Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2011, 03:07 AM   #16
badbowie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Hmmm thinking about it, may try from Sawtell next year with some roo whistles mounted to my bike.......
badbowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:36 AM   #17
Fogo72
I Bleed Green

Oddometer: 1,492
Gopro footage

Here is a short video of this years Longest day ride 2011.

Click on the link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq1Kf..._order&list=UL

Cheers Fogo......
Fogo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #18
Crutchy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt71 View Post
Now thats an adventure . i want to ride with with you 1 day tom . lots of random shit happens when your on a ride
No you dont ! he he
Crutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #19
Fogo72
I Bleed Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by 620rossco View Post
This year's crash was really scary and I am pissed I was forced to DNF.
However I try to make a point of finishing everything I start.
Yeah well , pretty dissapointed at my pathetic effort last year, chose to get lost instead of stopping for 5 mins and read the map cost my big time. This year I'm not going to team up with anyone, its something you have to do alone others can hold you up if they are not comfortable travelling at your speed.
If my boss gives me off 3 Christmas's off in a row I'll be there.
Cheers Fogo
Old 01-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #20
gateman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
OK so I have questions I'm sure others would also like to know.

Date ? yep I know the longest day and all but dates a help.

Start time ? and finish time? (I ask because the vid from Fogo shows a start thats already well lit up)

Prefered start location's ? Is ther places along the coast other than Coffs area. What about a Vic or SA start point?
What do those from QLD do for a start place.

The first three questions will do for now so those of us new to the "longest day" can have a place to plan from.

cheers
gateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #21
Tfos1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by gateman View Post

Start time ? and finish time? (I ask because the vid from Fogo shows a start thats already well lit up)

Preferredstart locations: Is ther places along the coast other than Coffs area. What about a Vic or SA start point?

The first three questions will do for now so those of us new to the "longest day" can have a place to plan from.

cheers
Date: December 21

Start time: It varies by a minute or two each year. Check the Bureau Of Met or another reliable site for the start time as the date approaches. It's important to know the time, because it's not "first light" which happens quite a bit earlier, and we've had a few years where the cloud prevented us seeing the rim of the sun's disc.

Finish time: Same as above. Check sunset time at the places you hope to be...Merty Merty, for instance.

Start locations: Entirely up to you. There's a group that starts from Sawtell Headland and follows a set route because that's the way we've done it for the last seven years. Those of in that group are chasing a distance set from Sawtell Headland, but the challenge is there no matter where you start and what route you're on. The very first Longest Day actually started from Byron Bay.

TF
Tfos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #22
gateman
Beastly Adventurer

Cheers for that TF.

I had been aware of the first light or by the bureau but did'nt know which it was.

The maths for a straight line via the shortest route on google from the Coffs Coast shows 1432k's.
So
would it be fair to say If I found another route from SA/Vic coast of the same distance or greater that it would be OK?

Obviousely an east coast start would have the sun/ daylight duration advantage.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:52 PM   #23
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfos1 View Post
Date: December 21

TF

But this website I was looking at said the longest day of the year it the 22nd of December.

Just keeping with tradition.
tHEtREV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #24
Tfos1
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
But this website I was looking at said the longest day of the year it the 22nd of December.

Just keeping with tradition.
And where do you get an entry, right?, Good stuff!
Old 01-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #25
Tfos1
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Cheers for that TF.

I had been aware of the first light or by the bureau but did'nt know which it was.

The maths for a straight line via the shortest route on google from the Coffs Coast shows 1432k's.
So
would it be fair to say If I found another route from SA/Vic coast of the same distance or greater that it would be OK?

Obviousely an east coast start would have the sun/ daylight duration advantage.
It would be fair to say that if you're out there riding on December 21, chasing the sun west, it really doesn't matter where you start or where you finish. Being there and facing the challenge is what the whole thing is all about. The distance and route are just a couple of ways of measuring and comparing. They're not the only way.

If you tackle it, only you can judge your success...unless you poop-hole your bike 100km west of Bourke because you didn't do your preparation properly. You don't need much of a yardstick to measure your performance in that case.

TF
Old 01-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #26
Fogo72
I Bleed Green

Quote:

Prefered start location's ? Is ther places along the coast other than Coffs area. What about a Vic or SA start point?

cheers
Yes well there is a reason why the location and date was left of the video. the day the cops are waiting for us along the Guyra rd will be the day a lot of guys will be walking to work for a very long time.

Fogo72 screwed with this post 01-15-2012 at 02:33 AM
Old 01-14-2012, 10:53 PM   #27
gateman
Beastly Adventurer

?
Old 01-14-2012, 11:21 PM   #28
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfos1 View Post
And where do you get an entry, right?, Good stuff!
Well of course they will have to send the $150 entry fee to me (PM me for bank account details) And you can send an application form to Tom.

We have run out of the first run of application forms, so just E mail, or write down on a piece of paper and send, your full name, Bike details, MA License number (If you don't have one, an extra $50 on top of the entrance fee will secure you a one day licence), along with your preferred "race" number (this will be used for tracking, and so the fans that line the route know who they just saw speed by at or below the speed limit), and valid credit card information.

The credit card information will only be used as a security deposit (for border crossings and such, because at Cameron Corner, you can cross three boarders in a short walk), alternatively for an additional $100 we can supply you with an "unrestricted border pass" that will get you access to all three states without having to give the border guards your credit card details.

If there are any questions, can you please direct them to Tom, as I will unfortunately be back home in Nigeria at the time of the “event”.

Good luck, and remember, the first lot of forms have all been taken, so entries are filling fast!

So be quick!
Old 01-26-2012, 02:07 AM   #29
Crutchy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
Well of course they will have to send the $150 entry fee to me (PM me for bank account details) And you can send an application form to Tom.

We have run out of the first run of application forms, so just E mail, or write down on a piece of paper and send, your full name, Bike details, MA License number (If you don't have one, an extra $50 on top of the entrance fee will secure you a one day licence), along with your preferred "race" number (this will be used for tracking, and so the fans that line the route know who they just saw speed by at or below the speed limit), and valid credit card information.

The credit card information will only be used as a security deposit (for border crossings and such, because at Cameron Corner, you can cross three boarders in a short walk), alternatively for an additional $100 we can supply you with an "unrestricted border pass" that will get you access to all three states without having to give the border guards your credit card details.

If there are any questions, can you please direct them to Tom, as I will unfortunately be back home in Nigeria at the time of the “event”.

Good luck, and remember, the first lot of forms have all been taken, so entries are filling fast!

So be quick!
Nice one trev how bout u issue the border crossing passes at the big gate ( Cameron Corner) get out there this year mate.
Crutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:00 AM   #30
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Do you think society would ever forgive me if I did that?