User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
usherd OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Yamaha DT200r Advice/WTB

Hello to all, I just registered today and this is my first post.
Does anyone have a clean, late model (94-96) DT200r for sale? Some friends and I are thinking of attempting the T.A.T. this summer and the DT200r strikes me as a good choice for a relatively inexperienced dirt rider. These bikes are old and so I would, of course, tear down and inspect/rebuild the bike as required. Any leads to a bike or comments by more experienced riders on its suitability would be most welcome.
Thanks,
Usherd in Toronto
usherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:22 AM   #2
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by usherd View Post
Hello to all, I just registered today and this is my first post.
Does anyone have a clean, late model (94-96) DT200r for sale? Some friends and I are thinking of attempting the T.A.T. this summer and the DT200r strikes me as a good choice for a relatively inexperienced dirt rider. These bikes are old and so I would, of course, tear down and inspect/rebuild the bike as required. Any leads to a bike or comments by more experienced riders on its suitability would be most welcome.
Thanks,
Usherd in Toronto
Welcome to the asylm, there is a life time of experince and information on this site.... no leads to a dt200 sorry..

. but a 2smoker on a 2 or 4 thousand mile off road ride... I'm sure a dr200/ wr200/ could be a better choice for the long ride,
the flats will be a killer on a small bike,
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:41 AM   #3
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
I bought a new DT200 in about 1985 or so. I was a little new to bikes at that time but what I found was that the bike would over heat if used for low speed bush work. It never could be fixed by the dealer. I ended up selling it after years of unuse. It didn't have enough power for highway and couldn't do slow stuff so I never figured what good it was. The magazines rated the bike super good thats why I bought it. Never trusted the magazines after that! This report is from a long time ago, the bike could be much improved in later years. I understand it was one of those Europe bikes brought this side of the pond.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:06 AM   #4
H e a d N o r t h
(take the high road)

Oddometer: 945
There's one for sale out West - check out the sticky at the top of the Canada forum...

First Ride...EVER!
Jan. 1, 2012
H e a d N o r t h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:05 PM   #5
00Buck
dirt rules

Oddometer: 196
I own a 96 DT-200RH (195 cc) among other bikes. Mine is bone stock and whisper quiet (76 db) for a 2 smoke.. It is a fun, light 2 stroke machine with strong mid range (electric power valve) and very quick acceleration for a small engine. It will easily pull red line in 6th gear at 140 kmh. Cruise at 100 kmh all day. I've owned it four years and it now has 21K. Changed the original piston recently. I use it mainly for local two tracks, some single track and as an occasional commuter to work. It will overheat on steep, hot single tracks in mid summer. Some have added an electric radiator fan to solve that. It is quite rare and fun to ride, low maintenance and reliable, gets up to 200 km on the 10 L tank... but I doubt it will make a very good adventure touring bike. Unless you are very adventurous!
Old 01-20-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
Spiritwalker2222
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
I think the DT200 would be a great bike for the TAT. A friend has an 85 DT200, it'll overheat in tight single track. But for the TAT that wont be an issue. My friend that has the DT200 is probably doing "The Rock" (Newfoundlan) with me this summer. Plan to make some custom mounts for wolfman luaggage and he should be all set.

My only concern with the DT would be the crappy suspension and smaller ergos.
Spiritwalker2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:09 AM   #7
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker2222 View Post
I think the DT200 would be a great bike for the TAT.
My only concern with the DT would be the crappy suspension and smaller ergos.

I'll disagree with that!

being a 2 smoke motor, the engine wears twice as fast as the 4stroke
being 2 stroke, vibration is twice as bad, bolts will fall out as you go.
being a very light bike will make it a work out just trying to stay up in the wind, after 4000km's you will be completly wiped out. (tired)

after 3 grand of suspension.... it is still a thousand dollar bike and it won't fix the above issues....

imho

i've owned at dt400 and never completed 500km without a wrench...
Old 01-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
Old Fart At Play
Mad about thumpers

Oddometer: 165
Sorry, no leads. I just missed one in Thunder Bay about 2 years ago, it sold about a hour before I got there. Some comments here are about the DT200 ('85 to '88) which are not remotely applicable to the DT200R ('89 to '96 in Canada) a completely different bike. Probably the finest truly street legal enduro ever imported to North America. The suspension was regarded as superb by testers of the day, and the engine was fantastic - as quick as the 650 thumpers. If you are a large rider it may be a bit undersprung for you. Factory claim was 34 hp, 238 lbs dry. Max Burns of Cycle Canada was very impressed. The older DT200 was essentially a typical late 1970's trail bike with a slightly more modern engine.

If you are lucky enough to find one, it would be a fine machine for the TAT. Fuel capacity/range could be an issue. Maintenance shouldn't be a problem, no more than any "enduro" 2 stroke. They certainly weren't as highly tuned as the motocrossers. This same engine was used for many years in an ATV.
Old Fart At Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #9
2Trider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post
I'll disagree with that!

being a very light bike will make it a work out just trying to stay up in the wind, after 4000km's you will be completly wiped out. (tired)

after 3 grand of suspension.... it is still a thousand dollar bike and it won't fix the above issues....

imho

-Motor wears twice as fast laughable
-Vibration ...obvious you have never rode a 89-96 DT200 You know they come with a counterbalancer installed eh
-Wind what wind .....speed limits are maxed at 80-100 and with its slim profile wind does not play with it that much. No its not a hwy401 bike but it will manage.
-Suspension is no different than the 4T DS crap Japan puts out...might say it is better cause of less weight being supported.

One of the best bikes I have/and currently own with over 50 000km between 2 of them.
Even did 600km one day last year and was still rippin to go for more
Smoothest most electric like bike going.

Oh yah ...they are friggin cheap to rebuild 600$ to do bottom end and new top end plus a few extra goodies and a couple of hrs of my time.
Try that with a 4T when the time comes

2Trider screwed with this post 01-20-2012 at 06:41 PM
2Trider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Dunno what the TAT is but I have ridden a DT 200 R. Impressive wee bike, I agree with 2Trider's post.
We have a local "farm" which uses a DT 200 R as a renter to ride on the property, 1000 acres of bush, clay & hills. Admittedly it's had such a hard life it's barely recognisable, the remains of the baby blue plastics give it away. That bike is hammered, it gets kicked straight & off again.
My Dad has a DT 175 with DT 200 R forks, probably the best light weight trailie I have ever ridden.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #11
bchunter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post
I'll disagree with that!

imho

So, if this is the case, then I am downright ludicrous for selling a 2001 BMW GS 1150 for a 1991 Suzuki TS 200 and a 2000 Beta Rev 3 250

But why do I smile more when I ride and have more money in my pocket?
bchunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #12
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

I didn't say it can't be done, 4000 km's off road.. it can be done... so can a Vespa.
I didn't say it wasn't a light fun bike... it absolutly is a fun bike... its a cheap bike, to purchase, to maintain, to ride.

Considering a 2 stroke has a power stroke every time the piston hits TDC... I would only assume it wears more during the power stroke. I'm not talking tranny or clutch.

More carbon build up which chokes up the bike more over time.

In my opinion there are better bikes to do the TAT on. After all this is what we are talking about right?

I'm sure going across the praries, 100's of km's of straight flat wide open runs... The 2 stroke will be a fine bike...

Can it be done... yes sir... go giver..
Best choice for distance travel off road... I don't think so.. countershaft or not..

IMHO....
Old 01-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #13
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,984
The DT 200 is a fantastic and highly underrated machine that kinda fell through the cracks and never gained popularity... I have wrenched on a couple, took them for test rides and came away impressed... Smooth, good power, lighweight and not too bad suspension... Still, they are 2 stroke which means they fire on every TDC and will wear quicker on average than an equivalent use DP 4 stroke {DR 400, KLR,WR 250,KLX 250 and the heavy 650 class bikes}... Also the power Valve drive on these does not look like a high mile item...

The great thing about 2 strokes is their simplicity and lower cost for major service parts, meaning as stated in an above post, much cheaper rebuilds... On the downside, those rebuilds will be needed more frequently... And if or when your top end goes pop in the middle of nowhere on a big trip, suddenly you may be wishing you took the 4 stroke option...

Comparing the 1150 GS to the smaller DP bikes is not really a fair comparison... The 1150 is more of a streetbike which you can ride on gravel...The 1150 weighs about the same as 2 - 200s and is more suited to groomed road long distance touring than gnarly FSRs...

The one exception is the modern day 4 stroke MX bikes, they are tuned to give peak HP output, wear quickly when used for racing and are very costly to maintain... If I was racing and on a budget I would for sure take a MX 2 stroke over the 4...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #14
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
I gave this a bit more thought last night & two things stuck. Petrol & oil. The bike likes lots of both. Which could make it logistically a pain in the ass.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #15
Groundskeeper
n00b

Oddometer: 2
DT200R Advice

In the year 1990, I was looking for a capable off-road bike as my 1981 XR200R was getting tired and I wanted a bike that I could ride on-road from one trail to the next. The only bike that even came close was the DT 200 R which I purchased new that spring and still own today! In 2004 I purchased a CRF250X which I enjoy but my favorite is the DT ! Progressive fork springs and a rear shock fluid and nitrogen change kept me happy with the suspension untill this past summer as the rear is starting to po-go again. For best results with this bike, keep the air filter clean, change oil and always use premium 2 stroke oil (my preference is Golden Spectro 2T). I haven't changed a sparkplug in years. The majority of my riding has been agressive off road (Calaboghie Ontario area) with minor on road jaunts.
All in all a great bike !
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper is offline   Reply With Quote