Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #271
ignatz72 OP
call me iggy

Oddometer: 626
I guess the inmate was Robert/wirewrkr? Didn't know he sold reflective stickers back when.

But I would caution against NAPA/Autozone/O'Reilly's/etc. so-called LED flashers. I bought two different ones to try on my XRL and neither worked properly with 4 LED bulbs. So the time and gas and cost of that, I'd have been better off getting one from SBLEDS to start with. I did get an SBLEDS.com flasher for my Honda Civic when I tricked it out with LEDs and it worked great. Not exactly apples to apples, but I would order from SBLEDS and wait a few days just to save the hassle since I trust them as a pure LED oriented business that knows what's what!
ignatz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:18 AM   #272
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatz72 View Post
I guess the inmate was Robert/wirewrkr? Didn't know he sold reflective stickers back when.

But I would caution against NAPA/Autozone/O'Reilly's/etc. so-called LED flashers. I bought two different ones to try on my XRL and neither worked properly with 4 LED bulbs. So the time and gas and cost of that, I'd have been better off getting one from SBLEDS to start with. I did get an SBLEDS.com flasher for my Honda Civic when I tricked it out with LEDs and it worked great. Not exactly apples to apples, but I would order from SBLEDS and wait a few days just to save the hassle since I trust them as a pure LED oriented business that knows what's what!
Will do.....no it wasn't robert who sold the decal kit. Guys name was Tom and he owned a sign co.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:13 AM   #273
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
This guy. It's a bummer that there is no way to really mount them without zip ties. I tried using cpvc as a form to pour epoxy in with a bolt sticking out. Then I put another 2 part epoxy around the base.....and it lasted about 5 mins with me off road.

[snip]
Ah, a 24-series Rectangular lamp module. Good product.

Mounting? I may be able to help. These are my conspicuity lights-- DRLs, Daytime Running Lights-- on the front oif my /5. 60-series oval modules, of the same heritage, mounted to the crash bars. A plate if 3/16" aluminum, cut to fit, with a trio of M6 studs Loctited and staked to the back of the plate, attaching to the crash bar with rubber-lined clamps. The plates are attached to the lamp modules with 3M Weatherstrip adhesive. Now admittedly, I'm an old guy bouncing a touring bike along bad Walker County backroads, but after 4 years the mount has shown no signs of failure. YMMV.

Turnsignal flasher? My /5 uses a Buss 536. A two-terminal, "heavy-duty" mechanical flasher that is not load-dependent and works with LEDs. You'll need a 3-pin, but this is the type of flasher you'll need.

--Bill
Old 04-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #274
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,050
Thanks Bill! I have a feeling I would have destroyed that mount the day I went riding. I don't always ride such rough roads, but I do! I'll proabably stick with my zip ties since I can easily fix and move the tail/brake light. This is the flasher relay I bought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Ah, a 24-series Rectangular lamp module. Good product.

Mounting? I may be able to help. These are my conspicuity lights-- DRLs, Daytime Running Lights-- on the front oif my /5. 60-series oval modules, of the same heritage, mounted to the crash bars. A plate if 3/16" aluminum, cut to fit, with a trio of M6 studs Loctited and staked to the back of the plate, attaching to the crash bar with rubber-lined clamps. The plates are attached to the lamp modules with 3M Weatherstrip adhesive. Now admittedly, I'm an old guy bouncing a touring bike along bad Walker County backroads, but after 4 years the mount has shown no signs of failure. YMMV.

Turnsignal flasher? My /5 uses a Buss 536. A two-terminal, "heavy-duty" mechanical flasher that is not load-dependent and works with LEDs. You'll need a 3-pin, but this is the type of flasher you'll need.

--Bill
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #275
globalt38
Swimmin W/Waterwings

Oddometer: 575
94 R100GSPD LED Turn signal Question

Ok - I don't remember seeing this question or info here when I read thru them to catch up - but if I missed it I apologize.

I'm planning on putting LED turn signals on my 94 R100GSPD - Apparently - after 91 they changed to this monstrous turn signal relay instead of the previous simpler ones.

Bottom connector to the "Flasher Unit"

So - is there an electronic non-load relay to replace this (or do I need one?). If not, what do I do instead? Below are couple of pics of the wiring diagram for ref. and I also identified what the wires from/too the "unit" go to/come from.

TR (Blue/Yellow) --> Right Hand Indicator switch (BR-31)
TA (Brown/White) --> Right Hand Indicator Switch (TA)
30A3 (Red/White) --> Fuse Box (F3) --> Battery
15A4 (Green/Brown) --> Fuse Box (F4) --> Headlamp Dip Switch & --> Load Shedding Relay (87)
TL (Blue/Brown) --> Left Hand Indicator Switch
R (Blue/Black) --> Right Hand Indicators
L (Blue/Red) --> Left Hand Indicators
31 (Brown) --> Ground (of course)
WB (Yellow/Violet) & C (Blue/White) --> Hazard Flash switch (Don't have)

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Mark

"If you want to be happy for a Day, Drink. If you want to be happy for a Year, Marry. If you want to be happy for a lifetime, Ride a BMW!"
You can have my Airhead when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!
globalt38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #276
Sabre170
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
No clue if a specific LED relay exists in that config. A load resistor wired in parallel with the LED's should allow you to use the stock relay if an LED specific relay in your model doesn't exist. A load resistor in parallel does eliminate the "low power draw" advantage of the LED though. It will make your bike think there is a normal bulb there.
Sabre170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:02 AM   #277
globalt38
Swimmin W/Waterwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre170 View Post
No clue if a specific LED relay exists in that config. A load resistor wired in parallel with the LED's should allow you to use the stock relay if an LED specific relay in your model doesn't exist. A load resistor in parallel does eliminate the "low power draw" advantage of the LED though. It will make your bike think there is a normal bulb there.
Yep... - was hoping though that there might be a way besides resistors...

"If you want to be happy for a Day, Drink. If you want to be happy for a Year, Marry. If you want to be happy for a lifetime, Ride a BMW!"
Old 05-13-2013, 06:15 AM   #278
bill42
Old-School BMWs

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalt38 View Post
Yep... - was hoping though that there might be a way besides resistors...
I bet you won't need any mod. Just a guess as I am no expert. I bought a replacement LED blinker relay for my 1981 bike but when I wired up my 4 LED indicators to the stock blinker it worked fine except for a faster blink rate which I kind of like anyway.
1958 BMW R50 aka: A BMW Motorcycle Story (link)
bill42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:51 AM   #279
globalt38
Swimmin W/Waterwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill42 View Post
I bet you won't need any mod. Just a guess as I am no expert. I bought a replacement LED blinker relay for my 1981 bike but when I wired up my 4 LED indicators to the stock blinker it worked fine except for a faster blink rate which I kind of like anyway.
Was thinking I'd at least hook them up to see - worst case if they do quick flash and I don't like it I can always add in the resistors. Plus, I'm also adding 4 additional small "arrow" LEDs on my panniers (2 each side) which may increase the load some. They are fairly small (are intended as aftermarket auto side mirror turn indicators) and I don't always ride with my panniers of course but we'll see...

Old 05-13-2013, 07:00 AM   #280
bill42
Old-School BMWs

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Was thinking I'd at least hook them up to see - worst case if they do quick flash and I don't like it I can always add in the resistors. Plus, I'm also adding 4 additional small "arrow" LEDs on my panniers (2 each side) which may increase the load some. They are fairly small (are intended as aftermarket auto side mirror turn indicators) and I don't always ride with my panniers of course but we'll see...
I explain to others that the apparent frequency increase of my flashers is because my bike is so fast that they are witnessing the doppler effect.
1958 BMW R50 aka: A BMW Motorcycle Story (link)
bill42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #281
globalt38
Swimmin W/Waterwings

Quote:
SuperbrightLED does have a relay for a toyota which, according to the pin and wiring diagram is awfully close to the BMW one on my PD pictured above - at $13 - I may check it out and see if it will work (run wires from the relay connector to corresponding toyota relay spades) will let you all know results - If I can get it to work would be great find for 91 - 95 airheads who want to go the LED route.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:15 AM   #282
FrostyBM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Just read back through the thread

globalt38, mate, the Kisan is made for that vintage of airhead. If you read back through this thread you can get all the info you need. Ive got LED blinkers + tail/brake light on my '92.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:02 AM   #283
ignatz72 OP
call me iggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyBM View Post
globalt38, mate, the Kisan is made for that vintage of airhead. If you read back through this thread you can get all the info you need. Ive got LED blinkers + tail/brake light on my '92.
The info is way back in this thread, but it is the Kisan SM-6 that you want for no hassle, plug-and-play LED conversion (with other added features).

https://www.kisantech.com/popup/mult...p?product=SM-6

Other LED relays are questionable, especially the cheapest ones. I did not have good luck attempting to use HD or supposed LED flasher relays on another bike. However, since the Kisan is ~$100 many people balk on pulling the trigger, so if you find another suitable flasher, we would certainly all love to have that info here in this thread!
Old 06-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #284
globalt38
Swimmin W/Waterwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatz72 View Post
The info is way back in this thread, but it is the Kisan SM-6 that you want for no hassle, plug-and-play LED conversion (with other added features).

https://www.kisantech.com/popup/mult...p?product=SM-6

Other LED relays are questionable, especially the cheapest ones. I did not have good luck attempting to use HD or supposed LED flasher relays on another bike. However, since the Kisan is ~$100 many people balk on pulling the trigger, so if you find another suitable flasher, we would certainly all love to have that info here in this thread!
Cool! I knew there had to be something out there - $100 is a bit spendy though.
I do have the above mentioned toyota flasher just haven't had time to sit down with a "test set" of wires yet.Will at some point though and let ya'll know the result.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:51 PM   #285
ignatz72 OP
call me iggy

Long time no LED

So I've been away from this thread for a bit since the GS has everything it needs and has been performing flawlessly (LED mods included), and I recently upgraded my XR650L to a 650R and that prep up has been occupying my time...

But I've had a few PMs about the various parts and bulbs used in this thread so in the next day or so I'll get a list compiled.

For those of you eager enough who have already gathered the info from this thread, everything I used here has performed well with no issues whatsoever. About the only thing I'd do differently is get a High Beam indicator with fewer LEDs since it is a bit bright.

Anyway, I'll be back after I refresh my memory from the thread and/or my invoices...