ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > EMEA
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2012, 07:53 PM   #31
jesperd OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Malmo, Sweden
Oddometer: 72
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws626 View Post
I'll be covering some of the same route, though a couple of weeks later. Let's keep in touch.

http://bit.ly/wufDbW
Yes, let's keep in touch, it sounds we have lots of route preferences in common. It's a very nice trip plan you've got.
jesperd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:18 AM   #32
Delirium
Adventurer
 
Delirium's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Kiev, Ukraine
Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesperd View Post
Great stuff, Delirium, thanks!

This looks really nice. http://touchy-blaze.livejournal.com/276462.html Do you know how to get there by bike?
from Yasinia(A) to Drahobrat ski resort (Dragobrat) following gps http://maps.google.ru/maps?saddr=%D0...mra=ls&t=m&z=8 or if you ask anyone in Yasinia - they will show you the turn up to Drahobrat

On those pics (http://touchy-blaze.livejournal.com/276462.html"]http://touchy-blaze.livejournal.com/276462.html) we are at the top on the mountain Bliznytsya

maybe this will help you with some mountains routes http://2011.expeditiongreenthorn.com...gobrat-Yasinya
Delirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #33
jesperd OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Malmo, Sweden
Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
maybe this will help you with some mountains routes http://2011.expeditiongreenthorn.com...gobrat-Yasinya
Delirium, sorry for haven't replied earlier, I am currently travelling (work, no bike :-s).

This route looks really awesome. We will definitely give that a try. You input is really appreciated. I can't wait to return from my work trip to update the route.

Anything else that is good to know about motorcycle travelling in Ukraine, and the Carpathians in particular, you can think of?
jesperd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:00 AM   #34
Delirium
Adventurer
 
Delirium's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Kiev, Ukraine
Oddometer: 74
To advice you some roads - i need to know where exactly do you go after crossing UA border? Whats is your final destination in Ukraine or after Ukraine ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesperd View Post
Delirium, sorry for haven't replied earlier, I am currently travelling (work, no bike :-s).

This route looks really awesome. We will definitely give that a try. You input is really appreciated. I can't wait to return from my work trip to update the route.

Anything else that is good to know about motorcycle travelling in Ukraine, and the Carpathians in particular, you can think of?
Delirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #35
jesperd OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Malmo, Sweden
Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
To advice you some roads - i need to know where exactly do you go after crossing UA border? Whats is your final destination in Ukraine or after Ukraine ?
We enter UA at the Kroscienko border crossing from Poland. The plan is to just ride along some nice roads in the Carpathians into Romania. There's a couple of border crossings, the busiest, I think, is Siret, so we will probably try Sighetu Marmatiei first.

I did want to ride up Pip/Pop Ivan, but that is secondary, particular with your suggestion on the Greenthorne mountain route.

Besides from that, we just want to enjoy the ride...

If you know towns in the area worth visiting, to get a place to sleep, grab dinner and a beer. Is it safe to camp (wild or not)?
jesperd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:03 AM   #36
Delirium
Adventurer
 
Delirium's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Kiev, Ukraine
Oddometer: 74
So you need to get from A to B http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Us...mra=ls&t=m&z=8 ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesperd View Post
We enter UA at the Kroscienko border crossing from Poland. The plan is to just ride along some nice roads in the Carpathians into Romania. There's a couple of border crossings, the busiest, I think, is Siret, so we will probably try Sighetu Marmatiei first.

I did want to ride up Pip/Pop Ivan, but that is secondary, particular with your suggestion on the Greenthorne mountain route.

Besides from that, we just want to enjoy the ride...

If you know towns in the area worth visiting, to get a place to sleep, grab dinner and a beer. Is it safe to camp (wild or not)?
Delirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #37
BlackSide
Mountains Explorer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Lviv, Ukraine
Oddometer: 26
Hi jesperd,

few general recommendations about Ukraine.
There are are plenty of places to stay in Ukraine Carpatians. Almost in every village there is a house where you can have a good rest with dinner and breakfast. Prices varies from 10-15 EUR per night for a person. Hotels usually more expensive.
One of the best sites to find a place for a night is: http://www.karpaty.info/en/.

As only you know particular route in mind search for a places in that region. Usually no reservation is needed, except for tourists villigies during weekends.I can assist in searching for viligies were it is better to stay for a night. when you will have final route.

Off road traveling in mountains. As someone mentioned you can ride wherever you want. There are plenty of roads across Ukrainian Carpathians which allow to cut corners and receive good scenery. Everything depends on you and your bike. It is actually possible to plan course which will contain 50-80% of the off-road. If you will be more specific how much time do you want to spend crawling mountains on a bike - I can suggest few beautiful mountain ranges.
Site with 1cm:1km topo maps of the Ukraine: http://map.karabin.com.ua/
Can greatly help if you planing off-road.

I could create list of interesting places around Ukraine Carpathian mountains in few days. Just let me know how many time do you want to spend, and what adventures are you looking for.
BlackSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:23 PM   #38
jesperd OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Malmo, Sweden
Oddometer: 72
Hey BlackSide, Delirium,

Thanks a lot for your help.

This is the route that we have been looking at so far. The green and blue parts are what I believe is offroad, purple is just a backup route if the offroad doesn't work for us. Red is just roads found on Garmin Basecamp.



I think we will spend about 3 days in Ukraine, not exactly sure how many kilometers we can do per day. We will probably enter Ukraine on a Monday, so I'm glad to hear that we don't need reservations as I don't know where we will be and when. We do plan on bringing tents, just in case we get stuck somewhere. Is it safe to wild camp?

This will be the first week of June, so if any of you are in the area at that time, let's see if we can meet. I think I owe you guys a beer!
jesperd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:39 AM   #39
unudani
n00b
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Bucharest
Oddometer: 6
Hello Jesperd,

I suggest when approaching Brasov , Romania to take the following commercial route between Transilvania and Muntenia,according to the attachment :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMpd_i0joAQ

The old commercial route is no longer in use and it is an old alpine road, with sections of forrest, water crossing.
The route starts at min.2.00

I will also try to sketch the route on google earth and upload it to you!

In May I will check the route out to see wether is worth as detour or not.

Best regards,

Daniel Mocanu
unudani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #40
jesperd OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Malmo, Sweden
Oddometer: 72
Daniel,

Great video. I like the start of it. It made me laugh. Thanks for sharing. This route looks like a good challenge. If the weather is good, I think we'd want to take this. If it is raining, it looks like it gets very muddy and slippery.

I'm not sure I can find the route on the map, so if you wouldn't mind drawing the route on Google Earth, that would be really helpful.

Regards,
Jesper
jesperd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:22 AM   #41
Delirium
Adventurer
 
Delirium's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Kiev, Ukraine
Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesperd View Post
Hey BlackSide, Delirium,
I wouldnt advice to get stuck up in the mountains of Carpathians )) even in summer the weather can change quickly - get cold and even snowy...

You surely can go wild camping far in the mountains of Ukrainian Carpathians, we love wild capming in mountains too and its safe.
But it can get really cold at night.. like 0 or minus - 5 etc; so u better get warm sleeping bags ;)
Delirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:58 AM   #42
unudani
n00b
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Bucharest
Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesperd View Post
Daniel,

Great video. I like the start of it. It made me laugh. Thanks for sharing. This route looks like a good challenge. If the weather is good, I think we'd want to take this. If it is raining, it looks like it gets very muddy and slippery.

I'm not sure I can find the route on the map, so if you wouldn't mind drawing the route on Google Earth, that would be really helpful.

Regards,
Jesper
Hi Jesper,

In order to answer some questions regarding the route I have proposed:
-the highest altitude of the route is 1300 meters
-one can not get snow during summer at this altitude
-it is not a hard enduro route, it is an old commercial road between Muntenia and Transilvania built by the romans, at the Tabla Butii point there are the ruins of a old fortress dated first in year 1211-1255 when it was rebuilt by Teuton Knights and reconstructed in the 16 th century from the orders of a austrian general which also served as a custom point for the trade between Muntenia and Transilvania
-for sure you can find mud portions
-the length of the route is approx 35 km and I believe it can be done in one day, in order not to stay over night(there are a few places where you can get accomodation/bed and breakfast)

I have also sketched a map on Google Earth, a bit inaccurate since I am in a hurry.

I will try to send a pm with it!

Back to work!

br,

Daniel
unudani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #43
BlackSide
Mountains Explorer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Lviv, Ukraine
Oddometer: 26
Hi jesperd,

could you please post a google map without satelite images. It's quite hard to understand which roads you are planing to use and suggest alternatives. Simple map with roads or link to the actual route in google will help.

BTW, if you don't mind I could join in your ride for a day or two while you will be traveling throu Ukrainian Carpathians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesperd View Post
Hey BlackSide, Delirium,

Thanks a lot for your help.

This is the route that we have been looking at so far. The green and blue parts are what I believe is offroad, purple is just a backup route if the offroad doesn't work for us. Red is just roads found on Garmin Basecamp.

I think we will spend about 3 days in Ukraine, not exactly sure how many kilometers we can do per day. We will probably enter Ukraine on a Monday, so I'm glad to hear that we don't need reservations as I don't know where we will be and when. We do plan on bringing tents, just in case we get stuck somewhere. Is it safe to wild camp?

This will be the first week of June, so if any of you are in the area at that time, let's see if we can meet. I think I owe you guys a beer!
BlackSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:31 AM   #44
jesperd OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Malmo, Sweden
Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSide View Post
Hi jesperd,

could you please post a google map without satelite images. It's quite hard to understand which roads you are planing to use and suggest alternatives. Simple map with roads or link to the actual route in google will help.

BTW, if you don't mind I could join in your ride for a day or two while you will be traveling throu Ukrainian Carpathians.
It would be really great to ride with you. We're planning on entering Ukraine from Poland at the Kroscienko (PL) crossing on Monday, June 4th in the morning.

I will send you a PM with a link to a Google Earth KML file so you can see the route in detail. I will do that tonight or tomorrow.

Jesper
jesperd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:24 AM   #45
pip_muenster
curious
 
pip_muenster's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany
Oddometer: 410
If you come anywhere near it, check out the Bear Cave at: 46.553N 22.569E
One of the most impressing dripstone caves ever - providing it hasn't been destroyed yet. More info here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=17
__________________
Reports: Nordkapp - Mt. St. Helen - Black Sea - Iceland - Morocco - new: Balkan
pip_muenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014