Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2012, 03:03 AM   #61
Harti OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Take The Wrong Way Home

Hi everyone,

I have a technical question. Is it possible to make the newest and latest post appear first? I think it attracts more readers when they see the latest post right on top of the thread instead of scrolling always to the end...

And how come that my first page of the thread is way shorter than page 4, which is extremely long already?

Thanks for helping,

Harti
Harti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:45 AM   #62
New Mexico Boondocker
Chasing snow

Oddometer: 62
Harti,

Individual users control how threads appear via their user control panel. The default setting is "oldest posts" first but you can change it to show the newest posts first. I do not believe there is a way for you to make that change universal for all thread viewers.

Regarding your last question, I believe that pages are limited to 15 posts per page. Page 4 has many more photos per post than page 1, which affects the total page length.

Best regards,

Tim
New Mexico Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #63
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 4,020
Nice legs, her's not yours Hands, not so nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harti View Post

Old 01-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #64
Harti OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Take The Wrong Way Home

Mongolia Between Beauty and Beast

Uwe repacking for the third time today...

What were the objectives here? We simply wanted to make it safe through Mongolia. But the second part got worse and more challenging than anything I had been through so far.

So we had to deal with the usual suspects: rocks, sandy tight passages, a lot of dust, very flat terrain to lure you in to speeding and of course the nerve wrecking corrugation. I had to bury the first victims: my little Nikon went south, the tire fit can got punctured and glued everything in the right saddlebag together and a tin with smelly Russian fish leaked and almost ruined my replacement camera.

when you meet someone, you always stop and chat...

The worst though was, that Uwe's rear break cylinder failed. That is not only annoying, it's highly dangerous, because if you have to stop your bike only with the front break and most of the weight lies on your rear wheel, that's a recipe for disaster...

In Altai we got involved for the only time on the entire trip tn a attempted robbery. A drunk tried to snatch Uwe's camera at knife point, but some sidesteps from us and a honking car scared him off.

we were completely covered in mud...

my little picture book made a conversation very easy...

At night we stayed in a lousy hotel, that doesn't deserve the name "hotel". No water, no restroom, no bathroom. A lady ladled dirty water from the street...

no damage done...

Things got worse today. Rain shifted the pistes from a somewhat firm underground into a slippery surface with no traction at all. When dry, we had to conquer the massive amounts of dust. The corrugation allows two driving styles: very slow, so that you drive out the up's and down's, which gets you nowhere unless you have tons of time, or you turn the throttle and fly over the tips, which leaves you with less control in case of a ditch or a sandy patch...

lunch break in the sun...

Whatever. Uwe crashed.

It's useless to fathom what exactly had happened... the shock is immense. Uwe broke his collarbone several times, he suffered also from 3 broken ribs and a heavy concussion.

And it was on me to organize a rescue mission. I found a truck to transport Uwe and his bike to Khvod, the next town with a hospital, a hotel and an airport.

we payed 300$ for the lift...

We managed to get his shoulder x-rayed, we found a hotel, where we could store Uwe's bike for several weeks and next to the hotel was a travel agency where we purchased a ticket to Ulaanbaatar for the next day. Time was crucial. Uwe's health status was poor and he was under permanent pain. Uwe was is a plane to the capital 22 h after the accident, which is really good under the circumstances.

I stored the bike behind the hotel...

I also had to pay a huge price by his crash. I was alone again. The unthinkable happened. I had to cross the most difficult part of Mongolia alone, and that's no fun. What if...? I had to cross 10 rivers with a water level of more than 50 cm's. What if I had dropped the bike? Who was going to rescue me in case of emergency?

Uwe was in bad shape when he left for the airport. His well planned trip to Mongolia lasted only 10 days.

Read tomorrow, what happened after this horrific disaster.

Please note: I have Uwe's permission to show the pics of his crash and I had my camera hanging around my neck, so taking photos of the scene didn't delay my rescue effort...

Harti
Old 01-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #65
Harti OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Take The Wrong Way Home

... what's wrong with my legs? My wife loves 'em...

Harti
Old 01-11-2012, 04:01 PM   #66
Xdream
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Hey Harti!

What an adventure! Very exciting. Love to read your RR. Don´t like to read about crashes. Hope Uwe is fine again.

Your pictures are great. keep it coming.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #67
newride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Heal up Uwe!

My moto blog: http://jbloggie1.blogspot.com/
newride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #68
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 4,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harti View Post
... what's wrong with my legs? My wife loves 'em...

Harti
she's a keeper

Continues to be a great report Harti, you kind of slipped major drama in on us in a very low key way, eagerly waiting for the next chapter, hope it's good news about Uwe.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:53 AM   #69
Harti OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Take The Wrong Way Home

Uwe is fine. He flew back to Germany, had surgery and recovered fully. His bike stayed for 2 months in that parking lot, before a shipping company shipped it via China back to Germany. Uwe's self esteem has got a major crack though. A few years back his bike broke on a trip from Germany to South Africa in Egypt. A year later we met in South America, and except for a few times, when he dropped his bike, everything was good. After this accident he decided to change his means of transportation. He keeps saying: 2 out of 3 unsuccessful...

I should have explained more that we had to thank also a lot of locals in Mongolia, who helped us getting everything done in such a professional way. We met a doctor in our hotel, who told us where the airline office was, our drivers in the van brought Uwe to a hotel right next to a hospital. We didn't even asked for that, but they helped us anyway. And the lady, who conducted the x-ray was home already and came back for us... And the hotel janitor let us park the bike at the hotel... the list goes on and on...

Harti
Old 01-12-2012, 01:47 AM   #70
Christian RA40XT
Don't Panic!

Oddometer: 120
Wow thats an exciting RR . What a desaster with Uwe. So now I am very excited and looking forward to your report!

Subscribed....

Greetings from Bochum ;-)

Christian
Christian RA40XT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:12 AM   #71
Skopelos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Thumb

Very bad what happened to Uwe. This is the worst thing that can happen to a motorist. Hope he will change his mind and dont give up motorcycles.

Your photos and tour are great, hope you dont have any other bad moments. Thanks for sharing!

I noticed something:

How can a shop in Korea have a greek word in its label?

The word ΚΑΦΕ means Coffee (and brown colour) in greek and it is not similar in any other language... (for russian its кофе)...
http://suzukidr250s.123.st
Skopelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:38 AM   #72
Harti OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Take The Wrong Way Home

Hi Skopelos,

this is indeed Russian. Here is another example of how Koreans comfort Russian tourists in Donghae.

They promote Karaoke...;-) with Whisky and Vodka...

Harti
Old 01-12-2012, 03:43 AM   #73
Kostopraff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113

How can a shop in Korea have a greek word in its label?

The word ΚΑΦΕ means Coffee (and brown colour) in greek and it is not similar in any other language... (for russian its кофе)... [/QUOTE]

It's russian caffe, written in the Cyrillic alphabet
Old 01-12-2012, 04:02 AM   #74
Skopelos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Thumb

Thank you for the explanation! It makes sense now! (we also write karaoke "καραοκε"!)
http://suzukidr250s.123.st
Skopelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:17 AM   #75
andyhol
volcano rider

Oddometer: 152
Really cool, thanks for bringing us along