Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #46
MexiHonkey
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I think that is great, it would help a lot. I'd say about 60% of the top 10 cars were completely gentlemanly and attentive when being passed & 40% were incredibly dangerous and oblivious jackrabbits.

thanks for responding on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja-chris View Post
On the topic of separating handlebars and steering wheels, I'd like to put as much gap as we can between them for the first Special on day 1. However we also want to start the steering wheels early enough so most can complete the days stages in daylight.

What I have in mind is to implement group starts by category for the handlebars (on SS 1, Day 1) to get them all down the road as soon as possible then leave a gap of an hour before the steering wheels start (which would go off one at a time on 1 minute intervals). Since the first special is only about 50 miles, and the nature of our event includes transit sections with a generous time allocation, it should reduce the amount of car/bike interaction during the specials (for example, if you have a car staging behind a bike for one of the specials, then that car has caught the bike so why not let the car start first and let his dust clear before the bike stages since there is no time penalty for doing so.)

On the topic of Dakar style rally notes, I've discussed this with Ken and I'd like to talk with Scott (Whitney) and Ken about doing more in this area. Scott, what is the best way to contact you privately?
MexiHonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:20 AM   #47
decafe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Adv class

We can make our own class. I am bringing my elephant 650 1987 and will be classed 85+ open. But where else can I do a three day stage rally type race. I will be racing my shadow to the finish thinking. Of edition oreilo
decafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #48
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,441
Looks like we get to keep our number 12 from last year

The organizers have really stepped up their communication with entrants, which is awesome! Thanks Chris for coming on here and chiming in!

As far as the people planning on riding adventure bikes in this race...

Although the transits will at least be comfortable

oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #49
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
Looks like we get to keep our number 12 from last year

Love the groovy font for the number

Fits the spirit of the race nicely. Makes me want to go find a good classic bike, my IT200 is a 1986 so too new for the classic class (and likely would not make it 1000 miles anyway!). I am planning on riding my good ole rock solid reliable DRZ400.

So, what's everybody else riding?
Old 01-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #50
Racer20
East West Racing

Oddometer: 101
I love the SL 350, the tank looks tiny.. Did you have any problems with fuel stops? Does anyone know what the longest distance between fuel stops will be? We are trying to figure out how to supply fuel to 3 riders. thanks for any info..
Racer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #51
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post
I love the SL 350, the tank looks tiny.. Did you have any problems with fuel stops? Does anyone know what the longest distance between fuel stops will be? We are trying to figure out how to supply fuel to 3 riders. thanks for any info..
Ah, yes, fuel.

Well we had two rotopax mounted on the rear of the bike and two large MSR type gas bottles in the tank bag.

The rotopax tanks cracked my frame during the whoops. I ended up giving gas to a Brutus the Bronco team just outside San Felipe. I then filled up at a Pemex in San Felipe. We used Mag 7 pits and when they have the route finalized, you will see the distances and where the pits are and that will, help you to figure out gas needs.

This year, we may be using a larger plastic tank...and/or an acerbis auxiliary tank. We are also probably going to carry some fuel in MSR bottles in soft luggage such as a giant loop, wolfman type horseshoe bag. But I would not count on your chase crew to be able to fuel you, although they did me...and this year they will when we change riders (last year was ironman).

The mag 7 pits can be spendy..but it is peace of mind...and they were an oasis for me when I was dead tired and thristy...pull in, they checked everything, fueled me, fueled and oiled the bike, put a cold wet towel on my neck...relayed messages from my team and sent me on my way. Awesome.

Also, I would make sure you guys have race radios in the vehicles if you can. Very helpful. There is not much info up at the mag 7 pits website yet,as they are waiting for the route, but it does give their radio freq....that is the must have one, your chase crew will appreciate being able to call out to a check point (if they are close enough) and get/transmit information. But remember, this is limited as there is no "Weatherman" at this race and none of the freqs are repeated.

http://www.mag7race.com/racing_info.php

Make sure you riders are each carrying money dollars and pesos and be prepared to pay for stuff you need along the way. There are people lining the course in some pretty remote areas...and they will help you if they ask. The Mexican people are crazy race fans and they are some of the most generous people you will ever meet. I did not realize the extent of this before doing this race...I do now!

We are of the belief that too much gas is good.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:48 AM   #52
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,819
Oregon, thanks for the info. Always nice to hear from somebody who has done an event like this. I plan on reading through your ride report soon also.

My bike has a 4 gallon tank which is good enough for about 175 miles of highway, probably 130 out in the desert (possibly less, never ridden in the desert before so guessing based on what I get for dual-sport riding around here). With range like that are there enough towns with gas stations along the route or do I still need to either carry more fuel and/or go with mag 7?

Depending on the cost I might just go with mag 7 anyway just as you mentioned for the security of someone to get me fixed up when things go wrong.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #53
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42 View Post
Oregon, thanks for the info. Always nice to hear from somebody who has done an event like this. I plan on reading through your ride report soon also.

My bike has a 4 gallon tank which is good enough for about 175 miles of highway, probably 130 out in the desert (possibly less, never ridden in the desert before so guessing based on what I get for dual-sport riding around here). With range like that are there enough towns with gas stations along the route or do I still need to either carry more fuel and/or go with mag 7?

Depending on the cost I might just go with mag 7 anyway just as you mentioned for the security of someone to get me fixed up when things go wrong.
With four gallons, and that kind of range, I think you will be fine using Mag 7 and filling at Pemex when you need/want to. Having Mag 7 is worth it in my opinion..consider it insurance...expensive until you use it. I know that they have given up wheels and tubes even if you didn't provided them with those spares. For me, it was silly not to just have them and use them for a few hundred dollars considering the thousands of dollars I had spent to get to the start line.

And that goes for Med Jet Assist. Just get it.

Others think it is silly to spend $300 dollars when they only end up using 3 gallons from Mag 7...I look at is as supporting a good group of people..and hedging my bets...but like everything else...your milage may vary.

If I was bare-bones, I would just pack as much fuel as possible and fuel where I could and beg for it along the way.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:52 PM   #54
baja-chris
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Most of the special stages are under 100 miles but there is one that is 175 miles (San Ignacio to Hwy 1 north of Loreto). You can buy fuel in La Purisima mid way on this stage. It's not a Pemex station, instead there are a couple guys who haul in fuel and sell it out of their back yards, pesos or dollars are ok but there is a premium on the price since they have to buy it at retail then haul it in and store/despense it. They have signs and it's not hard to find if you look or ask. But if you are in a hurry, it is a race after all, then either have your own pit crew or sign up with Mag 7 or Baja Pits. But if you don't mind looking for fuel, you can run the rally without paying for support.

The AAA map shows gas stations, it's a bit out of date though.

Chris
NORRA
baja-chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:34 PM   #55
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Quote:
Most of the special stages are under 100 miles but there is one that is 175 miles (San Ignacio to Hwy 1 north of Loreto). You can buy fuel in La Purisima mid way on this stage. It's not a Pemex station, instead there are a couple guys who haul in fuel and sell it out of their back yards, pesos or dollars are ok but there is a premium on the price since they have to buy it at retail then haul it in and store/despense it. They have signs and it's not hard to find if you look or ask. But if you are in a hurry, it is a race after all, then either have your own pit crew or sign up with Mag 7 or Baja Pits. But if you don't mind looking for fuel, you can run the rally without paying for support.

Chris
NORRA
Thanks Chris...when can we expect the "sort-of" route map online like we had last year?? That was very helpful. Although that 175 mile section sounds suspiciously the same as last year...are we basically running the same route??
Old 01-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #56
Region Riley
rally kit widow

Oddometer: 3,447
Quote:

Chris
NORRA
The La Purisima gas stop looked like this a couple of years ago. Our spanish wasn't very good, I think we payed a lot.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #57
Racer20
East West Racing

Great info about the fueling, guess we will wait and see how long the sections are.. When will the route maps be available? We are getting very excited about this event.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #58
Racer20
East West Racing

So another question for anyone who knows, what about GPS vs roadmap? what is best?
Old 01-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #59
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
Thanks Chris...when can we expect the "sort-of" route map online like we had last year?? That was very helpful. Although that 175 mile section sounds suspiciously the same as last year...are we basically running the same route??
My hope is that they don't provide a detailed map until the day before the race. Even that is providing more information than is normal for a cross-country rally. The only reason to provide a detailed map earlier is to help with planning for chase crews. But that information could be provided in a way that does not give away the details of the whole course (maybe that's the "sort-of" map you mentioned). In Dakar, they provide maps of each stage ahead of time, but the only thing that is accurate is the start and finish points. The twisty line in between is complete BS. The idea of providing crew support mid-stage is a North American desert racing concept. It doesn't exist in most cross-country desert rallys. NORRA is catering to the traditional Baja crowd, so it kind of makes sense to break them in to the rally concept slowely. But if the goal is to eventually mimic a traditional rally, accurate maps, GPS, and mid-stage crew support would have to go away. That will be difficult to accomplish when they are also catering to the vintage crowd, which generally needs a lot more mid-stage support.

Quote:
When will the route maps be available?
They are handed out at registration in Mexicali.

Quote:
So another question for anyone who knows, what about GPS vs roadmap? what is best?
Hazards are marked in the roadbook. They are not marked in the GPS. So, you may be more likely to crash or have related issues if you don't use the roadbook.

To follow the GPS, you have to look down more to be sure you're still on course. With the roadbook, you'll know how far you need to go before you make a turn onto a different road, so you don't have to look down as much to navigate.

Paper roadbooks are a lot more reliable than GPS. If your GPS dies, you can't follow the course anymore (unless you follow someone else). With the roadbook, you might have to turn the knob by hand, but at least the directions on paper don't go away when you have power issues or a dead GPS. Having both GPS and roadbook is ideal, though not in the tradition of a real rally.

HogWild screwed with this post 01-08-2012 at 11:57 AM
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #60
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,949
There are only so many routes through most areas, most have been raced on, on and off for over 40 years. You tell us where we are starting and finishing and many of us will be able to pretty much tell you how they will get there and most likely have a GPS track for it. Its Baja, not BF Egypt.