ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-21-2011, 07:55 AM   #1
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..
 
Infracaninophile's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: New England, USA
Oddometer: 7,520
R100GS - Need purchase advise on 93 PD

All:

I am considering the purchase of this bike that is for sale here in the flea market:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=750292



The seller and I have corresponded and I really like the bike, and I can tolerate the color. It's only 1 state away which is great.

In the past I have owned two R100GS's that were converted to PD-like setups but as far as I know have never owned a PD that came that way. It's not a really big deal but how do you know if a bike originally came as a PD? Will the VIN tell me? The seller is the third owner but has a LOT of paperwork from the previous owner who also had the original sales receipt from 1993 showing an original purchase price of $8500. Would that tell if it was a PD or not?

Seller is a standup guy and I'd like to make a decision on the bike today and make payment via PayPal today to finalize the deal before Christmas.

The bike has high miles (82K) but he has receipts from PO showing new clutch, top end overhaul (no more details) and trannie rebuild. Trannie receipt does NOT indicate circlip done specifically but seller believes it is complete and I can't believe anyone would go into the trannie at 50K and NOT do the circlip. The PO actually worked at the dealership where most of the work was done and was apparently a local MOA member as well.

Looking for input from the cognoscenti here on:

1. Yes, good deal. High miles are just fine. Buy it or I will.
2. No, it's a horrible deal and who would buy a Teal bike.

And, if someone else snags it while I'm deciding this then I deserve it. But I ask that you let me have a shot at it today.

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:05 AM   #2
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico
 
Airhead Wrangler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Back in Seattle, FINALLY
Oddometer: 6,341
I'd want a bit more detail on what service has been done. The owner saying that he "changed the motherboard to up charging output" is not terribly reassuring. This tells me it was owned by someone that didn't really have much of a clue. What exactly was done for the "top end rebuild?" Still the original driveshaft? The color is pretty inexcusable, even for germans, but hey, at least it's better than the purple one.
__________________
R80ST Gets The HPN Treatment
Seattle to TDF on an airhead

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 12-21-2011 at 08:10 AM
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous
 
Wirespokes's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Jackson's Bottom Oregon
Oddometer: 7,880
Tom - It looks to me like a fair deal. The Fox shock is a big plus! The PD came with the high fender, so I thought perhaps it hadn't started out a PD until mention of the original high original coming with the sale. I think all the goodies pretty much cancels the higher mileage. The more I think about it, it seems like a pretty good deal.

Any mention of the driveshaft? Has it been rebuilt/renewed?

Funny you don't like the color - I like it a lot! Perhaps it'll grow on you.

BTW, Mike really loves your old red sports car!
__________________
Wanted: Dead, smashed, crashed or trashed gauges
BMW GAUGE REPAIRS - TACH*SPEEDO*CLOCK*VOLT METER *PODs & LIGHT BOARD*
Wirespokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:24 AM   #4
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..
 
Infracaninophile's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: New England, USA
Oddometer: 7,520
AW:

Well, I already owned a purple one so I have that out of the way. At least this is the Teal/White as I think I've seen a Teal/Black.

The current owner has only owned it a short time and here is the history of the bike as he knows it:

1. Purchased 3-29-93 in Salt Lake by Original owner for $8500. At a multi-brand dealership that also sold BMW's.

2. Second owner purchased it with 50K miles. Owned it since I think 2005 and put 30+K on it. Has receipts showing top end rebuild, new drive shaft, new steering head bearings, new clutch, etc.. totaling $4200 over that time frame. I do not have more details on the top end but can ask. PO also purchased Fox Shock which I do like a lot. It is rebuildable. Has all records from the work that was done when he owned it. He was a member of the MOA and worked at the dealership. I don't know in what capacity.

3. Current owner bought the bike from a local shop very recently and also just connected with the PO who handed him: 1. original shock, 2. original high fender and beak, 3. taller windshield (? make), a 2-up corbin seat with piping matching the teal (I won't use that), and original hand guards, and original owner's manual, etc..

4. New owner is desiring a 950. I am not selling mine.


The bike has lived it's entire life in the Utah/SLC area as far as I know. From the pictures on his ad the bike looks like a 30K mile bike and not 82K to me. But have not seen the bike in person.

Tom

Infracaninophile screwed with this post 12-21-2011 at 02:58 PM
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..
 
Infracaninophile's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: New England, USA
Oddometer: 7,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes View Post
Tom - It looks to me like a fair deal. The Fox shock is a big plus! The PD came with the high fender, so I thought perhaps it hadn't started out a PD until mention of the original high original coming with the sale. I think all the goodies pretty much cancels the higher mileage. The more I think about it, it seems like a pretty good deal.

Any mention of the driveshaft? Has it been rebuilt/renewed?

Funny you don't like the color - I like it a lot! Perhaps it'll grow on you.

BTW, Mike really loves your old red sports car!
Wire:

Says here new drive shaft in his ad which I posted the text below. Since the PO bought the bike with 50K, and I don't have the receipt showing when the new shaft went in, it cannot be more than 32K on it and likely less.

Glad Mike is digging my old 911. Did not know you guys knew each other. It could not have gone to a better home. It was replaced with something more zoomier.

Tom

--------------------

I was able to meet with the prior owner today and got receipts including the original purchase price of $8,500 in 1993, the original owners manual and accessory catalog from 1993, and over $4,200 in receipts since 2005 for tires, tranny work, new top end, new steering head bearings, re-packed muffler, new rear drive shaft, etc. Those receipts did not include the receipt from 2000 for $611 for the Fox shock. I also received the original high front fender with the matching colored beak, a two-up Corbin saddle with color-coded piping, the stock fork springs, the tall windshield, and the factory headlight rock guard and handguards. Awesome! Tons of love and money have been spent to keep this bike in tip top shape.

Up for sale is a very, very nice 1993 BMW R100GSPD with approx. 82K on it but don't let the mileage concern you. This bike runs and handles great with a rebuilt top end, new clutch, newer Avon Distancia tires, new grips, and a new motherboard that ups electical output to 400 watts, so you can run all your gear. The bike has been meticulously maintained by the previous owner, who was the VP of the local Beemer club and worked at the local BMW shop. It has the original paint and seat. It has heavier front springs with fresh seals and a nice Fox remote reservoir rear shock. It will handle the off-road tasks much better than stock. Just rode the bike yesterday in 20 degree weather for an 80 mile trip. Started right up in sub-freezing conditions and ran great. This bike is ready to ride anywhere and needs nothing. The headlights, taillight, turnsignals, brakelights, horn, and all switches work perfectly. Has a new battery and is currently sitting on a battery-tender for the winter. Just passed Utah's strict motorcycle inspection and comes with a clean and clear Utah street title and plates. Comes with the factory panniers, frame, and mounting hardware. Feel free to call me at (801) 722-9380, if you have any questions. Cash price is $4,900. Thanks for your interest! Lonnie * Good news. Met with the PO and got receipts from day one including the original purchase invoice of $8,500 and maintenance records since 2005 totaling over $4,200 not counting the purchase price for the Fox shock at $611 and the Progressive Springs for the front end. Also received taller windscreen, the original high front fender and two up Corbin saddle!
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:31 AM   #6
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..
 
Infracaninophile's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: New England, USA
Oddometer: 7,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
I'd want a bit more detail on what service has been done. The owner saying that he "changed the motherboard to up charging output" is not terribly reassuring. This tells me it was owned by someone that didn't really have much of a clue. What exactly was done for the "top end rebuild?" Still the original driveshaft? The color is pretty inexcusable, even for germans, but hey, at least it's better than the purple one.

AW:

I am assuming the PO put an Omega in there. I need to get more details.

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:38 AM   #7
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous
 
Wirespokes's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Jackson's Bottom Oregon
Oddometer: 7,880
What about the FRONT DRIVE SHAFT???

I'd say go for it. Sounds like a great deal to me. Which larger alternator does it have? Easy enough to tell by pulling the front cover - but that's right - it's a state away.

What's this about a re-packed muffler? Pix show the stock one - which has fixed baffles. Does it now sport a supertrapp?

If you don't like the color, it's easy enough to re-paint. I always loved the look of the Classic - shiny black.

Yeah, Mike and I are good friends - known him about eight years now. Lives about five miles away and get together for rides regularly. He took me on a Porsche ride soon after it arrived - fun!!! (those guys don't seem capable of reading speed limit signs)
__________________
Wanted: Dead, smashed, crashed or trashed gauges
BMW GAUGE REPAIRS - TACH*SPEEDO*CLOCK*VOLT METER *PODs & LIGHT BOARD*
Wirespokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:44 AM   #8
darklight79
scaffold builder
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Eureka ,Calif
Oddometer: 419
seems like a good deal quit tripping on the circlip buy it
darklight79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:44 AM   #9
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..
 
Infracaninophile's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: New England, USA
Oddometer: 7,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes View Post
What about the FRONT DRIVE SHAFT???

I'd say go for it. Sounds like a great deal to me. Which larger alternator does it have? Easy enough to tell by pulling the front cover - but that's right - it's a state away.

If you don't like the color, it's easy enough to re-paint. I always loved the look of the Classic - shiny black.

Yeah, Mike and I are good friends - known him about eight years now. Lives about five miles away and get together for rides regularly. He took me on a Porsche ride soon after it arrived - fun!!! (those guys don't seem capable of reading speed limit signs)
Wire:

Thanks. I wonder what he meant about the REAR shaft. My guess is the alternator is an Omega as he mentions a bigger "Mother board" which must mean Diode board. And the Enduralast is 450 watts and does not have a diode board. So the Omega and shock alone add about $1K to the value to me. I know the Fox is rebuildable as I use to race a Honda F3 with a Fox shock and it was a very good shock.

Yes, there's a reason 911's have 175 mph speedos. Here in CO my old 911 could only manage 140+ but at sea level he should be able to manage 155 or so. It's replacement has about 450 HP and AWD so it's a much better snow car. But it has a Turbo. And I'm now sort of bored with it so it will likely be sold in the Spring.

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:53 AM   #10
tennessee thumper
now in Mt. View, AR
 
tennessee thumper's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Oddometer: 644
As long as the reciepts check out as legit it looks like you have a pretty good one there. Color can be changed poor maintence history cannot.

Price for this seems to be near the ballpark. Legit reciepts would go a long way toward justifying the price.

I got a 93 PD one year ago, 32K with new driveshaft and tranny service recently completed. Traded a LWB /5 with 78K plus $500 cash. I also did the hauling from Arkansas to Chicago. Value for the PD came in around $5500 with gas, /5 and cash. I thought I got a great deal and only had to pull out about $1000 out of pocket.

By comparison....1/2 the miles but only $600 more. You would savivng money with a short communte to pick this bike up.

Others will surely come along with a more desireable color and lower miles but at a higher price. Never know where though, could be a long drive.

I'd suggest making a list of things you would want to do, maintence, parts etc...keeping in mind this is a higher mileage bike....then add that to the agreed price.

If it seems too high, just pull the reigns back and wait for the next one.

That being said, this sounds like a good bike at a decent price.
tennessee thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:59 AM   #11
boxermoose
Now fully goosed
 
boxermoose's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Gulf Coast TX
Oddometer: 2,824
Get the VIN and put it into the MAXbmw fishe (you can input either modle or VIN)

That will pull up the correct parts directorys for that VIN
__________________
Sometimes you get the ABAT....and sometimes the ABAT gets you
boxermoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:03 AM   #12
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer
 
Steve G.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: West is the Best
Oddometer: 6,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile View Post
All:

I am considering the purchase of this bike that is for sale here in the flea market:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=750292



The seller and I have corresponded and I really like the bike, and I can tolerate the color. It's only 1 state away which is great.

In the past I have owned two R100GS's that were converted to PD-like setups but as far as I know have never owned a PD that came that way. It's not a really big deal but how do you know if a bike originally came as a PD? Will the VIN tell me? The seller is the third owner but has a LOT of paperwork from the previous owner who also had the original sales receipt from 1993 showing an original purchase price of $8500. Would that tell if it was a PD or not?

Seller is a standup guy and I'd like to make a decision on the bike today and make payment via PayPal today to finalize the deal before Christmas.

The bike has high miles (82K) but he has receipts from PO showing new clutch, top end overhaul (no more details) and trannie rebuild. Trannie receipt does NOT indicate circlip done specifically but seller believes it is complete and I can't believe anyone would go into the trannie at 50K and NOT do the circlip. The PO actually worked at the dealership where most of the work was done and was apparently a local MOA member as well.

Looking for input from the cognoscenti here on:

1. Yes, good deal. High miles are just fine. Buy it or I will.
2. No, it's a horrible deal and who would buy a Teal bike.

And, if someone else snags it while I'm deciding this then I deserve it. But I ask that you let me have a shot at it today.

Tom


Yes, you can determine by the VIN which model the bikes was originally:
http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/chassispage...ssis1000P2.htm .


I would buy the bike. They are bikes that will command higher prices in the future.

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:02 AM   #13
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT
 
One Less Harley's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Bowling Green, Ky
Oddometer: 4,611
wait a minute...I though you said you wanted an older non-PD bike....this won't do at all.

"........The reason for an earlier one is I haven't had one. :-)........If I could find an 88-90'ish red PD I'd be really happy""""""""


Looks like a nice bike for someone else though.
__________________
2004 BMW R1150RS
1984 BMW R80G/S
(wrenching index)
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)


One Less Harley screwed with this post 12-21-2011 at 10:07 AM
One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #14
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..
 
Infracaninophile's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: New England, USA
Oddometer: 7,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
wait a minute...I though you said you wanted an older non-PD bike....this won't do at all.

"........The reason for an earlier one is I haven't had one. :-)........If I could find an 88-90'ish red PD I'd be really happy""""""""


Looks like a nice bike for someone else though.
Okay, my new goal is to take PD and convert it to non-PD.
Let's see how this all pans out. I need to get more details from the seller on exactly what was done, etc.. He has promised to check into it when he gets home from work today and call me. As of now I have outstanding items of:

1. What exact work was done for the top end overhaul. Want a list of parts and labor.
2. Determine if there is paperwork for the Omega 400W system or ask the owner to remove front engine cover and take a photo.
3. Obtain VIN so I can determine if this came from BMW as a PD.
4. Gets pics of a few extras he collected from the previous owner a few days ago.
5. What exact work was done to the transmission, clutch, and drive shaft and at what date and mileage.

If Christmas wasn't right around the corner I'd just drive the 8 hours to the seller's house and check it out in person.

Tom


Tom

Infracaninophile screwed with this post 12-21-2011 at 12:32 PM
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #15
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben
 
SCQTT's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Mike's Sky Rancho
Oddometer: 5,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile View Post
Okay, my new goal is to take PD and convert it to non-PD.


Tom

Oh, I know you are only joking, but I would take my perfect, 93 Non PD GS bodywork, and trade you + I would throw in $1,500

Wait there is more.

You can then have the ugliest GS ever made, the purple with yellow splash disco version.
__________________
This is SPARTA!
SCQTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014