Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 06:30 AM   #16
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY

Oddometer: 1,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
So...reviving an old thread here...

Am I able to just throw my jacket, helmet, etc onto the bike and then secure it via cable lock?

I don't want to take my gear with me to the passenger section, but I don't want to stuff my gear in my panniers (I don't have the room).
So long as you rest the items on the seat, I don't see a problem with it. I woudl recommend maybe placing them inside a cheap duffel bag and cable locking that to the bike just in case. Out of sight out of mind
RonkoRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #17
Steve Hunt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
Never ridden the auto train though I think the idea has meritt. Imagine a train that you could load your bike on then, settle into a comfy seat with Mondo Enduro or On any Sunday on the big screen, cold beer on tap and meat on the grill.
This train would run coast to coast in 2 days and if you choose you could off load in Colorado or continue to the Pacific. The cost would be the equivalent of gas money plus beer and your food.

Probably not going to happen in my lifetime.
It could happen after all the existing North South Amtrak looses $millions and millions a year and is propped up at tax payers expense just like the Post Office. So why not add a East West route and spend more money. dont get me wrong as a life long motorcyclist i love your dream but as a tax payer not so much.

I've heard it is very hard to actually get any sleep on the Amtrak, could be dangerous riding the next morning. I know I cant actually sleep on a plane.
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #18
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY

Oddometer: 1,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hunt View Post

I've heard it is very hard to actually get any sleep on the Amtrak, could be dangerous riding the next morning. I know I cant actually sleep on a plane.

It was tough but doable. No worse than sleeping on the ground at a Rally.

Just means you have to drink bar car bourbon until you pass out.
RonkoRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #19
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,661
Quote:
It could happen after all the existing North South Amtrak looses $millions and millions a year and is propped up at tax payers expense just like the Post Office. So why not add a East West route and spend more money. dont get me wrong as a life long motorcyclist i love your dream but as a tax payer not so much.

I don't believe the USPS receives any Federal tax dollars.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #20
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 1,993
Quote:

My experience, it's way better than sleeping on a plane: The seats are larger, you have more leg space, and the rythm of the train is very sleep-inducing. Plus, you can get up and walk around or hit the bathroom at any time.

You should consider taking a travel pillow and a light blanket. When I took the train, pillows were provided, but I was sure glad I brought a light blanket.
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #21
Steve Hunt
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes Shut View Post
My experience, it's way better than sleeping on a plane: The seats are larger, you have more leg space, and the rythm of the train is very sleep-inducing. Plus, you can get up and walk around or hit the bathroom at any time.

You should consider taking a travel pillow and a light blanket. When I took the train, pillows were provided, but I was sure glad I brought a light blanket.
Yep, I'll have to eventually do it for the experience, the idea of loading up in the afternoon and waking up in VA and going riding from there is pretty cool.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #22
Steve Hunt
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
I don't believe the USPS receives any Federal tax dollars.
It has to be funded by tax payers, what other business can loose $57 million /day and remain in business.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1759792.html
Old 02-12-2013, 08:01 AM   #23
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,661
Quote:
It has to be funded by tax payers, what other business can loose $57 million /day and remain in business.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1759792.html
Yeah, that's a good point. On the other hand, it works better than most government run postal systems.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:31 AM   #24
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,662
via google-USPS using tax money was ended in 1983-they do get fave treatment in other ways. Amtrak is basically something that gets eastern corridor people to work from their enclaves in the burbs via tax money?
Riding a train and MC's don't come together for me...
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:50 AM   #25
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
Actually when you live in south FLA, have limited amount of vacation and are traveling 2 up, the train works very well. Its a days to just get out of Florida and than another day back into Homestead. To put it in perspective, for a trip we have planned this summer to New Foundland we plan to use the auto-train, that allows me to leave Homestead Saturday morning and be in Scanton, PA or further Sunday night. 1200-1400 miles ++ , 2 up pretty much overnight. I can do 650-800 mile days on the bike, no problem, but the other half can't........so the train kills a whole bunch of miles and all around makes the ride much more pleasant. Same as taking a ferry on some trips, you just might not have the time to ride around so you take the ferry to compensate.

For east coast travel the train has its place. Especially if you are just trying to get up and down the coast, not all destinations and vacation times allow one to meander through the Smokies.
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:33 AM   #26
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

A "pizza trip" is about as far as my other half wants on the pillion seat. I get your train point. FWIW, I would not personally want to travel far on the tiny seat.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
Old 02-15-2013, 06:54 AM   #27
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:
A "pizza trip" is about as far as my other half wants on the pillion seat. I get your train point. FWIW, I would not personally want to travel far on the tiny seat.
LOL! Mine likes to ride and we have thought about putting her on her bike but she has shiny-thing syndrome too bad!! I have pushed her to just over 500 miles in a day but about 400 is her normal limit, which is still respectable! I have had her seat modified a bit so she stays fairly comfortable.
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #28
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,398
Quote:
Have you ever ridden your motorcycle from Kansas City to Denver?

If so, then you'd understand the desire for an East-West Autotrain.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:02 AM   #29
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

I'm from Kansas & have been out that way a bunch. Find someone else to complain to about the plains, I actually miss them at times. I-70 is OK in a car to cover some ground headed west but on a bike there are better routes such as US36 and the route around Denver to the north. years ago I took a gravel road from CO Springs area(was the new at the time Continental Divide Raceway) far into KS for hours on end. Try some of that If I had to choose a trip across W KS & E CO vs say the North eastern corridor(where half the USA lives in wad between Boston & VA) through lots of traffic & polluted air or LA CA with even worse air(and the other half of the pop of the USA) as compared to the plains with big skies,no traffic that matters,open throttle & clean air and more sunshine days than most places in the USA, I'll take that open road every time unless I'm after twisties in the mtns where I live now.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #30
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI LT Owner View Post
So long as you rest the items on the seat, I don't see a problem with it. I woudl recommend maybe placing them inside a cheap duffel bag and cable locking that to the bike just in case. Out of sight out of mind
Thanks, that was helpful.
I'll store my normal riding gear in a duffel bag that I use for my MX gear.

Potentially stupid question:
Do people just strip down to their street clothes in the loading area?
I mean, where/when do I throw all my gear into the duffel bag?
I plan on having my street clothes underneath.

thorinoakenshield screwed with this post 03-03-2013 at 07:57 PM
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote