Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #16
ppe172
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
I gave this a bit more thought last night & two things stuck. Petrol & oil. The bike likes lots of both. Which could make it logistically a pain in the ass.

I own one ('89) and while I can't say anything about 4,000 mile trips on it I can tell you that I get 25 km/litre (71mpg imperial/59mpg US), so a tank should run 250km if you run it dry. The downside is that there is no aftermarket for the bike since it wasn't sold in the U.S. so no large tank is available. The oil consumption isn't bad at all. Since it is oil injected you don't have to mix gas and the oil tank holds more than a litre. I've obviously never run it dry to see how far you can go on a tank but it should go at least 3 tanks on a litre. It will run 120km/hr comfortably, at least the motor is comfortable, this is a light bike for highway use. As for motor longevity I bought mine with 17,000kms showing on it and it still had the original piston in it (which I changed). The speedo cable was broken and the PO had been using it offroad so conceivably the mileage was higher than indicated. I haven't put huge mileage on it but it hasn't had any problems other than when I sunk it under water last summer. Even then we got it started after kicking it for an hour and I drove it an hour home. After I cleaned the carb and airbox out it ran fine again. I have no experience with the TAT but I assume it to be a mix of mild offroad, more difficult offroad, dirt roads and low speed (i.e. not interstate) highways. If that is correct then I think the DT would do fine. Its load carrying capacity is quite high, I can't remember exactly but I can check my manual when I'm home if you want, but I think it is around 430lbs total load. As noted below they don't seem to foul plugs, the only time I've changed it was after the water incident.

Search Kijiji in Ontario for bikes. Does it have to be a '94-'96? I just took a look and there's one in Peterborough that looks OK:

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ317776411

Ed
ppe172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #17
usherd OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Thanks to All

Thanks to all the Forum members who have responded. You have convinced me to keep looking for a DT200r. A really clean '89 was listed recently in my area. I emailed right away but never got a response and the ad was gone the day after it was listed. It would seem good examples of these bikes are much sought after. Another bike I would like would be a Yamaha TDR250 but I understand these bikes are even harder to find.
usherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #18
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppe172 View Post
I gave this a bit more thought last night & two things stuck. Petrol & oil. The bike likes lots of both. Which could make it logistically a pain in the ass.

I own one ('89) and while I can't say anything about 4,000 mile trips on it I can tell you that I get 25 km/litre (71mpg imperial/59mpg US), so a tank should run 250km if you run it dry. The downside is that there is no aftermarket for the bike since it wasn't sold in the U.S. so no large tank is available. The oil consumption isn't bad at all. Since it is oil injected you don't have to mix gas and the oil tank holds more than a litre. I've obviously never run it dry to see how far you can go on a tank but it should go at least 3 tanks on a litre. It will run 120km/hr comfortably, at least the motor is comfortable, this is a light bike for highway use. As for motor longevity I bought mine with 17,000kms showing on it and it still had the original piston in it (which I changed). The speedo cable was broken and the PO had been using it offroad so conceivably the mileage was higher than indicated. I haven't put huge mileage on it but it hasn't had any problems other than when I sunk it under water last summer. Even then we got it started after kicking it for an hour and I drove it an hour home. After I cleaned the carb and airbox out it ran fine again. I have no experience with the TAT but I assume it to be a mix of mild offroad, more difficult offroad, dirt roads and low speed (i.e. not interstate) highways. If that is correct then I think the DT would do fine. Its load carrying capacity is quite high, I can't remember exactly but I can check my manual when I'm home if you want, but I think it is around 430lbs total load. As noted below they don't seem to foul plugs, the only time I've changed it was after the water incident.

Search Kijiji in Ontario for bikes. Does it have to be a '94-'96? I just took a look and there's one in Peterborough that looks OK:

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ317776411

Ed
Fair call. I will temper my comment with "when ridden slowly over technical terrain". They do seem to run on fresh air on the road or faster trails. I've hit reserve on my DT 230 after 95 km
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:35 AM   #19
Kanuck66
n00b

Oddometer: 1
1996 DT 200 for Sale

If you are still looking I have one for sale in BC.
Kanuck66 is offline   Reply With Quote