Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2012, 07:36 AM   #91
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,465
just need your registration for the bike.. Also for navagation for crew a Baja ALmanac (best) or AAA baja book is good
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #92
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42 View Post
Speaking of paperwork.... I have never brought a bike+gear in and out of Mexico but I have in Canada. Getting into Canada has never been an issue but I have had bored US customs guys give me trouble trying to "import" the bike back into the US. Anybody ever have issues like this in Mexico? Any suggestions on what paperwork on the bikes helps make it go more smoothly?

I suspect since it is common for US riders to go play in Mexico they are at least more used to seeing this.
You'll need Mexican Insurance.

I used Bajabound for this, very reasonable and easy to get online. No affiliation. They also have more information and answers to questions on their website. Mainland Mexico has different requirements than Baja. No special vehicle import documents required for Baja, but your are supposed to get "visas" when you go south of the "tourist zone."

http://www.bajabound.com/
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #93
roadracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Well, I put a deposit on a bike and registered for the race. I'll see you guys there.
roadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #94
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

110 days

had a small crash today.. it give me reason to pull the bike apart and start prepping it during the coldest slowest part of the winter..

Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
Old 01-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #95
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,829
Hotels

From the info on the norra site it sounds like the entry fee includes a hotel room in Bahia de Los Angeles for night #1. So, I take it we are on our own to find hotels or other sleeping arrangements for the other nights? If so I am planning on bringing a tent and just camping, is there usually a "bivouac" area where I can camp?

Edit: ok, reading in more detail I see that they reserve rooms in Bahia, but we still have to pay for them ourselves (not included in the entry fee).
Old 01-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #96
roadracer
Gnarly Adventurer

It would be worth knowing what the hotel situation is for the rest of the trip.

Are there preferred or recommended hotels?
Old 01-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #97
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Im sure that Norra can answer both of those questions .. try calling them.. I plan to sleep on a floor either tent, dirt or otherwise ...
Old 01-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #98
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
My goal isn't to make this a real rally. My goal is to help them in areas they want help where I have expertise.
And that is why I am now following this thread closely.
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #99
hubilado
Motoquiero

Oddometer: 157
Just Curious….if there might be any other Old Geezers thinking about doing this event…..? I'm NOT a racer and although I've ridden quite a bit, I don't feel comfortable going balls to the wall for much of any distance, much less the length of Baja. Even though I'm 72 I am sorely tempted by the navigational challenges and riding the event, but wouldn't want to bog the affair down with my slowness……. I'm assuming, but don't know if, there will be some support options (BajaBound, MAG 7, or others?) that could be of help to a guy without any homeboi followers.

Any comments?
hubilado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #100
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubilado View Post
Just Curious….if there might be any other Old Geezers thinking about doing this event…..? I'm NOT a racer and although I've ridden quite a bit, I don't feel comfortable going balls to the wall for much of any distance, much less the length of Baja. Even though I'm 72 I am sorely tempted by the navigational challenges and riding the event, but wouldn't want to bog the affair down with my slowness……. I'm assuming, but don't know if, there will be some support options (BajaBound, MAG 7, or others?) that could be of help to a guy without any homeboi followers.

Any comments?
I was reading through the info on the Mag 7 website today. They are doing support for the race. I believe it is $250 + the cost of fuel. I am planning on using them, most importantly because this includes emergency service, i.e. going out on the stage to recover my broken bike. Hope I don't need that of course but the boy scout in me has to be prepared.

It sounds like they will have a few pits set up each day (I think it was 3 the first day and 2 each of the other 2 days) but they do specifically say they will NOT have anything set up for the overnight stops. So, if you are looking for someone to carry gear that you will need at the end of each day sounds like you would need something beyond Mag 7.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:57 PM   #101
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,457
Lots of interesting things being discussed here. I will give a very good piece of advice: Do not count on things to go smoothly or as planned. Last year at the finish, even after winning our class, we were told that our reservation was wrong at the hotel that NORRA had scheduled all of the ceremonies, so we had to find some rooms elsewhere. We found a pretty decent place with secure parking and hourly rates

* No one is there to carry your shit for you.
* Mag 7 people were good, thats the first I heard about emergency service, but I am unsure if they will tow it anywhere but to the closest road. Last year the pits were just a few people, camping out. But they were a welcome oasis for sure! But to clarify, each pit on each day are different people who probably got there the night before and will head back to the states as soon as the last person passes through. The pits don't move down and follow the route...different peeps at each pit.
* Last year NORRA helped out with hotel stuff a bit more, and we were given the list of where NORRA was staying. We will be trying to stay the same place they are when available.
* You can camp in the Bivouac...but that is usually just the hotel parking lot. In the case of Bay of LA, it can be right on the beach! Last year, our crew slept in the hotel, and I crashed in the van with the bike to keep an eye on things. I think there was a bike stolen last year....but can't remember the details.
* This is a 1000 mile Baja race. You cannot count on NORRA to bail you out. When we had problems last year on day one, the NORRA sweep crew were in a Toyota FJ and offered me no assistance at all...just wanted to know who I was so they could let the organizers know that I might not make it in for the night. I was rescued by a fellow racer...but if they had not appeared, I would have either been stuck there until the next day, or would have paid a local to haul me the 100 miles to the bivouac. Have money and be prepared to ask for help from locals. When I arrived at the bivouac at close to midnight and saw those sweep guys enjoying a cold beer, It was hard not to go off...but I realized this was my race, and my responsibility.
* Michelle, Jennifer and the rest of the NORRA crew at the Bivouacs were amazing and helpful to us, and I can't wait to see them again....and most likely the sweep crew is just not able to do much...I mean, they are traveling 400 miles that day too and dealing with maybe a 100 entrants...so be prepared for that.

Although this is not the Baja 1000, it is not easy. You will be tired, you will be challenged, you will be scared at times, you will be excited, you will be in pain. It will be an adventure. But I don't believe it will be easy. However, you will have an amazing time! If you are expecting a well-oiled, multi-million dollar event with helos to rescue you and your bike like in Dakar, you will be waiting a long time along that highway or on that trail in the desert.

Damn, I can't wait for this race!!!

oregoncoast screwed with this post 01-17-2012 at 08:49 AM
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:24 AM   #102
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
The pits don't move down and follow the route...different peeps at each pit.

This bears repeating.

Because what it means is that there is different stuff at each pit too. So if you want a spare set of wheels at every pit, you need a different set of wheels for every pit.

Ditto gas; you'll need to tell them how much gas to have for you at each pit, not just the total amount. You will be given the approximate distances and pit locations beforehand.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:17 AM   #103
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,577
When I raced it the first year I paid for Max7 emergency support. I didn't pay for gas because I had the range to do each stage without their gas. Then we had a serious fuel problem and needed a gallon mid-stage on day 3. Despite having paid for emergency support, they refused to give me any gas. They had gas for several of our other team members who had already broken down and were out of the race (Jonah included), but since my name was not on their gas list I couldn't even use any of the unused gas.

In the Baja 1000 I paid Mag7 for emergency service only. At one point we had a chain problem, and needed a hammer to install a press link. That Mag7 pit did not have a hammer. They were very helpful in finding a suitable rock though.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #104
roadracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Anyone have any tire recommendations? What worked and didn't work?

What kind of spares did you guys carry on-course vs in the truck?
Old 01-17-2012, 11:33 AM   #105
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Dunlop 606, mx 71, D 739 desert AT or the rally raid.. all are up to the task Im partial and Dunlop supports me but I do belive any of those tires blow away any Michelin, Pirelli or Bridgestone....Carry a spare front with you in case of flats if you are not using mousse.. If using tubes buy either Bridgstone or Michelin ULTRA heavy duty tubes... run a little higher pressure to keep from pinch flatting...