Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #46
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
This may help

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
You lucky dog-----------I've been plotting to ride this road along the Mexican border for years.
Rode down there once--and was turned away in Ajo---as they said motorcycles weren't allowed.

I've called them several times since-----and would get conflicting answers to whether or not I could ride my motorcycle across the preserve.

Then the one final pisser 2 years later----I got an OK from some lady there over the phone and I thought---alright I'm finally going to get to ride it ----and right before I left I called again to confirm and she still said it was OK---but wait she said---let me talk to my supervisor---------who then turned me down.

Man was I aggravated-glad you got to-------hope you got good pics

BigDog
http://www.fws.gov/southwest/refuges...WR.5.18.11.pdf
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #47
Nightstalker
YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer: 5,914
Thanks for the report. Got a ride planned for next month with EsconDeasy.

North American
Ride Report Index and GPX files at:

NSRides.com

Nightstalker rides North America 2007

snug htiw swoC
Nightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #48
Xskydiver OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
How many miles of this route would you say was in deep sand?
That's a tough question. When you're in it and struggling it seems to go on forever. The sand on the refuge has a lot of twists and turns so it makes it hard to keep enough speed. The refuge is a lot harder than the Goldwater Range. The Goldwater seems straighter so you can fly across the sand. The whole ride is 125 miles more or less so I'd guess the tough sand is maybe ten miles if you add it all up. Sorry to be vague.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #49
BigBeemerBob
Just call me "Beemer Bob"

Oddometer: 103
Great report and great pictures.

I'm planning to do this next month (mid Feb '12). I will need to slowly re-read this report several times. Can you sugest any other reading material?

Are there any detail maps available?

Do you have GPS tracks you would be willing to share?
Old 01-05-2012, 04:47 AM   #50
Xskydiver OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeemerBob View Post
Great report and great pictures.

I'm planning to do this next month (mid Feb '12). I will need to slowly re-read this report several times. Can you sugest any other reading material?

Are there any detail maps available?

Do you have GPS tracks you would be willing to share?
I would suggest googling it. That's what I did. The Jeep guys have been doing this for years and there are some pretty good reports out there. I found mile marker and GPS list for points of interest as well as some good historical stories. One of the best maps is free from the Goldwater Range. On that side there are 4x4 posts about eight feet tall with red tops marking intersections. They are all numbered but mean nothing without the Goldwater map.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #51
Xskydiver OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok, Hopefully I can get this finished up.

After the High Tanks, it was already mid morning. We decided to beeline it to town (Foothills). On the way there I got some more lessons in sand riding. There were more straight sections so I could keep enough speed to keep the front on top of the sand. I also decided to lower the tire pressure (now there's an idea!!) It took about a minute and a half to see the enormous benefit of the lower pressure. The front no longer tried to dig into the side of every rut. If I kept it at about 45mph or so, I hardly noticed the sand. The down side is that you have to turn sometime. Anyway...we made it to town without incident. We didn't take any pictures on the way to town but we crossed paths with several groups out enjoying the area. Alan even found a ratchet strap on the trail that someone lost (it would prove useful later).

We found a little mom and pop fish and chips place on the main drag. Either it was REALLY good or I was REALLY hungry. I can still remember the first sip of Dr. Pepper after having only water for two days.

After lunch and a quick stop for refueling and restocking we headed back out for the return trip. Our "plan" such as it was, was to cut a general Northeast track across the range and see what there was to see.

Our first stop was the La Fortuna Mine. It has a pretty interesting history. There are a few crumbling structures left there.

Among the best was this water reservoir. Here it is from below.

Here it is from above.

Here's a closeup.

Xskydiver screwed with this post 12-01-2012 at 09:29 AM
Xskydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #52
Xskydiver OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We were looking for Cipriano Pass and I turned down what I thought was it...

It wasn't...

The picture was somewhat posed in that Alan was disappoint I had gotten up before he could get a pic so I was glad to lay back down while he took one. I could have laid there for quite a while. Just when I thought I was getting the hang of this sand thing.

At this point Alan mentioned a technique of keeping on the throttle through the corners and just tapping the rear brake to turn. WTF Alan! Now you tell me! This would not be my only fall today.

Xskydiver screwed with this post 12-01-2012 at 09:30 AM
Old 01-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #53
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Enjoying more of your RR -- thanks, Xskydiver!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:52 PM   #54
Xskydiver OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We doubled back and found the actual pass one turn farther East than I thought. We were planning to camp somewhere in the middle of the pass but we didn't like the potential spots. About halfway through the pass we ran into another agent pulling a drag. I was glad to see him because it meant the road would be sweet everywhere he dragged. He wanted to stop and chat so we did. When he started asking us about permits and stuff we excused ourselves and rode on. We spent longer than expected looking for a campsite, riding in and out of a few different turnoffs until we found a pretty nice spot on the back side of Raven Butte.

Here's where the day got interesting...

As we pulled into the campsite and started unloading the bikes I noticed Alan had taken one of his side cases off. I thought back to a short conversation we had earlier about the pros and cons of hard bags vs soft luggage. I have never had hard bags and mentioned to Alan that I had read they could catch the back of your leg while dipping a foot and possibly cause injury. He said he'd never had that happen and thought the bags were high enough for it not to be an issue. I mentioned one of the pros being you could take the bags off while camping and use them as a chair or table. I figured he had taken the bag off for that. I said something like "I guess you decided to take the bags off tonight?" He looked a little confused..."What?". I then realized what had happened. "you're missing a bag". Now, before I could even say "what do you want to do?", Alan had already dropped his stuff jumped back on the bike and sped off to go find it.

So...there I was...sun setting quickly...in the middle of nowhere...alone. Given the proximity to the border and remoteness, not exactly a comfortable place. What to do...What to do...We didn't have a plan for this. I figured he'd be right back. The case must have fallen off down one of the turnoffs we'd explored looking for a campsite. I just sat down and waited...and waited...and waited...an hour went by...then another...where was he? Was he lost? Did he crash? Should I go look for him? What to do...what to do...

I finally decided to stay put. If I left and we missed each other then we'd really be screwed. I figured he was a big boy and a better rider than me so I'd just stay put and if for some reason he wasn't back by morning I'd go look for him then. It was a couple of hours past sunset when I finally heard the familiar sound of Alan's KTM. I was surprised when he had both cases on. I don't know how he found it in the dark. Remember that ratchet strap he found earlier?

Here it is...Fate..? Maybe just good luck.

Here's where we camped the second night.

That's about it. We kept angling Northeast until we hit pavement, gassed up, aired up, had a good lunch at another small steakhouse, and headed back to Ajo on the pavement. I was gone from my house almost exactly 60 hours and put about 730 miles on. It was a pretty great run.

Until next time...

Xskydiver screwed with this post 12-01-2012 at 09:32 AM
Old 01-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #55
motowest
Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,249
Cool report. Looks like a good place to explore!
motowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:40 AM   #56
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
You werent kidding that sand is deep. Great report.
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #57
FirstMan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Good report. Will you ever do it again?
Old 01-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #58
PinkPillion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Funny stuff xskydiver. Great report. Thanks for sharing.
PinkPillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #59
Xskydiver OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstMan View Post
Good report. Will you ever do it again?
It might become an annual event.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #60
azwheelin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Thanks for the report. Looked like alot of fun.
azwheelin is offline   Reply With Quote