User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2011, 03:37 PM   #16
ADVCoot
Wandering around

Oddometer: 328
Williams Hill in IL

Not intending to hijack your Ride Report...just add to it. Several years ago, the 'Ol Big Dog hisself turned me on to it. Camping out at Cave-In-Rock campground, I spent three days touring southern IL back roads. Quite a treat. Looking forward to riding it again.

Thanks for your ride report and photos.
Attached Images

"One of the things that make motorcycling so great is because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." Steve McQueen
ADVCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:38 PM   #17
jonny cash OP
LEGEND

Oddometer: 335
This is a shot looking back towards Harrisburg from Oak Rd almost to state route 145. On a clear day you can see the coal silo's at my old place of work, Kerr Mcgee Coal. That is almost 18 miles away. Thew cows gave me the thumbs up on the 950.
Attached Images

jonny cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:42 PM   #18
jonny cash OP
LEGEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVCoot View Post
Not intending to hijack your Ride Report...just add to it. Several years ago, the 'Ol Big Dog hisself turned me on to it. Camping out at Cave-In-Rock campground, I spent three days touring southern IL back roads. Quite a treat. Looking forward to riding it again.

Thanks for your ride report and photos.
Wiiliams Hill was where i took the shot of my gps. I have lived here most of my life, and Bigdog showed me places I had not been right in my own backyard.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:45 PM   #19
jonny cash OP
LEGEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by KankakeeBenjamin View Post
Just got back from hunting in Shawnee National Forest in southern Illinois. My buddy and I rode down there with all of our gear loaded on our bikes. We hunted right by the Dutton chapel and one horse gap lake I think it's called. I was on my BMW GSA which went through the puddles fine, but my buddy rode his Harley full dresser which didn't do as well. Great riding down there all the same. Thanks for the pictures it brought back great memories. This puddle was one of the biggest, I was able to make it through just fine on my bike, but the Harley had to ride up on the shoulders and still struggled...
If I am not mistaken, I think I saw you guys at KFC in Harrisburg. I was on the clock and couldn't stop, but I remember seeing a GSA and and a 'Glide loaded down.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:49 PM   #20
jonny cash OP
LEGEND

This Jenny Ridge Rd, not far from my house. When I was young, you were the MAN if you could climb this. Not much of a challenge as this is a county maintained road now, but sure was tough back in the day.
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2011, 03:55 PM   #21
jonny cash OP
LEGEND

This is maybe a preview of my next daytrippin' report. The other thing southern Illinois is known for is coal mining, and there is lots of good riding on some of these old unreclaimed strip mines. This is a pic of one of the old strip mines pits here in saline county, it's called Blue Hole.
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2011, 04:07 PM   #22
KankakeeBenjamin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny cash View Post
If I am not mistaken, I think I saw you guys at KFC in Harrisburg. I was on the clock and couldn't stop, but I remember seeing a GSA and and a 'Glide loaded down.
yup that was us. We rode there for lunch and brought some dinner home. We had such a hard time getting the Harley out of our camp due to the puddles that we only left camp that one time. Great ridding down there for sure. Love the pictures too
Old 12-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #23
jonny cash OP
LEGEND

I got enjoy a nice late fall day riding and reminiscing about some of my favorite riding spots as a youth. I was thinking how lucky I was that my dad had shared his passion for two wheels with me, and how I had turned that passion into almost an obsession. In the last couple years, my wife and I have embarked upon a new all-time consuming obsession, dog breeding and showing. It has really cut into my riding obsession, and I made a promise to myself today to try and strike a better balance next year. It seems I have always had some type of obsession, and not always healthy ones. Riding has always been the constant. In my youth it was trail riding, as a teen that turned to street bikes and the outlaw biker scene. I was into choppers before they got cool again. I was lucky to have come out of that part of my life. As I was getting close to the house today, this was all going through my mind, and I was thinking how fortunate I was. About a mile from the house I was coming up on the guy is this pic. As i passed I realized I knew this guy, so I wheeled around. This was my one my old buddies from back in my chopper days, RD. RD quit riding back in 2000 after getting run over at daytona. This was about the same time i figured out that I wanted to do a different type riding, and got my first GS. I stopped and we spoke about how we used to live, and we both agreed we were better off today. It was good to see my old friend. Not sure I would still be here if I hadn't got away from that lifestyle, Rd agreed.
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2011, 04:19 PM   #24
jonny cash OP
LEGEND

Home safe and sound! Thanks for following along. Next time I'll make sure I get Craiger to go, he takes much better pics. He just seems to have an eye for it. Oh yeah, the Renazco rocks, as does that 45 tooth rear sprocket. Time to feed the dogs and clean up the 950
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2011, 06:18 PM   #25
dogmoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Sjawnee

This spring Im going to make a trip down there and make a weekend trip of it thanks for the report, and pictures.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #26
jonny cash OP
LEGEND

I had a couple more pics that I missed yesterday. This is one from the Oak Blanchard area where the FS has closed the trail to anything but foot traffic.
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2011, 01:59 PM   #27
jonny cash OP
LEGEND

just a day earlier after the rain, you could see that this creek had been a few feet higher
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2011, 02:06 PM   #28
jonny cash OP
LEGEND

this creek runs next wamble mtn road for a couple miles, crossing over a few times
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2011, 02:12 PM   #29
dan49
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Brings back memories for me too mr cash. I live in Carterville and years ago my brother and I rode alot in the Shawnee and the strip pits. You could ride just about anywhere back then. Also bought a PE175 around 1980. We used to start around Tunnel Hill and ride to Eddyville to some general store and a lady would fix us sandwiches at the meat counter, turn around and ride back. Took a full day. Those days are long gone, I ride mainly on the street now, the off road park by Marion is about all we have now and it can get old after awhile.
dan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:15 PM   #30
jonny cash OP
LEGEND

more proof of hills in Illinois
Attached Images