User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2009, 12:55 PM   #376
HPMGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Six adapters remain....

Just a heads up to those following this thread, I am down to 6 remaining kits, if you are thinking about doing this conversion in the future, you might want to grab one now as I will not be making any more when these are gone.
HPMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:48 AM   #377
TimTowtdi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
I'll Take ONE

put me down for one. ...er make that two, one for me and one for my brother.

TimTowtdi screwed with this post 01-10-2009 at 11:03 AM
TimTowtdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:07 PM   #378
Tripletreat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
tokico 6-pot upgrade

I just finished (sort of) the upgrade of my 1988 R100GS' front brake. Thanks to Guy's top-drawer kit, it was an upgrade that I could afford and carry out myself. As has been reported by others on this thread, I'm having an "interesting" time bleeding the bleedin' caliper! I've used the conventional method - pumping the lever while closing/opening the bleed screw on the caliper. I've used my Mity-Vac to draw brake fluid through the system which maintaining the caliper in a more less vertical position. After days of this, at last the system is to the point where the lever does not travel back as far as the grip. Small joy there....
I've decided to leave it as is until I bring the Bumble Bee out of winter storage. Here's a question for pioneers who are further down this road than I am: Is it actually necessary to change out the caliper pads when they are going to be biting new/different rotors? A respected dealer of classic braking bits and bobs is very adament that this should be done. Absent contamination of the pads with hydraulic oil or grease, I can't see why that would be necessary. Okay, I'll admit it, I'm a cheap SOB, but aside from that, is there a genuine reason why I should pop for new pads if the ones that came with the used calipers seem fine?
Tripletreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:13 PM   #379
jimbee
Airhead Intermediate

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO
Well, the caliper and the BMW bits should all be 10mm.....
Is it okay to modify (read: BEND ) the stock hose to line up with the new caliper? Cheers! JB
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:00 PM   #380
Tripletreat
Studly Adventurer

bending "rigid" brake line

I kept the old SS braided line but bought a new rigid line that is a bit longer. It's virtually impossible to bend that line in the perfect shape at the point of production if the bike isn't there. I used a heavy gauge wire and approximated the length and shape needed and then took that to the shop that formed the line. Back at the bike fitting it all up I had to bend the new "rigid" line a fair bit to get it all lined up right. No problem. I was afraid I'd need a mandrel to keep it from collapsing, but it turned out fine without one. The line I bought is very malleable.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:59 PM   #381
johno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,912
I am using the pads that came with my 6pot, and have a spare set in the other caliper(got a pair) They were good metalic ones, and so far work well. Have done around 5,000ks so far with them.

Bleeding is a bitch , but keep at it, it will all come right.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:25 PM   #382
jimbee
Airhead Intermediate

Thanks Tripletreat! I think I'll mount everything up and trailer the bike to a brake shop and get them to do it there. Cheers!
Old 01-14-2009, 04:24 PM   #383
jimbee
Airhead Intermediate

rebuild caliper?

Hello all! OK - decided to work on mounting the Nissin up this afternoon and thought I would start with a good cleaning. In doing so, I noticed the both the pistons on one side required considerably more force to compress than the two on the other side. Whereas the two pistons on the "good" side can be pushed smoothly back into the caliper with nice even resistance, the two pistons on the "bad" side require maybe 50% more force and then once they start to go they slam back into the caliper. Is this just me finding something else to worry about or is this a good sign to rebuild the caliper? Is this hard to do? Thank you! JB
Old 01-15-2009, 09:12 AM   #384
Tripletreat
Studly Adventurer

piston travel

Are you experiencing this when the system is all put together or are you talking about what the pistons are doing when you have the caliper on the bench? It could be that some are dry and some have brake fluid in the bores. I assume you bought the calipers used. If you find the piston movement problematic when the calipers are plumbed and filled with brake fluid, I'd certainly open them up to see what is going on. It could be that just a cleaning and fresh fluid would would cure the problem. Do remember, however, that cutting corners on something as important as a brake system could be a fool's bet.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:39 AM   #385
jimbee
Airhead Intermediate

I am experiencing these symptoms on the bench after removing, cleaning, and applying fresh bake fluid to each puck. Tripletreat is right - no cutting corners. Ordered new piston seals for the caliper and going to learn how to rebuild it. I like learning and anyway it is probably best to know how it works for when I have to fix it roadside one day in the future.... JB
Old 01-15-2009, 10:36 PM   #386
bereahorn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPMGuy
Just a heads up to those following this thread, I am down to 6 remaining kits, if you are thinking about doing this conversion in the future, you might want to grab one now as I will not be making any more when these are gone.
I'll take one also. Please PM me with payment details. Thanks.John
bereahorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:46 AM   #387
HPMGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
The last kit is spoken for, hopefully the majority of interested AdvRiders were able to get their hands on one.

Very cool to see all of these conversions coming together!
HPMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:22 AM   #388
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,349
Does anyone make a longer than stock stainless line for the R100GS that gets rid of the rigid steel section of line? If that'd be a custom deal, does anyone have a length for theirs so I can order one? I'm piecing together a r100gs front end, but don't have all the pieces necessary to take the measurement myself. Thanks.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:26 AM   #389
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler
Does anyone make a longer than stock stainless line for the R100GS that gets rid of the rigid steel section of line? If that'd be a custom deal, does anyone have a length for theirs so I can order one? I'm piecing together a r100gs front end, but don't have all the pieces necessary to take the measurement myself. Thanks.
It's all in this thread... I believe mine was 46" and that was 2-3 too long... cal cyclebrakes.com and tell them the legnth you need, both ends are 10mm and I liked the 45 or 90 degree bend on the master cylinder end to clear the handguards.... something like $60 IIRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:59 PM   #390
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer: 4,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee
Ordered new piston seals for the caliper and going to learn how to rebuild it.

This is for the Nissin 4-pot caliper, right? Please let us know where you got your rebuild kit and for how much. A link would be great.
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
opposedcyljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote