Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
gitsum79 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Lonely county roads in southern NM (added and enhanced pics)

My first real trip on my Sym Wolf Classic 150 other than running errands in town or "short recreational rides".

It was a bit cool, about 45-50 degrees. No wind and mostly sunny, very nice!

At one point I drove a 50 mile stretch and only saw one car!

Went from about 4000 ft elevation to 6500 ft, definitely got colder.

Speeds varied from 30 mph to 55 mph. The Wolf is perfect for this kind of riding, it's not completely broken in yet, but the engine is running very strong and really starting to loosen up at about 400 miles.

Maybe next time I come this way I'll climb to the top for lunch.

All good things must come to an end... Until the next ride!

gitsum79 screwed with this post 12-21-2011 at 09:29 AM
gitsum79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
SwampFox883R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
Very scenic country, but you're sure right about it being a lonely. Love the Wolf -- very classic -- beautiful bike.
AN650 Burgman w/Texas Sidecar <Mrs. SwampFox's

SwampFox883R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:34 PM   #3
gregdee
Motocampist

Oddometer: 371
Where?

Sweet ride, yo. Where exactly were you? Is that around the Radium Springs area?
gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:21 PM   #4
gitsum79 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdee View Post
Sweet ride, yo. Where exactly were you? Is that around the Radium Springs area?
I-10 west of the Las Cruces Airport, north on Corralitos Ranch Rd./county Rd. C009. At one point you are probably due west of Radium Springs 20 miles or so, on the other side of the Robledo Mountains.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,303
Just got into T or C about an hour ago, from FL, on the road for 36 hrs. 40Fnow & rain & snow said to be hitting our mountains tomorrow.

That road looks a little like the one from Hillsboros to Silver City, on the east side of the mt range.

Then I read the other postings, I must be getting tired & OLD.

Neat looking scoot. Is it your primary or your just cause you liked it bike?
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:30 AM   #6
gitsum79 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang55 View Post
Is it your primary or your just cause you liked it bike?
Both 3 gallon tank, 85-90 mpg, a lot of possibilities
Old 12-19-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
TurkeyChicken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Nice. I need to make my way down to southern NM. I always seem to head north. The farthest south I've been from ABQ on my motorcycle is the VLA (Very Large Array)
TurkeyChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:27 PM   #8
3 up
Les in LV

Oddometer: 146
Sym

i have a 150 also great little bike changed counter shaft to 17t first is usable now desmogged need to jet it next. What are those little saddle bags you have there? And I like your fly screen.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:19 PM   #9
gitsum79 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 up View Post
i have a 150 also great little bike changed counter shaft to 17t first is usable now desmogged need to jet it next. What are those little saddle bags you have there? And I like your fly screen.

I am running the 17t front sprocket also. Those little bags are really bicycle handle bar bags that I had on a couple of scooters. Held on with velcro straps that are pretty secure. Pretty small, but useful for items like a cell phone, camera,
water bottle, a few tools.

I was looking at all the smog junk too, thinking about removing it. I couldn't identify what all the connections were actually for, so I just left it alone. I did notch the air screw and adjust it from 1 1/4 turns to 2 1/4 turns (4000 ft elevation here). Jetting is right on, but if at sea level going up one size on the pilot jet would be better I think.

You wouldn't happen to have any pics or instructions for desmogging would you? Is that why you are rejetting?

I also modified the air box with a movable flap to open it up more when traveling at higher elevations. It can be reached under the right side cover while in the saddle. Haven't needed it yet, but 6500 feet is the highest I've been.
The Wolf has a round slide carb not a CV, so higher mountain passes will definitely lean it out and cause it to run poorly.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:15 AM   #10
3 up
Les in LV

Removing the smog didn't change the jetting mine is just lean it came from Cali so maybe that's the difference. Desmog is easy but you have to make a block off plate it didn't change the way the bike ran its just cleaner now. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324570502.900286.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  30.5 KB
Old 12-22-2011, 08:16 AM   #11
3 up
Les in LV

The plate Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324570561.769156.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  29.0 KB
Old 12-22-2011, 08:18 AM   #12
3 up
Les in LV

The stuff that came offName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324570683.987525.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  28.9 KB
Old 12-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #13
gitsum79 OP
Adventurer

Wow, that looks great, exactly what I wanted to do.

The pictures help, but I'm still not clear on a couple of things.

Does the gas tank have four lines/opening? A venting tube, the actual petcock/fuel valve, on the left one small line directly to the carb that is part of a Y connection to some of the smog stuff, then one more small line on the right side going to the intake manifold.

Is the gas tank venting tube hooked up to the cannister in front, and if so where does the large tube that goes straight up behind the petcock/fuel valve on the left side and disappears under the fuel tank go? I can see it is connected on the bottom part of the smog junk you removed.

The two small lines going to either side of the intake manifold (accelerator pump lines?) have T connectors going to smog stuff, so those need to be disconnected, right?

Thanks in advance, sorry to have to ask so many questions, just don't want to get in over my head. Maybe I'm just being over cautious and lazy, and when I get in there to remove all that crap it will be clear to see?

When I first got the Wolf removing smog crap was on my list for improvements. Especially now that I see you pics, it really makes things like clean, simple and tight
Old 12-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #14
3 up
Les in LV

Sym

There is a gas tank vent I used a piece of the hose I removed to route it to a new location. There is a vacuume line from the intake manifold to the petcock and a fuel line that's it. You will have to plug the other one in the manifold, the crank case vent is ok where it is there will be one more to plug on the rubber boot to the filter. And then cap off the exaust port, keep track of where the fuel line goes on the petcock the other is vacuume. The whole thing took 20 min it's easy. I routed my gas tank vent to the down tube on the frame so it doesn't drip on the header. By the way our tanks are 2.2 gal not 3 like the book says, I ran out at 170mi thought I had 85 mi to go bummer
Old 12-22-2011, 07:12 PM   #15
gitsum79 OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the help 3 up, apparently I need it.

If you used a different piece of hose to reroute the gas tank vent line, then you plugged up the line coming out of the carb just above where the choke lever is? Because unless I'm totally confused (possible), that's where the stock gas tank vent line ended up.

Since you removed the smog part it was attached to, did you plug up the big line exiting between the air box and the carb?

I put it back together but got something wrong, it starts but won't hold an idle and runs crappy and won't run partial throttle at all. I didn't remove the smog crap the air box line was hooked up to and kept the routing of the vent line to the carb. Now the last smog crap is gone, the air box/intake line is plugged and the line to the carb at the choke lever is plugged. Gonna put it back together and give it a try, I just hope I get it right this time.