Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
Rwelch360 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Guidance on trip planning (Western New York, Upstate New York)

I was looking for a little help in planning a series of smaller trips around Western New York. I just got a DRZ400 and my motorcycle permit. Was looking to plan a series of small trips, some about 50 or so miles, then some that are about 100 miles and some that are 150miles and so on. I was hoping to make all the trips avoid highways, take some paved roads and some unpaved roads and trials. I wanted to try and get some seat time on different terrains and then hopefully finish it up with a good adventure, do a little camping etc. I don't know how to go about planning any trips. What maps do you use, and also how do you find roads that aren't paved to ride on? I am also looking at buying a GPS to put on my bike. Any help would be great!!
Rwelch360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
Jeff Galt
back in the saddle..

Oddometer: 5
So, were you successful in getting out on some trips with your DRZ this past year?

I picked up a DR-Z400S this past Sept. and have had a blast just exploring all the dirt roads I can find near Naples/Springwater.

I use Garmin Basecamp software to pick out the dirt roads. It's also fun to find the abandoned roads to see if they are still passable. Trespassing adds a little excitement!

Touch base in the spring if you are still interested in riding in the southern tier...
Jeff Galt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
Happycamper
Have bikes, will travel

Oddometer: 560
Thumb Jimapco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwelch360 View Post
I was looking for a little help in planning a series of smaller trips around Western New York. I just got a DRZ400 and my motorcycle permit. Was looking to plan a series of small trips, some about 50 or so miles, then some that are about 100 miles and some that are 150miles and so on. I was hoping to make all the trips avoid highways, take some paved roads and some unpaved roads and trials. I wanted to try and get some seat time on different terrains and then hopefully finish it up with a good adventure, do a little camping etc. I don't know how to go about planning any trips. What maps do you use, and also how do you find roads that aren't paved to ride on? I am also looking at buying a GPS to put on my bike. Any help would be great!!
These guys make great paper maps:http://www.jimapco.com/store/

Some have the right scale to ID unpaved roads and all of their maps are good at showing attractions, points of interest.

2007 G650 Xchallenge
2009 F800GS
Happycamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
Rwelch360 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Galt View Post
So, were you successful in getting out on some trips with your DRZ this past year?

I picked up a DR-Z400S this past Sept. and have had a blast just exploring all the dirt roads I can find near Naples/Springwater.

I use Garmin Basecamp software to pick out the dirt roads. It's also fun to find the abandoned roads to see if they are still passable. Trespassing adds a little excitement!

Touch base in the spring if you are still interested in riding in the southern tier...
Sorry for the delay in responding. Sometimes I can be pretty forgetful to check back on some posts.
Regarding riding the DRZ, I did ride around a bit. Mostly a loop around where I live, taking lake rd. and going both east and west. I mostly just ride it to work which puts me on 104, 590 and 390. Not my favorite, but at least I was riding. I don't have a GPS but am looking into buying one. I have traveled down to naples to meet some people from the WNY & fingerlakes thread. I heard naples is a good area to ride. Would love to go exploring around there. Enjoy your DRZ. I know I love mine.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
Rwelch360 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycamper View Post
These guys make great paper maps:http://www.jimapco.com/store/

Some have the right scale to ID unpaved roads and all of their maps are good at showing attractions, points of interest.
Thanks for the help. I think I saw that brand map at staples. I have not purchased a map yet but I really should. It would help with making some routes to ride.