Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2007, 11:37 AM   #76
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,002
I'm interested to see if you like the 6 or the 4 piston more... in my racing circle a few years ago we found we actually got better front brake power and feel from the 4 pot nissan on a friends CBR929 than I could get on my 6 pot GSXR1000 brakes..

The logic was along the lines that with equivalent hydraulic force you are spreading your pressure out 33 percent more on the GSXR1000 brakes so they in fact weren't as sensitive and didn't have as good a feel as the 929's. In fact some guys racing the big gixxer converted them over to 4 pots.

Both setups with steal lines, sintered brake pads etc. .. but I'm sure with the right hydraulic ratios of master cylinders to piston, etc the six could do better.

Mind you with these bikes we were talking about the difference between 2 fingered vs. 3 finger rolling stoppies at 80 mph

Rumor has it the real hot setup now is the 4 pot calipers with 4 individual pads. You get four bite surfaces instead of two, each pad has its own direct piston, and a gap to clean the dust between pistons

Anything's gotta be better than the block of wood my R90 has up front
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:04 PM   #77
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO
Dude, get with the program and read the first few posts...
Sorry... just too many irons in the fire and I didn't look before I typed. I think stagehand and I are related. toooo fast with the submit button.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:04 PM   #78
lesman
Live easy, Brake Hard

Oddometer: 488
6 Piston Tokico's

I was in a bike shop when I saw a 2005 1200 Bandit. It had twin 6 piston Tokico's. I saw a Hayabusa it had 6 piston Tokico's. Since it appears I got the shaft because I paid high $70 to high $80's for my 2 calipers.
Can we all just get along and end this madness of who has the most piston's in our caliper? FYI if you look at the line on the rotor it(Tokico) definitely has more pad surface than the 4 Piston Brembo. Once again thanks Solo, John the New Zealand guy and Scot Marburger.

Les
lesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:25 PM   #79
Zebedee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesman
... Can we ... end this madness
No way Les ... this is far too much like fun

I know of at least one other Kiwi who's considering this upgrade ... all I need to do now is to buy up New Zealand's surplus stock of left hand Tokico six pot callipers and I'll be one step closer to my plan for world domination.

Thanks for all the info Guy's

John the pom, in Kiwi land
aka the spring driven thing
Old 11-16-2007, 07:03 PM   #80
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Quote:
Can we all just get along and end this madness of who has the most piston's in our caliper?

Les
You should go drum brakes man. It's the only way to go.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:35 PM   #81
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,002
My GSXR1000 brakes are the exact same as the 6 piston Haybusa's Tokico's. They were NOT as good as as my CBR race bike's 4 piston brakes were. My R1's brakes fell somewhere in between.

"More brake pad" doesn't mean squat if you don't have the proper hydraulic pressure and feel. If you go bigger on your brake pad without increasing your hydraulic leverage you have LESS braking power due to your psi being distributed over a larger surface area.

What are you guys doing for mastercylinder replacement to match the calipers?

I'm not trying to disagree with anyone here; I need a solution for my R90 and definitely look forward to your experience(s). I'm just mentioning that "bigger isn't always better" when it comes to brakes - which I found out the hard way spending a lot of money on galfer wave rotors, ceramic pads, different diameter lines, etc for a 6 piston system that never came up to par on the stock (+ steel lines) 4 system system on my other bike(s).

p.s. another thing I learned was that I warped my rotors faster with the 6 pistons than the 4 pistons. Dunno why but I'd guess it to do with a larger heat gain with all that contact area?

...that said.. my gixxer's brakes sure were pretty....

Here.. see if you can find the brakes in this photo of it

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:36 AM   #82
lesman
Live easy, Brake Hard

Bigger is better because you have 6 piston envy

Stock 2 piston Brembo = My wife's next husband gets my tools because I'm dead.
4 Piston Brembo = I can lead a normal life and perhaps enjoy a little adventure
6 Piston Tokico= I can press my luck ,possible ruin my retirement plans, enjoy adventure and my wife's next husband get my tools because I'm dead.
The choice is pretty clear.
I have enough parts to go to a dual caliper setup....don't make me do it.
Stop the madness
I didn't change my Master Cylinder. I bought a new one. I was leaving for a 3 or 4 day trip and mine started to leak bad. I was running DOT5 and switched back to DOT4. I like DOT 5 but there is a big difference in the feel of the brake lever and stopping. I think there is a 5-10 % increase in braking.A new MC arrived a few days faster than a kit. I haven't looked at MC /caliper ratio chart to see if I could spend anymore money on my brake tragedy. Has any one gone the 320mm rotor route? Can someone explain what could be expected in better braking? The brake upgrade was just hoot to do with all it's permutations. I enjoy doing the upgrades to my GS. Your GSXR came with incredible brakes, 300 to 400 % more hp, fuel injection and a real charging system...incremental increases are costly and underwhelming. My bike stops on a dime with 3 cents change, has great lights and handles like a finely tuned Greyhound bus...I am a happy crack whore.
If the R90 has dual calipers go the 4 piston Brembo route if you are trying to maintain a stock appearance. You will be pleased. I powdercoated my brembo (don't forget the clearcoat on the raised brembo letters) and it's just beautiful The Japanese caliper is just an excellent alternative. I want to point out that I weigh 230+ with gear.
Stock MC's can be bored out , SS sleave installed and I think bigger piston installed.It allows you to use stock switch gear. I think it's pricey $350+

When my bike stops good enough to warp the rotor...I'll wear a thong.

By the way her thumb is on the brakes..right?

Les

lesman screwed with this post 11-17-2007 at 10:06 AM
Old 11-17-2007, 08:21 AM   #83
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Quote:
My bike stops on dime with 3 cents change, has great lights and handles like a finely tuned Greyhound bus...I am a happy crack whore.

Les

I think Mugwest has some literary competition now.

That's a quotable quote if ever I saw one.

By the way, will you guys shut up already about the 4-piston being the "just right" setup? I'm trying to get Solo Lobo to slap that 6-piston on there and send me his 4-piston and you guys are gonna screw it all up.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:23 AM   #84
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,564
Man, I love this thread!!!.....

My wife just doesn't understand this adventure rider thing, her loss I guess

Oh, and I have a nice, new, black 46" ss line coming along with the SIX PISTON caliper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.

SOLO LOBO screwed with this post 03-04-2008 at 10:10 AM
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:17 AM   #85
lesman
Live easy, Brake Hard

I left the "a" off

Thanks for using my quote. Please add the "a" to stops on a dime part of the quote. This happy crack whore needs an editor. Here's a quote I stole. A guy in the Houston Euroriders drives up on a 1999 1100R. It's just beautiful. I tell him I thought the Mystic was most beautiful naked bike until I saw his bike. He says"I love my naked bikes with big jugs" This is the reason I love my GS...it's got big jugs and 6 piston brakes.

Solo: Where and How much did you pay for your line? I use Spiegler. Custom length, angle of the banjo or not etc. $59.00. They are very nice and aren't judgemental.

Les
Old 11-17-2007, 12:05 PM   #86
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,564
Quote:
Solo: Where and How much did you pay for your line? I use Spiegler. Custom length, angle of the banjo or not etc. $59.00. They are very nice and aren't judgemental.

Les
hahahahahahaahahahahahahaah..... LOVE your avitar! hahahahahahahah

My line is an ebay special... $15.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 12:40 PM   #87
lesman
Live easy, Brake Hard

Other adaptor uses

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=285146&page=2

These bikes are crying for 4 piston Brembo's or 4 piston Nissin's or 6 piston Tokico's

Solo, this is your niche.

Les
Old 11-17-2007, 01:36 PM   #88
lesman
Live easy, Brake Hard

Ducati brackets that may fit a Beemer

Checkout this link:
http://www.bevelheaven.com/productinfo.html brackets, master cylinder; new calipers and brake light switches.
Just options

Les
Old 11-17-2007, 03:26 PM   #89
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,880
Quote:
Please add the "a" to stops on a dime part of the quote. This happy crack whore needs an editor. Les
Les - go back to the post where you wrote that and hit the edit button at the bottom. That will allow you to change the posting.
Wirespokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 04:14 PM   #90
lesman
Live easy, Brake Hard

I am an editing Crack Whore

It be done.

Les