Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
^^^Looks like we have a buyer.
fishkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:15 PM   #33
camgregus
riding gently now

Oddometer: 2,997
Someone else buy the darn bike. I always liked the teal even when I saw one on the showroom floor and thought it a strange color for a bike....
Old 12-21-2011, 10:10 PM   #34
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile View Post
I am going to pass on this particular bike. Comments posted in the sellers thread just now about him being annoyed at the "incessant questioning" and the old "Cheapest thing on a BMW" bother me. I am not cheap and am not asking questions that I think anyone spending almost $5K would want to ask to get a feel for a 18-19 year old motorcycle that they can't see in person.

Let someone else annoy the seller. I am out. Thanks for the input. Back to looking for the right bike.

Tom

PS: Lonnie, no need to call me.

From the seller's thread:
------------------------

"This is a heck of a bike but the incessant questioning about it is getting old. I thought all of the old Manhatten Project scientist had passed away. Nope, they are still lurking on ADVrider. You know how I roll. See it, like it, buy it, ride it, put a bunch of money in it, ride it some more, sell at a loss.........repeat. We have to revive the economy and I am doing my part.

Question: "Do you know what the cheapest thing on a BMW is?"

Answer: "The rider"

That one never gets old......or maybe it does.

I think you need to grow some thicker skin,,,,,that bike is a steal anywhere around where I live.

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:02 AM   #35
CurlyMike
Formerly SaddleSoar

Oddometer: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstilson View Post
"Great condition" to CurlyMike probably won't mean what it means to Infracanionphile. He is an engineer and takes this stuff very seriously. $4,750 is too much for a 1993 R100GSPD with the original purchase order, factory manuals, factory bags, both factory fenders, both seats, new tires, and $4,200 in receipts in the last 30K miles? This bike is in better shape than 90% of the PDs out there with 30K original miles. The $4,200 in receipts didn't cover the $600+ Fox shock, the Progressive fork springs, and the rest. That said, I am really impressed with the knowledge of the group as a whole, having ridden airheads since 1979. Coming from someone who got engaged on the first date and married a week later (been married for 26 years now), I am having a bit of trouble coming to grips with all the hubub over a motorcycle purchase.

I will pull the cover off to check the updated electronics, send the vin#, take more pics of the accessories, and read off what the main receipts say for the top end, tranny, clutch, and drive spline, etc. However, if I am asked for a DNA sample or must submit to a lie detector test, I'm out. I can understand due dilgence but I think I can cancel my upcoming colonoscopy, if this bike sells.

I will have to admit, I change bikes almost as much as I change my shorts. Not proud of it. Just true. That said, all this talk has about convinced me that I should actually keep this one around. I did just pick up a vintage Acerbis jacket today that would look smashing with the teal and gravel motif. If I had any hair left, I would grow a nice euro-mullet to match.

Who the HECK are YOU to judge me, you dont know me. It was in GREAT CONDITION. You dont have to be an engineer to take this stuff very seriously.

He asked for opinions and I gave it. Might want to think twice before you question another total strangers integrity.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:13 AM   #36
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,517
Well that didn't go as planned. My daily early morning search of airheads on eBay finds the GS listed there for sale now as well.

If anyone here has any leads on a good R100GS PD (early or late models) please let me know via PM or here in this thread. Would prefer a nice model that is good to go as am working on a Copper Canyon trip in March with friends and would like an old airhead instead of the 950 if possible. Mechanically sound is more critical than looks to me.

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #37
lstilson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Am I taking crazy pills?

I won't be posting on this thread anymore.............I will be attending sensitivity training
lstilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:48 AM   #38
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,058
...not having seen the bike, $4200 isn't outrageous for any PD that's been maintained. There are better steals out there if you can find them and/or don't mind doing the work.
I got mine cheap but put a helluva lot of labor into everything except the motor and driveline.
It sold for $6500 and I didn't even advertise it.

82K is high-ish, but it sounds like it's been gone thru.
One would have to assume that he meant diode board and driveshaft, not to hard to figure out.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:57 AM   #39
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,984
I go by the old saying - 'There's nothing more expensive than a cheap BMW'. In my case I spent the going market value and bought a piece of garbage (no longer the case) - she's now a cream puff. I therefore understand the OP's viewpoint probably more than most.

I would put this behind me, if I was in your shoes and I'm quite sure that the right machine is just around the corner..
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:13 PM   #40
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,936
What Ever...

Seems when I REALLY want something, there's none to be found and especially no good deals. Backing off, taking the pressure off usually 'loosens' things up.

The bikes are out there and will show up. They're not scarce at all really.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:40 PM   #41
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes View Post
What Ever...

Seems when I REALLY want something, there's none to be found and especially no good deals. Backing off, taking the pressure off usually 'loosens' things up.

The bikes are out there and will show up. They're not scarce at all really.
Monolevers are......rares as hen's teeth I tell you..... worth tens of thousands.....
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:29 PM   #42
Toyanvil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,628
I think that is a good deal. It should always hold it's value. The PDs came with low or high front fenders.
My PD has 91,000 miles on it, and I would ride it anywhere.

I would not part with mine for less then $6500.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved. Hell, some of the places I’ve been there weren’t even roads!
Toyanvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:38 PM   #43
darklight79
scaffold builder

Oddometer: 419
a deal at 4000 the tanks worth 1200 the wheels alone another 1000 if it runs or even if it doesnt any gs paralever worth 4000 in parts alone ......
darklight79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:50 PM   #44
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,517
I am not in a hurry. I'd like a project to tinker with (not tear down) for the long winter. But if I don't find one I'll take the 950 to Copper Canyon. My only other bike is a WR426 and that's not going to do it.

I think Lonnie's bike was awesome and his price was fair. He just rubbed me the wrong way and I had had a really tough day at the office on top of it.

Perhaps another one will come along that is not too far away. The green/white color was actually growing on me.

Perhaps if Lonnie and I had just met face to face it would have all worked out.

Tom

PS: I admit I can be an ass at times and that my OCD meticulousness can be off-putting.
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:22 PM   #45
lstilson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Friends?

Tom's a great guy and is a regular contributor to ADVrider. Emails can get stupid and the holidays combined with work are certainly stressful. Tom's right. If we would have met face to face, we would have gotten along famously I'm sure. This thread was a train wreck. I have to admit, I can be an ass too, usually a smart ass. So Tom, I am sorry and you are one of the good guys in my book. Lonnie
lstilson is offline   Reply With Quote