ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > EMEA
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #16
Le Loup Fou
n00b
 
Le Loup Fou's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Craiova, Romania
Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesperd View Post
Jesper

Hi!
After calculating your program, let me know about wich period will you arrive in Transalpina (or at least Sibiu) region. I could give you some tips about places to see, or even guide you and show you some nice mountain unpaved roads and also take you off-road from Transalpina to the Danube.
If you arrive in Sibiu around 12 june, you will also see the prologue of the Romaniacs rally - wich is on 13.
If it sounds good to you, let me know.


P.S.: 1. For sure Baia Mare region (Sapinta, Certeze, Cavnic etc.) worth a detour. But also dream-like is Siret-Putna-Radauti-Suceava-Gura Humorului-Vatra Dornei region.
2. Even if you take paved roads, try to stay on small roads - it's far more beautifull view.
__________________
www.dracones-rhabon.ro
Rally-raid Romania
Le Loup Fou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #17
zakopiec
n00b
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Poland
Oddometer: 4
I suggest you take a nicer route along polish part of carpathians. Wisit Auschwitz and then head to Krakow. From Krakow take the rout to Zakopane that was suggest a few posts before. From Zakopane you can go along this route up to the border with Ukraine (Kroscienko border crossing). This will let you see beautiful landscapes of Beskidy Mountains. I strongly suggest you AVOID the main (national) road from Krakow to Przemysl and Ukraine. I'll see nothing but trucks and this is a very dangerous road. Instead try to use regional roads - always three digit numbers in Poland. They are of good quality and with less traffic, going thru pitoresque places.
Probably your short of time ad dont want to mess to long in Poland but from Gdynia to Zakopane there are many nice places!

Here is my suggested route in google maps : http://g.co/maps/37rx3 all is asphalt.
It covers a small part of Slovakian territory but you wont even notice you crossed the border...
zakopiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:27 AM   #18
jesperd OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Malmo, Sweden
Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by unudani View Post
Hello ,

When are planning to arrive in Romania, I am from Romania and intend to have a trip on some mountain roads in that period!
We (we'll be two riders) will most likely enter Romania at the Siret border on June 5th. It would be cool to meet you. I will PM you when we get closer to the date.
jesperd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:46 AM   #19
jesperd OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Malmo, Sweden
Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Loup Fou View Post
Hi!
After calculating your program, let me know about wich period will you arrive in Transalpina (or at least Sibiu) region. I could give you some tips about places to see, or even guide you and show you some nice mountain unpaved roads and also take you off-road from Transalpina to the Danube.
If you arrive in Sibiu around 12 june, you will also see the prologue of the Romaniacs rally - wich is on 13.
If it sounds good to you, let me know.


P.S.: 1. For sure Baia Mare region (Sapinta, Certeze, Cavnic etc.) worth a detour. But also dream-like is Siret-Putna-Radauti-Suceava-Gura Humorului-Vatra Dornei region.
2. Even if you take paved roads, try to stay on small roads - it's far more beautifull view.
Thanks for the heads up on the Romaniacs event. I am not sure when we will be in the area, as I have no idea how many kilometers we can do per day. This is the planned route for Romania:


It would be really cool to meet you somewhere. We are two riders. My best guess would be us being in the Transalpina area on about June 9th. I'll PM you when we get a little closer. Thanks for helping.
jesperd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:23 AM   #20
jesperd OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Malmo, Sweden
Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakopiec View Post
I suggest you take a nicer route along polish part of carpathians. Wisit Auschwitz and then head to Krakow. From Krakow take the rout to Zakopane that was suggest a few posts before. From Zakopane you can go along this route up to the border with Ukraine (Kroscienko border crossing). This will let you see beautiful landscapes of Beskidy Mountains. I strongly suggest you AVOID the main (national) road from Krakow to Przemysl and Ukraine. I'll see nothing but trucks and this is a very dangerous road. Instead try to use regional roads - always three digit numbers in Poland. They are of good quality and with less traffic, going thru pitoresque places.
Probably your short of time ad dont want to mess to long in Poland but from Gdynia to Zakopane there are many nice places!

Here is my suggested route in google maps : http://g.co/maps/37rx3 all is asphalt.
It covers a small part of Slovakian territory but you wont even notice you crossed the border...

Thanks a lot for your route suggestion. I did actually change the route a bit from what I originally posted. These are the changes:
  1. A friend on mine is joining me on the trip. He hasn't 100% sorted his bike out, but will most likely be riding a 1150GS of some sort. As much as I like being on my own, it is nice being able to share your adventure with someone.
  2. We're heading directly to Auschwitz on the first day (departing from Copenhagen). This is a little more than 1000 kilometers, but it should be doable. LC8Rider recommended a hotel, I have booked that for a late arrival.
  3. From Auschwitz we would be heading south east towards Zakopane, to end up at Solina and probably staying the night before entering Ukraine (see below). If your route is better, please let me know. I'll change the route accordingly. And I don't mind riding gravel.
As Tatra mountains are part of the Carpaithians, arriving at Zakopane, there won't be any rushing. It's the Copenhagen-Auschwitz leg I want to get done with as quickly as possible.

I went shortly to Zakopane last year, driving through CZ and PL. I really enjoy not having to bother with border crossing formalities. I guess we can thank Schengen for that.

I found this Polish government web site that indicates the current border crossing waiting times, granica.gov.pl. Do you know how reliable that is?

Current planned route through Tatra/Beskid? according to what I found looked best from google earth.



Thanks for helping me!

Jesper
jesperd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #21
zakopiec
n00b
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Poland
Oddometer: 4
IMO dont bother with these estimated wait times at bored crossings - traveling by bike you are always first to go :) I see you changed te route and follow the carpathians on the south side. If you can send me a garmin track/route or google earth file/route I can check the details and maybe suggest something better.
I could make more gravel route but you;ll have enough of it in Ukraine and Romania.
I;m planning a trip to Romania in summer too - can you send me the traks/routes of your planned trip? my email is willard@poczta.fm.

Glad to help... how did you like Zakopane? I was born there :)
zakopiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #22
jesperd OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Malmo, Sweden
Oddometer: 72
zakopiec,

I have sent you a mail with the route attached.

I only spent on day riding through Zakopane (Tatra area, not the city). I really liked the region a lot and I promised myself that I would go there again one day. And that one day will be June 3rd 2012! And if you're there too, let's meet and I'll buy you a beer (or two) in return for all your help! The road from Nowy Targ to Krakow was quite busy, so I didn't see much besides from trucks.

Krakow was nice, great town center and great night life
jesperd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:09 AM   #23
Delirium
Adventurer
 
Delirium's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Kiev, Ukraine
Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesperd View Post
Hi,

Ukraine
This is the part that I know the least about. What I did found out, is that a travelling agency (green-ukraine.com) do arrange ATV tours to the old Polish observatory on the top of Pip Ivan. I figure, if they can take unskilled tourists on ATVs there, it cannot be harcore enduro. Anyone who knows if this is doable? If so, do you know which route to take?
Additionally, I am planning on riding along this mountain range (I don't know its name), but based on Panoramio pictures like this, it should be possible. I hope.

this mountain range - its name is Svydovets mountain http://www.summitpost.org/svydovets/641708

Dragobrat - is another cool place to go! Looks like this: http://touchy-blaze.livejournal.com/263545.html

and near Dragobrat: http://touchy-blaze.livejournal.com/276462.html
Delirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #24
jesperd OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Malmo, Sweden
Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
this mountain range - its name is Svydovets mountain http://www.summitpost.org/svydovets/641708

Dragobrat - is another cool place to go! Looks like this: http://touchy-blaze.livejournal.com/263545.html

and near Dragobrat: http://touchy-blaze.livejournal.com/276462.html
Great info, thanks a lot. Awesome photos you've got on your blog. Do you know if it is even legal to use motorized vehicles those places?
jesperd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:28 AM   #25
Delirium
Adventurer
 
Delirium's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Kiev, Ukraine
Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesperd View Post
Great info, thanks a lot. Awesome photos you've got on your blog. Do you know if it is even legal to use motorized vehicles those places?
In Ukraine you can use motorized vehicles whereever you want :) thats is on the advantages of moto-traveling in Ukraine )) lol

Anyway, you can reach Drahobrat (Dragobrat) Ski Resort only if you ride Endure or motocross -
in winter for example the road up to the Drahobtar look like this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpBlwlsIIyA
Delirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:34 AM   #26
Delirium
Adventurer
 
Delirium's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Kiev, Ukraine
Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesperd View Post
Great info, thanks a lot. Awesome photos you've got on your blog. Do you know if it is even legal to use motorized vehicles those places?
By the way, if you would like to spend a night at Drahobrat you can use this info: http://karpaty.nezabarom.ua/dragobrat/residence/

There a good choice of hotels etc there. But in summer owners of those houses/ hotels have to be informed that you come - because many of them doesnt work in summer (cos there`s not many travellers at that time)
Delirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #27
exotesthrasouden
Adventurer
 
exotesthrasouden's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Germany
Oddometer: 77
Great pictures Delirium. Glad to hear there is a bit fewer regulations in Ukraine. Your country looks amazing.
__________________
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. ~T.S. Eliot

- 2009 BMW F800GS
exotesthrasouden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:23 PM   #28
Delirium
Adventurer
 
Delirium's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Kiev, Ukraine
Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by exotesthrasouden View Post
Great pictures Delirium. Glad to hear there is a bit fewer regulations in Ukraine. Your country looks amazing.
Thanks! Here are some other beautiful places in Ukrainian Carpathians: http://touchy-blaze.livejournal.com/...B0%D1%82%D1%8B

If some of the places has interested you - I will tell its name in english and show its location ;)
Delirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #29
Mifune
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Mifune's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Berkeley, CA
Oddometer: 493
I'll be covering some of the same route, though a couple of weeks later. Let's keep in touch.

http://bit.ly/wufDbW
__________________
2013 Ducati 1199 R
2012 KTM 500 EXC
2005 KTM 640 Adventure

Φίλα μου τον κώλο.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #30
jesperd OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Malmo, Sweden
Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
If some of the places has interested you - I will tell its name in english and show its location ;)
Great stuff, Delirium, thanks!

This looks really nice. http://touchy-blaze.livejournal.com/276462.html Do you know how to get there by bike?
jesperd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014