Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #1501
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
NO WAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree Day one should be longer. But the Bay of LA is a MUST !!!!!!!!!
SF sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! get thru it as fast as you can!!
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #1502
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,832
Quote:
If you do it this way the Riders will not show!

MOST Racers have NO chance of an OVERALL win.
But could win ther class.
That is how this event will grow.
If you look at all the SPORTSMAN classes in Score and BITD here in the WEST.
That is the group of racers they need to get.
A Class win!! means you FINSHED the entire race. ( with 1 or 10 in the class a Win is a WIN !!!!)
I remember back when at the Score Baja 1000 we woud have 20 (250cc) bikes in the Class. ( those day are long gone)

NORRA may draw a few Big Boys to come and have fun ( like RG did with his HUMMER )
But most of the BIG NAME PROS wont show until there is $$$$$ ( NORRA 1000 is a FUN Race )

Fuel tank size is inportant.
The bikes have to cover the stages and have fuel left over. ( in case you get lost )

My point is: NORRA wants and needs to Draw the guys with the big BMW and KTM ADV type bikes
along with the guys with the smaller bikes 250-650 that race in the desert.
Here in the west MOST of the bikes that are raced in the Desert have a LARGE TANK due to the fact the loops are 50 + miles at speed. Not trails like back east. At this coming years Baja 1000 Pits will be set up at 45-55 miles
that means we will have 22 pits. ( fuel tank is around 3.2 gal)

So with the light man power at the NORRA 1000along With the bigger the fuel tank the more NORRA can do to keep the bikes going
RG did the event because his dad had so much fun in the first 2 years AND it gave him a chance to put mileage on the hummbuggy. Also his new benefactor, Clyde Stacy, wanted to do the event.

No big name pros race in any Baja for big $$$$. There never has been and never will be big $$$ racing anything in Baja. "How do you make a million dollars racing in Baja???? Start with 2 million"

The 250 class went away when the 2 stroke/4stroke cluster fuck came into play. Now everyone rides a 450.

No need to mandate tank size. Simply set where the pits will be and that will force the riders to either carry gas or have tanks large enough to get there. Back in the 70's we used to race Baja with gas in plastic bottles on a fanny pack.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #1503
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,635
Mex 1000 n00b!

Reading this thread very closely, as I hope to run the Mex 1000 next year.

I WILL be completing my adventure without the navigational aid of a GPS, but you can bet I'll have one aboard for, as Cranky said, emergencies.

When do you guys think classes will be announced for 2013? What was the distance between fuel stops this year?

As DRC42 said...for me it's about the adventure and challenge of the roadbook navigation. I'm sure the call to run the Mex 1000 is different for everyone.

I look forward to hangin with the squatters since they'll be takin care of me through the whole adventure!

Thanks already to all you guys for the great advice.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #1504
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
No big name pros race in any Baja for big $$$$. There never has been and never will be big $$$ racing anything in Baja. "How do you make a million dollars racing in Baja???? Start with 2 million"

You don't view the PPI Toyota/TRD TrophyTruck program as having been a large budget effort? I don't know that much about it but it seemed big to me. Or at least
it didn't seem like they were short on dollabills when it came to development...?..

cross-country screwed with this post 06-13-2012 at 12:48 PM
cross-country is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:32 AM   #1505
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,856
Pits should be at the start of each stage and every 100 Miles!!

WE screwed up on day 1 by not topping off at the end of stage 1 or the start of stage 2
our fault !!! Tried to use Mag 7, but Mag 7 was not on Road book They used GPS
Bummer , But we still made it in to SF after a little help from fellow racers "THANKS"
Then we fuled up and never looked back.

As my ' BIG Boys" statement.
I am talking Bikes. AKA: factory KTM RED BULL,Factory Berg,Factory Yamaha, JCR,Team Green, etc>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 06-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #1506
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:

No need to mandate tank size. Simply set where the pits will be and that will force the riders to either carry gas or have tanks large enough to get there. Back in the 70's we used to race Baja with gas in plastic bottles on a fanny pack.

Wow! Thank you for saying it again.

@BAJADAD

I find it hard to believe that class size will keep the riders away, maybe it will keep the cherry pickers away, is that what your fear is? I ride ECEA Enduro's in the B class and I'm pretty much mid pack at the finish. I have zero chances of getting a class win and advancing to A and I know I'm not the only one. The Senior B class is full of guys like me, no lack of entry there. At the end of the day, I'm racing myself and my buddies. All the way through the pack are a bunch of mini races going on and then the top 5% are fighting for overall.

Why compete with Score and BITD for racers? Make up your mind, do you want another desert race or do you want a mini Dakar event? The Desert guys want balls to the wall and the roadbook guys seem to want TSD rally, brains over balls.

As far as attracting the Adv big bike guys, I don't agree with you. I've attended many ADV big bike rides and they are not the type of guys to do this event. Sorry to burst your bubble, they are not the masses that will make this event 300 riders strong. 1% of the big bike crowd will have the balls to do this event, the others will talk about it. Very few East coast ADV big bike folks actually show up at Rallymoto events and they're 100 stage miles and centrally located. I just don't see it.

I see the MX1000 as it's own brand, why dilute it and turn it into something that already exists? Tweak the rules and class structure and improve upon the low hanging fruit. If all of a sudden the field is full of Dakar bikes, they might consider spending the limited resources on a more RB driven event. As it stands, it's a strange mix of (as Tim Morton would say) ADVracers, vintage freaks and mildly ADD/obsessive compulsive folks like myself

The bone I would throw at the hardcore RB folks and Dakar wanna beee's ( If I had say so) would be a Mallie moto's class with a truck hauling spares and gear. Tent bivy all the way till the end, no other support other than MAG7 for fuel only. NO GPS, mandate a SPOT tracker and a SAT phone and have a volunteer track their progress (Remotely) and make sure no course cutting is done. Add that class to the class structure I mentioned earlier and it's a done deal.

For the record Mark, I've done 11 Rallymoto events and I lost count of all the car rally events I've done. I'm not new to this and I understand the inner workings of the promotion/organization side. Not picking on you, playing devils advocate based on experience is all.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #1507
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,688
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #1508
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

What's funny about this is I am the guy that got
NORRA to add the class you rode in.
I know for fact NORRA wants the "wannabe racers"
The guys that dream of racing Dakar and the Baja1000
I think I am on the wright track along with NORRA.
What ever happens I will be there next year
With my son racing The Mexican 1000 rally.
Stay tune for up comming news from NORRA !
Old 06-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #1509
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
What's funny about this is I am the guy that got
NORRA to add the class you rode in.
I know for fact NORRA wants the "wannabe racers"
The guys that dream of racing Dakar and the Baja1000
I think I am on the wright track along with NORRA.
What ever happens I will be there next year
With my son racing The Mexican 1000 rally.
Stay tune for up comming news from NORRA !

Please don't twist my words around, it takes me a long time to form them

Dakar Wannabe's was what I said, not "racer wannabes", there is a difference and I don't mean it in a disparaging way in all honesty.
So, you asked NORRA for a class that had one participant (me), did the market speak or was the pitch wrong? Does Dakar have a class based on fuel cap and CC's? No comment on the Mallie moto's that I suggested? Seems like a no brainer to me, interested in your opinion actually.

Funny thing about this discussion is that we all fundamentally agree, the only we seem to be apart on is the application. NORRA doesn't need our help, I'm confident that they're on the right track based on budgets, available manpower and market demands. I'll be there next year regardless, just like everyone else, which makes this discussion a form of forum based masterbation

Think about it... Mallie moto's at the MX1000, how hardcore would that be?
No support other than fuel service, basic tools and spares and sleeping in a tent. Roadbook only, no GPS. At a few hundred to the entry fee to cover the cost of the truck hauling support boxes and you're all set!
Old 06-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #1510
roadracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:

The comment regarding Andy Grider was wrong, he was a paid entry so he had every right to be there just like everyone else.
Much like my other suggestions, they were just things that came to mind so don't get wound up.

However, he had a race entry but he was obviously not racing. My recollection was that he would leave 30-40 minutes early and get a ways into the stage and wait for Alex to pass him. After that he would let him go a ways and then chase him down.

I don't see what the benefit of allowing "water carriers" at a small budget event like this would be. There is a sweep truck and you can always max out and start again the next day. It doesn't have to be the ISDE where everything is sealed and you can't accept help, but lets not turn this into the Tour de France.
roadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #1511
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
Must be raining everywhere, Everyone seems to be having ummm.....healthy discussions..
ric678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #1512
Locker43
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Had a blast on day 4 riding with Andy. All I want is more beer, less sand!
Locker43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #1513
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locker43 View Post
Had a blast on day 4 riding with Andy. All I want is more beer, less sand!
Plenty of sand in this thread but it's the underwear kind
Old 06-13-2012, 01:06 PM   #1514
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Nope not raining here sunny 80 in Southern California beautiful day
This argument that is going on is silly.
This race is not Dakar and isn't the Baja 1000 is a fun filled adventure
But the rules do need to be a Little tighter.
I do think we all want the same thing a fun safe event.

As for sleeping in tents and sleeping bags that would be no problem
I think some teams did sleep in tents and sleeping bags!!

As for the support truck that's what each team should have their own support truck
Old 06-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #1515
Locker43
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Pantah, might want to check your math. For the record, the event was run as well as anything I have ever been exposed to considering logistics. Clean up the problem areas (quality, not quantity) and have some fun!
Locker43 is offline   Reply With Quote