Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2012, 04:02 AM   #46
Uncle Crumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
I have the time off and still tossing up between the NTX or the KTM, fuel range and availability on the way home is my concern, thinking of heading out from Brissy and taking a few days exploring and then home. What's the deal with fuel at CC on Xmas eve, are they open?
Old 10-15-2012, 06:45 AM   #47
Pom
Old fart on big bike

Oddometer: 157
Rooms at the Corner

For those thinking about doing the ride or part of it.

As of this arvo four of us had booked rooms at the Corner, so there are few left, but not that many.

If you think you will get there I would definitely advise making the phone call, unless of course you want to ride half way across the country a end up sleeping in the dust next to your bike.

See you there soon
pom
Old 10-16-2012, 12:02 AM   #48
Sean-0
straya carnt

Oddometer: 4,299
there is some nice green grass there .. funny tho .. its just down hill from the toilets ..for the life of me i cant understand why its so green when the rest is so brown
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:32 AM   #49
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-0 View Post
... i cant understand why its so green when the rest is so brown
Last time I was there it was more RED than brown...

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:52 AM   #50
Crutchy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Good to see there is a few tyre kickers at the moment the more the merrier its a great way to finnish the year .
Crutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:22 AM   #51
TB650
Would be Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
4 old bulls in

There are four of us doing it, three starting from Windsor 2 x Teneres and a DR. Other is a KTM 450 from Blaxland. 3 of us have rooms booked and are looking forward it, aiming for the Yellow Bus maybe unless we get to the corner and the desire for a is to much

TB
Old 10-16-2012, 11:21 PM   #52
sean_syd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
anyone thinking of taking 2 days to get there?

Is anyone thinking of breaking tradition and taking 2 days to get there and maybe 1.5 to get back?

Bit more of an opportunity to stuff around on the way there (no nasty surprises). 1.5 days to get back just incase it takes a bit longer.

I'm in wollongong... I could head west through the bush to oberon then keep heading west then up the silver city highway or up through white cliffs or head up via sydney then maybe up through wismans ferry through the bush to jerrys plains. (massive dirt ride) apparently from there its dirt all the way to the corner.

Sean - DR650
sean_syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:24 AM   #53
Fogo72
I Bleed Green

Oddometer: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_syd View Post
Is anyone thinking of breaking tradition and taking 2 days to get there and maybe 1.5 to get back?

Bit more of an opportunity to stuff around on the way there (no nasty surprises). 1.5 days to get back just incase it takes a bit longer.

I'm in wollongong... I could head west through the bush to oberon then keep heading west then up the silver city highway or up through white cliffs or head up via sydney then maybe up through wismans ferry through the bush to jerrys plains. (massive dirt ride) apparently from there its dirt all the way to the corner.

Sean - DR650
Not planning on taking two days to get there, but thats what will prob happen. Week to get back.
Might be Christmas on the Stock route at Bourke. Gotta beat my personal best of Carinda and learn not to take detours and take the longest way on the longest day.

Fogo...
Fogo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:16 PM   #54
sean_syd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
bump

bumping the thread...

So theres no one out there thats keen on a 2 day ride out to the corner?

Starting wollongong or sydney

I cant think of a better time for a big bash to the corner..

Sean - DR650
sean_syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:12 AM   #55
wairau
richie

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_syd View Post
bumping the thread...

So theres no one out there thats keen on a 2 day ride out to the corner?

Starting wollongong or sydney

I cant think of a better time for a big bash to the corner..

Sean - DR650
my dec roster doesnt come out till nov 20, so cant make any serious plans till then. leaving from sunbury, vic.

fingers crossed!
wairau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:47 AM   #56
Uncle Crumpet
Studly Adventurer

doing a trail run tommorrow to St George and back to work out my averages!
Old 11-06-2012, 01:23 AM   #57
Uncle Crumpet
Studly Adventurer

Ok, so I can do St George in 5 hours, all good. Joe Watsons excellent report allows 3.5 for the hard stuff, can anyone give me an estimate on what I should allow for thargomindah to the corner?
Old 11-06-2012, 03:51 AM   #58
grrant1058
Motorcyclist 24/7

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Crumpet View Post
Ok, so I can do St George in 5 hours, all good. Joe Watsons excellent report allows 3.5 for the hard stuff, can anyone give me an estimate on what I should allow for thargomindah to the corner?
Looking at my notes from my crack at the LDR on an XT660Z, left Thargo at 3.05pm and arrived at the Corner 7.05pm = 4 hours on the dot. That included refuelling at Noccundra = 15 to 20 minutes, missing a turn off and losing about 15 minutes plus waiting for Joe for about 5 minutes. Even without those last two glitches, I would allow minimum 4 hours.

After a real long day in the saddle in extreme heat, it is easy to get a bit trigger happy and turn off at the first thing that looks like it might be the right track (actually I went past the sign heading west thinking I was going in the correct direction and just plain got it wrong).

So have a real good look at how many km's the turn off is from Noccundra, and don't get confused when you are 5 km's short of the mark and you see some other turn off. There are a number of tracks heading off to various oil wells. Then I think it is 13 km's after the first turn off that you turn again to the left - the sign post is HUGE.

When it is this hot (50.5) and you are really tired, it is easy to make mistakes.

Cheers - Ron
grrant1058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:17 AM   #59
Joe Watson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,030
Going from my report here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=539744

I got into Thargomindah at 2:04, left Nocundra at 3:17pm but then had my stack and made it into the corner at 7:08pm.
Joe Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:56 AM   #60
Crutchy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Rite you lot stop scratching your balls an get the bike ready its only 5 weeks away this friday . For those of you that are not sure Sawtell headland at 5 ish for a 5.35 ish start when the sun pops over the ocean TF is the official time keeper u then go west as far as u and your mate can before the big orange ball dissapears then head for the nearest watering hole , Its not a 2 day ride out there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Crutchy is offline   Reply With Quote