would be to actually talk to someone who went through it. I just didn't think that was even possible. (That being said: Maybe next year we can do a fund-raising event for someone who is trying to run in 2013!)

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
Wow... I was thinking "following" + mid-event coverage.

Preparing to compete... I'm imagining how incredible it would be to actually talk to someone who went through it. I just didn't think that was even possible. (That being said: Maybe next year we can do a fund-raising event for someone who is trying to run in 2013!)
Nate (Packmule here) of RallyRaidio.com is up in NH area, intensely knowledgeable on the subject, I'm about 2 hours south of you (outside of Philly) but I'm just an amateur hack with an intense interest, Flood is reporter and information boss extraordinaire, but he hails from exotic lands far to the east.

For competitors, Charlie Rauseo (lastplace here) and his brother did it in 2005. I think Dave is (or was) resides in NH. Another good contact in NYC would be Donald Duck, he's got close contacts with Kemal Merkit who's on his 8th Dakar this year.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
zenjen
Go Outside

Oddometer: 2,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
Aside from that, I'll be doing daily stage write ups to my new blog http://rallyraidreview.tumblr.com which will be similar to the ones I wrote up last year.....
Doyle, Thanks for the link to your new blog. Your daily reports on Dakar 2011 were excellent. Looking forward to more good stuff from you in 2012, both on your blog and on ADVRider.

zenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:22 PM   #6
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Hey, I'm just a transatlantic ticket and a couple of nights in the Waldorf-Astoria away from you! But I might be busy on Jan 9th.

Like Doyle said, his 101 thread should help in getting the basics straight. During the rally, we try to help the not-so-idiotically-hardcore with the cliff notes thread, where we post the most important info. You say you were lost in the digital fesh-fesh pretty fast. Do you have any pointers on how we could make the experience more accessible for the Dakar n00bs?

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:45 PM   #7
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,856
Hope this helps

There is a lad from Atlanta that did the last or next to last African Dakar IIRC, but I forgot his screenname. That would be a shuttle flight easily split by a bunch of enthusiasts. Nate will remember it I'm sure. Fellow from around St. Louis did it too. Unfortunately, most of the competitors are from out West where they get exposure to desert racing. David is still in NH and if you want to contact him, Google property appraisers in the Concord area. I'd contact Jimmy Lewis, he might be interested as he is trying to get a Dakar training program going. It would be a good contact for him to present to the affluent NYC market, he is "J Lewis" on ADV. Jimmy took a third in 2000, the Dakar that went to Egypt. It was interesting......Libya was a problem and the whole rally was airlifted around the planned route in Libya. Which was done because of problems in Mauritania the year before. While the new rally is different in many repsects, Jimmy would give you folks a great perspective. And if anyone is interested in competing, give them a chance to meet him in person and consider his training program. Good luck and have fun with it, it is the greatest event man (and woman) competes in. I was fortunate to follow the rally twice when Neveu and Auriole were in their primes. The rally was not the well oiled machine it is today. True grit.

If you could interest Chris Blais in coming to your soire, that would be cool too. His wife Patty would be the contact here: Gidget.

shrineclown screwed with this post 12-16-2011 at 03:52 PM
shrineclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:53 PM   #8
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
Preparing to compete... I'm imagining how incredible it would be to actually talk to someone who went through it. I just didn't think that was even possible.
Most Dakar competitors are regular people just like you. I think most any of the past moto competitors would probably be happy to talk to a group of ADVers, if they lived in the area (especially if free beer came with the invite). Crew members, or those who raced another cross-country rally could do a pretty good job of describing things too. Unfortunately most of those people are pretty far from NYC. As pointed out, there may be one or two somewhat in that area. I'm sure the message will get through if it's a possibility.

James Embro from Georgia raced twice before, but is racing again this year. Dave Rauseo, Charlie's brother is probably the closest one. The Jimmy Lewis suggestion is a good one.
HogWild is online now   Reply With Quote