Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2011, 12:59 PM   #16
CurlyMike
Formerly SaddleSoar

Oddometer: 982
I sold one 3 months ago with almost half the miles and the favorite red Paris Dakar. Both seats, great bags, dual-plugged, new tires. Great shape for $6500. Have seen some in KY for about the same price. I personally think that its too high. Just my humble opinion.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #17
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyMike View Post
I sold one 3 months ago with almost half the miles and the favorite red Paris Dakar. Both seats, great bags, dual-plugged, new tires. Great shape for $6500. Have seen some in KY for about the same price. I personally think that its too high. Just my humble opinion.
Jeesh, why didn't you call me?

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #18
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
Oh, I know you are only joking, but I would take my perfect, 93 Non PD GS bodywork, and trade you + I would throw in $1,500

Wait there is more.

You can then have the ugliest GS ever made, the purple with yellow splash disco version.
Good try. I think it's just easier to ride around with a PD with the tank 1/2 full and pretend it's a non-PD. There are/were several Non-PD's for sale for PD prices now.

Let me go check the airhead GS color chart so I can see which is the ugliest color...

Tom
Old 12-21-2011, 01:56 PM   #19
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Colors: A quick google search found the color GS and G/S page here:

http://micapeak.com/bmw/gs/gs_color.htm

Looks like this one is the Flash green (258)/ Alpin white (146). (after 08/92).
The bike was originally sold in the US to the first owner on 3-29-93 so that's likely it.

IMHO it is better than the Avus black (086)/ Flash green (258) and the Velvet violet (345)/Alpin white (146).

But not as good as either of the Red/White's (early or late) or the black/black of the classic 95 PD)

Tom
Old 12-21-2011, 02:01 PM   #20
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyMike View Post
I know of a Red/White PD in Ky for sale.......56k, $5,500
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:11 PM   #21
lstilson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Holy butt probe!

"Great condition" to CurlyMike probably won't mean what it means to Infracanionphile. He is an engineer and takes this stuff very seriously. $4,750 is too much for a 1993 R100GSPD with the original purchase order, factory manuals, factory bags, both factory fenders, both seats, new tires, and $4,200 in receipts in the last 30K miles? This bike is in better shape than 90% of the PDs out there with 30K original miles. The $4,200 in receipts didn't cover the $600+ Fox shock, the Progressive fork springs, and the rest. That said, I am really impressed with the knowledge of the group as a whole, having ridden airheads since 1979. Coming from someone who got engaged on the first date and married a week later (been married for 26 years now), I am having a bit of trouble coming to grips with all the hubub over a motorcycle purchase.

I will pull the cover off to check the updated electronics, send the vin#, take more pics of the accessories, and read off what the main receipts say for the top end, tranny, clutch, and drive spline, etc. However, if I am asked for a DNA sample or must submit to a lie detector test, I'm out. I can understand due dilgence but I think I can cancel my upcoming colonoscopy, if this bike sells.

I will have to admit, I change bikes almost as much as I change my shorts. Not proud of it. Just true. That said, all this talk has about convinced me that I should actually keep this one around. I did just pick up a vintage Acerbis jacket today that would look smashing with the teal and gravel motif. If I had any hair left, I would grow a nice euro-mullet to match.
lstilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #22
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile View Post
Colors: A quick google search found the color GS and G/S page here:

http://micapeak.com/bmw/gs/gs_color.htm

Looks like this one is the Flash green (258)/ Alpin white (146). (after 08/92).
The bike was originally sold in the US to the first owner on 3-29-93 so that's likely it.

IMHO it is better than the Avus black (086)/ Flash green (258) and the Velvet violet (345)/Alpin white (146).

But not as good as either of the Red/White's (early or late) or the black/black of the classic 95 PD)

Tom
I'll agree on the early red & white as the best ones, but I hate the chrome on the 95 classic. HATE. WTF were they thinking? Chrome? Really?

Chrome is the work of the devil.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #23
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstilson View Post
"Great condition" to CurlyMike probably won't mean what it means to Infracanionphile. He is an engineer and takes this stuff very seriously. $4,750 is too much for a 1993 R100GSPD with the original purchase order, factory manuals, factory bags, both factory fenders, both seats, new tires, and $4,200 in receipts in the last 30K miles? This bike is in better shape than 90% of the PDs out there with 30K original miles. The $4,200 in receipts didn't cover the $600+ Fox shock, the Progressive fork springs, and the rest. That said, I am really impressed with the knowledge of the group as a whole, having ridden airheads since 1979. Coming from someone who got engaged on the first date and married a week later (been married for 26 years now), I am having a bit of trouble coming to grips with all the hubub over a motorcycle purchase.

I will pull the cover off to check the updated electronics, send the vin#, take more pics of the accessories, and read off what the main receipts say for the top end, tranny, clutch, and drive spline, etc. However, if I am asked for a DNA sample or must submit to a lie detector test, I'm out. I can understand due dilgence but I think I can cancel my upcoming colonoscopy, if this bike sells.

I will have to admit, I change bikes almost as much as I change my shorts. Not proud of it. Just true. That said, all this talk has about convinced me that I should actually keep this one around. I did just pick up a vintage Acerbis jacket today that would look smashing with the teal and gravel motif. If I had any hair left, I would grow a nice euro-mullet to match.
Lonnie:

I was just going to swab a coffee cup when I came to pick up the bike to get a DNA sample. No need to get upset. And a lie detector test? This is Old's Cool. We'd all get kicked out if that happened.

I certainly think your bike is priced just fine and appreciate you enduring my personal Spanish Inquisition.. I learned 99.9% of what i know about airheads from the folks here when I did my refreshes a few years ago. That's why I came here for input. I saw enough threads here of people finding surprises that I wanted to get input. I often OCD over the trivial and miss the bigger picture..

Tom
Old 12-21-2011, 03:15 PM   #24
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,610
buy the damned thing, before this post gets ugly and it's sent to JoMamma....
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:21 PM   #25
Havingfun
the road less traveled...

Oddometer: 86
Go For It...

Looks like a good price for a PD... especially for someone who didn't want to own GSes anymore. Good luck with whatever you end up with.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:38 PM   #26
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Gonna Pass on It

I am going to pass on this particular bike. Comments posted in the sellers thread just now about him being annoyed at the "incessant questioning" and the old "Cheapest thing on a BMW" bother me. I am not cheap and am not asking questions that I think anyone spending almost $5K would want to ask to get a feel for a 18-19 year old motorcycle that they can't see in person.

Let someone else annoy the seller. I am out. Thanks for the input. Back to looking for the right bike.

Tom

PS: Lonnie, no need to call me.

From the seller's thread:
------------------------

"This is a heck of a bike but the incessant questioning about it is getting old. I thought all of the old Manhatten Project scientist had passed away. Nope, they are still lurking on ADVrider. You know how I roll. See it, like it, buy it, ride it, put a bunch of money in it, ride it some more, sell at a loss.........repeat. We have to revive the economy and I am doing my part.

Question: "Do you know what the cheapest thing on a BMW is?"

Answer: "The rider"

That one never gets old......or maybe it does.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:59 PM   #27
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,880
Sounds like lstilson had a change of heart and now really wants to keep it.

I can sure understand that! How many times have I decided "I'm not riding the XXXX very much, oughta sell it", only to ride it to make sure everything is working properly and say to hell with it. I'm keeping it!

I think this PD was a good match for you, Tom. Good luck in the search!
Old 12-21-2011, 05:16 PM   #28
lstilson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Probably not serious anyway.

No worries. I was very patient and provided you with all you asked of me and more. If that really put you off, I am sorry but I wouldn't take it that seriously. The BMW joke is older than the hills. Looks like you needed a way out, especially after you said you were buying the bike and sending me the money via paypal. I tell you thank you and mark the bike as sold. Then you reneg and ask me for more documentation, which I provided. I have been a very straight shooter with you and I don't feel like you have extended me the same courtesy. No hard feelings and I mean that sincerely. Just don't try to make me out to be the bad guy here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile View Post
I am going to pass on this particular bike. Comments posted in the sellers thread just now about him being annoyed at the "incessant questioning" and the old "Cheapest thing on a BMW" bother me. I am not cheap and am not asking questions that I think anyone spending almost $5K would want to ask to get a feel for a 18-19 year old motorcycle that they can't see in person.

Let someone else annoy the seller. I am out. Thanks for the input. Back to looking for the right bike.

Tom

PS: Lonnie, no need to call me.

From the seller's thread:
------------------------

"This is a heck of a bike but the incessant questioning about it is getting old. I thought all of the old Manhatten Project scientist had passed away. Nope, they are still lurking on ADVrider. You know how I roll. See it, like it, buy it, ride it, put a bunch of money in it, ride it some more, sell at a loss.........repeat. We have to revive the economy and I am doing my part.

Question: "Do you know what the cheapest thing on a BMW is?"

Answer: "The rider"

That one never gets old......or maybe it does.
lstilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:25 PM   #29
bereahorn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,059
bereahorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:48 PM   #30
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Glad I held back from sending the money via Paypal Lonnie as it just didn't all add up. Sorry if you felt I backed out. I thought our PM's today meant we were all on the same page and we'd work it out once you got home from work. Only to see your comments in your thread.

The issues I had:

- You stated in your for sale ad that you were told by the dealer that the circlip mod had been done to the transmission. But you told me that the receipt just showed gears and/or bearings and labor. A circlip on a 82K mile bike is a big deal to me as this bike is going to Mexico in March. So I was not sure, nor were you, as far as I could tell.

- You stated in your for sale ad that it had an upgraded 400w "motherboard". That was not clear and I wanted to clarify what you meant exactly. You said the dealer where you bought the bike recently told you that but that you did not have a receipt for it. So I asked you to remove the front cover and check. I think that was fair.

- You said it had a top end overhaul and I wanted more details that were not in your ad. You offered to provide that to me when you got home from work. Great. We did discuss this on the phone.

- You said it had a new drive shaft but you told me the receipts said the previous owner provided a drive shaft to the shop and the receipt only showed the labor to install. I wanted to know if it was new, rebuilt, bought used, etc.. You don't know and neither do I.

I guess the sum of all of these things led me to believe I was taking a bigger risk than I intended once I got the input from some of the folks here and additional info from you today on the phone and via PM's. No hard feelings on my part and I agree on the "BMW Owners Are Cheap" comment but I am not one of those people. If you felt my questions were over the top then it was not meant to be.

Moving on.

Tom