User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2011, 06:02 AM   #1
johnlt OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Heidenau K60 vs Mefo Super Explorer

I tried to get K60s for my KTM 690 and they were back ordered so I got a pair of Mefo Super Explorer based on the recommendation of SWMototire. I have over 4K on them now and they are not even half worn. In comparing the tread pattern of the tires, they are not just similar, they appear to be identical. Does anyone know the story. Are they the same tire or just a clone. 4K and only half worn is pretty good.
1975 BMW R75/6
Yamaha WR250R
johnlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:06 AM   #2
bones_708
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Same factory but different tires. The treads may look similar but they are not the same and the K60's have a greater thread depth and a much thicker sidewall. Supposedly the K60's are made from a "superior" compound, whatever that means and has less problems with cupping the front tire than the Mefo's.
bones_708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:15 AM   #3
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,334
Sounds like one lable maybe for the heavier bike.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
Jaqen H'ghar
Valar Morgoulis

Oddometer: 199
Heidenau K60

My rear K60 started showing small cracks in the base of the tire after 3300 miles last summer, I was disappointed that I had to go through a big hassle to replace it at cost to me that was totally unnecessary since it only looked half worn out. I have pic's I can email if anybody's interested. Num

2014 R1200 RT
Jaqen H'ghar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
edteamslr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numnuts View Post
My rear K60 started showing small cracks in the base of the tire after 3300 miles last summer, I was disappointed that I had to go through a big hassle to replace it at cost to me that was totally unnecessary since it only looked half worn out. I have pic's I can email if anybody's interested. Num
You didn't share a pic but I've seen more than one pair that have cracked around the tread and it didn't stop the tyres going on to more than10,000 miles. Ymmv, I suppose ;)
edteamslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:40 AM   #6
Endurodude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
My front Pirelli Scorpion trail tyre did the same thing; just seems to be a feature of some tyres - still works perfectly well!

Regarding the Mefo Super Explorers - they seem very similar to the old K60. The 'new' K60 Scout has a ridge down the middle that some here appear to find less than effective in the wet. Having never used any of these tyres, would this be a fair assessment?
Endurodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:02 AM   #7
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 1,000
Same tires with a different name.

Keep in mind the the K-60 has 3 different thread patterns. The orginal which only has blocks, a revised one with a small connector between the middle blocks and the 150/70 that has a solid continuous piece down the middle.
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #8
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,053
My 19" front Heide K60 on my Weestrom has now gone over 12k and still has a bit less than half tread left.
I had a Mefo Explorer installed previously and removed to install the K60. The Mefo went 9k to the wear bars. I usually replace tires @ the wear bars, most of my buddies run the tread all the way off before replacing.
These two tires seem identical, until a rider uses them, then the Heide's rise to the occasion as the better product. They wear better, and at least on the front tire for me, the K60 seems to perform better.
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #9
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by bones_708 View Post
...Supposedly the K60's are made from a "superior" compound, whatever that means and has less problems with cupping the front tire than the Mefo's.

If someone is willing to look for it, I'm pretty sure there is a post, on this site, that states that the Heidis meet some kinda' higher Euro spec. (Military standard, maybe?) than the Mefos.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #10
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,321
Is there a Heidenau K60 Scout thread? I swear I've seen one but now i can't find it. Anyone have the link? If not maybe I'll start one.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #11
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,805
Mefo explorer for my DR350

I just put a explorer on the rear of the DR and gonna put one in the front soon,I don't have to many miles on the tire yet but it works great in the rocks,dirt,roots,and in the snow the other day up a dirt road it ripped on till the hill got to steep,I like the way it feels so far on the street also.Previous tire was a Kenda 270.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote